Thread: Bribing

Default Bribing

Hello all. I just noticed that I can no longer bribe other armies to join my faction. I'm playing as the Greeks and attempting to bribe Gauls and Romans. Does that have anything to do with it? Or is it something they changed in the 1.2 patch? Because I know I used to be able to have enemy armies join my side.

Default Re: Bribing

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrvs
    Hello all. I just noticed that I can no longer bribe other armies to join my faction. I'm playing as the Greeks and attempting to bribe Gauls and Romans. Does that have anything to do with it? Or is it something they changed in the 1.2 patch? Because I know I used to be able to have enemy armies join my side.
    When you bribe an army, the units only join you if they are among the ones you can produce.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

It's not whether you can produce at the moment but rather of your culture. Thus, though Seleucids can't build cataphracts at the very beginning, you can bribe te Parthian and Armenia ones. Also, the Roman factions can bribe each other's gladiators even if they are not buildable for some.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Also, 1.2 upped the cost of bribing significantly. Also, it scales the price according to your treasury size. Now a 2 unit rebel army can cost 6k compared to 400 before.

Hmm, well is there a way I can mod the game so that all units can join my army like in MTW?

...don't think so. Unless you make their units buildable by your faction.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Yes there is already a mod that allow you to become the commander of that army if you bribe it here the link.

http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=480
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

....mindboggling. But that means all my carefully modded units are going to written over again *wails* To use, or not to use, that is the question...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Just as a matter of interest, will any mercenary units in a bribed army join your forces? After all, they're in it for the money...

BTW pezhetairoi, like the Oscar Wilde quotes!
    Last edited by vastator; 05-27-2005 at 11:05.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    ....mindboggling. But that means all my carefully modded units are going to written over again *wails* To use, or not to use, that is the question...
    Whether you can bribe and then command it or not depends entirely on the unit's ownership line in export_descr_unit. If you add all the different cultures (babarian, greek, roman, ct_carthage, eastern, egyptian) then all the units bribed will go to the other side.

All the changes in descr_model_battle and the UI files are just there to ensure the unit cards show up and the skins look right on the battlefield. You can convert it yourself, with some time, if you've modded your dmb.

On warning though, the ownership line also controls who gets what in custom battles. If you assign ownership of a unit to everyone then everyone will be able to recruit it in custom battles as well.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

If i manage to get my head around the fairly complicated instructions, i'll download that mod. It will be a great help to me, because as the greeks, i always bribe away full post-marian roman stacks, and being able to keep them would have been a great help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Well you can always mod them to be buildable by your faction. Go look in the forge forum there should be instruction for doing that ;)
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

Or more properly in the Modding General forum or the Guides, Tutorials and Tools forum, as the Forge is only for mods in development

Or you could just go through you export_descr_unit and replace every ownership line with the following:
    Code:
    ownership        barbarian, greek, roman, eastern, egypt, ct_carthage
    Everything else is just bells and whistles...
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Also, 1.2 upped the cost of bribing significantly. Also, it scales the price according to your treasury size. Now a 2 unit rebel army can cost 6k compared to 400 before.
    Hey katank,

It's not treasury actually but income size (see Ludus Magna thread).