Thread: Briton Chariots

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Default Briton Chariots

Hi,

I have a question regarding the British Chariots. As far as I know, the Britons only used Chariots as a means of transportation. This is in contrast with Egypt, who used its chariots a lot more agressive.

I'm not a big fan of Chariots though and I was wondering: Will Britain have chariots?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, a quick search didn't give me any satisfying results.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Default Re: Briton Chariots

It seems that they most certainly will do so; both light and heavy variations. I doubt they will be able to throw javelins from the back of them, though. That might be hardcoded.
    EB TEAM MEMBER

EB EXPECTS THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Yes, the Britons will have chariots.

We have implemented them because they were used in Britannia in the time period we have as subject, and because the insular La Tene Celts actually did use them offensively, much in the way of javelin-throwing and such fun stuff. They were primarily a replacement for the horse in the insular La Tene culture, which had replaced the chariot in the mainland La Tene culture.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

eypt didnt use chariost bu 250BC. CA just missed it by 500 years...they were very close tough :'D

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Thanks for the answers guys.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Still doesn't answer the "do the British chariots throw javelins" question... do they? I mean, I don't see why not, just change the projectile type right?

Anyway, can anyone tell me conclusively which factions or which areas are capable of training chariot units? Can the Seleucids do it? They did use them to little effect in battle right? The Pontics must mus be capable IIRC they used them against the Romans to little effect. I don't know about the Ptolemies, something tells me no.

While we're on the exotic weapons topic, who gets elephants?
    The Western wind carries with it the scent of triumph...

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turin
    The Pontics must mus be capable IIRC they used them against the Romans to little effect.
    Actually the pontics were among the few who used their chariots to GREAT effect against the romans. Mithradates used them to effectively slaughter a roman army, I don't remember the name of the battle and exact year when it took place though.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

ehhh i hope briton generals don't use chariots and if they do at least mak it a bit more powerful than vanilla if possible..those enemy general cavalry keep on chasing my generals -.-;; and kicks the chariot's butt too

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

The British represent the Cassi, and the Cassi kings and chieftans fought from chariot, so it will be a chariot unit. However, chariots are being reworked; they had several uses to the Celts. A missile platform (javelins), with younger warriors driving and throwing javelins, a transport (we can't represent this), and as a kind of infantry/light cavalry disrupting tool. A British chariot could crush small ponies, and would certainly force them to break in multiple directions, as well as scatter infantry. They have to be used like the Celts intended for them to be effective; Celts supported them with cavalry or infantry who'd rush in and hit the disrupted formation. In that sense, they're very valuable. They are not a stand alone unit by any means, and shouldn't be used as such.
    NÝ dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.