Thread: Load / Save Bug

Default Load / Save Bug

Hi,

I am reading a lot of the load/save bug. Could someone explain to me what the consequence if that bug. Please.. someone..

Default Re: Load / Save Bug

When the AI sieges a town and you save the game and then load, you find that it has stopped the siege.

just patch to 1.2 and problem solved. Actually, in 1.1 I didn't have that problem either. Hmm.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Further, CA insists that this is just the AI reassessing its priorities.

See sticked post for more details on CA's plans

Quote Originally Posted by CA
    Q.. It has been commented on the .Com boards that the issues within RTW would be corrected in the expansion. Will a patch with these corrections be released at the same time for the people that have bought RTW but do not want to buy the expansion?

A. There will be an announcement concerning the load / save issue, the expansion pack and a definitive statement on any chance of a patch regarding this issue. This will not be announced until some after E3. I am sorry it's not going to be any earlier. This is not a 'one dimensional issue' and I am not trying to fob you off, but I am not in a position to make a clear statement at the moment and I won't be able to do so for at least a couple of weeks. As soon as I can I will. As for the TWC FAQ the first part of the answers will go up on the official forums on Friday.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Not only that, but if AI planned in next turn to lay seige or assault unwalled city, after load it would change mind and retreat toward home provinces.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    just patch to 1.2 and problem solved. Actually, in 1.1 I didn't have that problem either. Hmm.
    The problem exists, in all versions of the game.
    And was first time discovered with 1.2 games.

The only reason why it "looks" unnoticable that much (and wasn't noticed for all those months), is that it mostly happens outside fog od war.

Still, the biggest impact of the bug is slow AI expansion.
    Especialy in later parts of the game when, due to micormanaging, less turns are played per gaming session (so AI gets bugged more often).

So to summarize all the above the AI reconsiders his strategy enery time that the game is loaded. I personaly have noticed that the AI (most of the times) end a siage as you load a saved game or he chaige his plans.

However are we humans do that every time we load a saved game espesialy if we have not play the game for a long time ?

I personally can not remenber what was my strategy for the next turns if i have not played the game for two days. So in another point of view the bug itself it could be considered as an AI breakthrougth. In this case we can say that the AI acts more than a Humman rather than a computer.

So to summarize all the above the AI reconsiders his strategy every time that the game is loaded. I personally have noticed that the AI (most of the times) end a seage as you load a saved game or he change his plans.

However are we humans do that every time we load a saved game especially if we have not play the game for a long time ?

I personally can not remember what was my strategy for the next turns if i have not played the game for two days. So in another point of view the bug itself it could be considered as an AI breakthrough. In this case we can say that the AI acts more than a Human rather than a computer

I have no problem with AI reassessin situation after load.

But, I do have problem with bad reassessins such as always canceling seiges, or next turn assault planes.

Like that AI got "fallback" command for one turn.

I have seen the bug at work in the 3 campaigns I've played since 1.2, and the main effect is slow to sometimes almost no AI expansion. But on my current one I started with the approach of conquering as much of the map as I could before turning attention to Rome, and a curious thing has happened: the AI now seems to be keeping most of its sieges against me (few though they be) intact. With so many cities and armies in the field, now I usually can't even finish one turn before saving and quitting for the night (I have only an hour or less to play after family duties are done). Yet they seem to be not breaking off their sieges as was almost invariably the case earlier. Go figure....

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Post Re: Load / Save Bug

As player1 said, the biggest problem is slow AI expansion. This is important in the very early game, as factions take over rebel cities to build their economies up. To get around this, play as many turns as you can at the beginning of a campaign without saving/loading (at least 20 turns). If you have a few hours, this should be easy since the turns go quickly early on (not as much city management). Once the game has progresses this far, try to play at least 5 turns between reloads, so city sieges can be resolved. If you micromanage cities, this can be tough, it is best to create a turn pattern, a checklist that you do for every turn that allows you to quickly finish the turn (combat aside). Find ways to quickly step through your cities and troop stacks to give orders.

There was a Ludus Magna thread about this "bug":
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45860
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

please also keep in mind that the siege doesn't just magically disappear when you load a saved game. what happens is that the AI lifts the siege AFTER you press the "end turn" button. the only exception is when, from the start of the siege, the AI's intent is to starve out the city but not assault it.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

it's only in patch 1.2v. when you stop the game and quit. after you load the game the AI will forget he as sieging and will stop as soon as you hit the end turn button even if there were only 2 years left

We do not sow.

As I said it is in all patches and unpatched game.

I recently reinstalled and tested it.

No offence, but which forum have you been posting all your posts?!!... This issue/bug was first noticed AFTER patch 1.2 and it wasn't as pronounced in 1.0/1.1. In fact, in my testing, 1.0/1.1 allowed better AI expansion, even though there were many AWOL stacks. In 1.2, without fail the AI lifts sieges at the end of the first turn after a load. You can test this to your hearts content or look into the very detailed thred in the Ludas Magna.

Regards.
    AMD A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
    Asus EN7800GTX TOP 256MB
    Kingston 2x1 GB DDR400 Ram
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W

Quote Originally Posted by sik1977
    No offence, but which forum have you been posting all your posts?!!... This issue/bug was first noticed AFTER patch 1.2 and it wasn't as pronounced in 1.0/1.1. In fact, in my testing, 1.0/1.1 allowed better AI expansion, even though there were many AWOL stacks. In 1.2, without fail the AI lifts sieges at the end of the first turn after a load. You can test this to your hearts content or look into the very detailed thred in the Ludas Magna.

Regards.
    Pezhetaroi posts, generally, in the Guides section. He is a good tactician and strategist, and he has some great things to say in there.

My thoughts on Save/Load bug: The enemy forget all plans and turn back towards their own lands, (if they were going for some enemy lands).

The best way to counter is to play for longer sessions.

oops, guess I've been getting the wrong end of the whole thing. My bad. Well, strategy map AI has been behaving well in my game so I'll say no more about it to prevent further embarrassment :)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

dude is the guide section fun, i'll think i'm going there too cuz colloseum is getting boring.

We do not sow.