Thread: Any Floridians who can lend some advice?

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Any Floridians who can lend some advice?

My career field is very in demand in Florida. I'm planning to move down there sometime this summer, and my staffing agency has asked me to pick from about five locales for them to start looking for the right fit for me.

I've picked;

Miami

Palm Beach

Hialeah

St Augustine

And I still need a fifth. I'd like something where I'm close to the water and at least 20-30 minutes from an urban area. (Restaurants, shopping, night life, etc.) I also prefer the Atlantic Coast.

Can anyone who's been there tell me a little about any of these places or somewhere I've over looked? I've done a little vacationing down there (mainly around St Augustine-Daytona area) but don't feel comfortable enough to really know the lay of the land.

and thanks in advance.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Default Re: Any Floridians who can lend some advice?

Not a Floridian, but I'd advise Miami or Tampa Bay.

Although it must be said Miami is more the place of the young and beautiful looking for the next party, while Tampa Bay is just as good weather but a better locale for living and working.

Tampa is not the Atlantic coast, however. But then again, being born about 500m from it, how can I not love the Caribbean?

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Thanks for the advice, Wizard. I don't like the impression I have of Tampa... Kinda seems like Baltimore (grimy, industrial) with less teeth and more shotguns.

Miami does sound nice.

(I tried searching for a bikini emoticon. To hell with it.)

Being a floridian, i say move to Gainesville. It is a nice small college town people which a high standard of living. It's even in the middle of the state so nowhere is to far away to drive. If your looking for a big city I would say Jacksonville. I have lived in florida most of my life and those two would be great places to live. I would go to Jacksonville for a big city because it has some of the fastest growing counties in the US to the south of the city. Palm beach is a very liberal place... just to let you know. St Aug would be nice except it is rather touristy. Tampa would be a good place too... I have only been there twice but it seemed like a great place. I hope that helps
    Last edited by xemitg; 05-25-2005 at 04:14.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

me=no floridian, but I'd say Tampa as well.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

I was just in Miami in February, and thought it was a lot of fun. The South Beach strip, with its Art Deco buildings, was certainly the highlight, along with Cuban food and the bikini-clad loungers. The university campus was also nice; I wondered how students could get any work done when it was 80 degrees and sunny virtually all the time!

My dad lives near West Palm, but too far out for me to say. I think it can be quite expensive in Palm Beach proper.

I thought Tampa was kind of nice when i visited there a while ago.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Guys i'm telling you that most of those coastal cities are tourist traps and better to be avoided. The exception to an extent is Jacksonville and Tampa.

I would say Miami, my dad said it was very nice there. He visited earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin_Rules
    I was just in Miami in February, and thought it was a lot of fun. The South Beach strip, with its Art Deco buildings, was certainly the highlight, along with Cuban food and the bikini-clad loungers. The university campus was also nice; I wondered how students could get any work done when it was 80 degrees and sunny virtually all the time!
    Hm, you paint quite a nice picture. I think I'll probably do a few three month stints in different areas in Fl before I decide.

I think I'll start out with Miami or Palm Beach.

Sorry xemtig, I kinda like tourist areas. Usually means there's something to do, if you can put up with the visitors.