Thread: Dirty DeLay

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default Dirty DeLay

It seems more of the threads around the edges of DeLay's "I'm not a crook" cape are starting to unravel:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7994750/
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Default Re: Dirty DeLay

I heard on the news that the democrats took a lot more of those not-so-ethical trips than republicans.

They had better watch themselves, nobody's hands look particularly clean.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    I heard on the news that the democrats took a lot more of those not-so-ethical trips than republicans.

If I remember correctly - the House Ethics committee back down on an investigation on Delay when they began to discover that other Representives and Senators had done many of the same things Delay is accused of regrading PACs and trips.

Let me see if I can find the article.

Edit: Didn't find the actual article - but this one alludes to it.

On Thursday, The Washington Post reported that DeLay and other members, including some Democrats, had accepted trips from the Korea-U.S. Exchange Council, which had registered as a foreign agent. That would make the trips a violation of House rules, although both DeLay and the group said he was not told about the registration until last week.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar13.html
    Last edited by Redleg; 05-26-2005 at 23:57.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager

I don't dispute that, but the malfeasance described in this article deals with (IMO) the lowest of the low when it comes to political dirty pool: raising money illegally then using that dirty money to get people elected.

It's an issue that we Canadians are very familiar with since our own government (the Liberal Party, you will be happy to hear, Panzer ) is teetering on the brink of collapse due to the discovery of some very similar sneakyness.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

"I don't dispute that, but the malfeasance described in this article deals with (IMO) the lowest of the low when it comes to political dirty pool: raising money illegally then using that dirty money to get people elected."

That is the essence of "soft money" that Feingold and McCain were trying to get rid of with their bill. More loopholes have been found and abused by both parties, though.

It's an issue that we Canadians are very familiar with since our own government (the Liberal Party, you will be happy to hear, Panzer ) is teetering on the brink of collapse due to the discovery of some very similar sneakyness.
    I wouldn't say the Liberals are "teetering" or even near the brink of collapse.
    ..::Noobs don't own themselves!::..

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

what's funny is how Tom Delay presents himself as a strong supporter of 'values'

Screwing as many people as he can to consolidate more and more power isn't a family value.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krypta
    They certainly have been hurt by it, but in the latest poll they were still 11 points ahead of the conservatives.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

They certainly have been hurt by it, but in the latest poll they were still 11 points ahead of the conservatives.
    Yes, and you would have to agree that it is significant considering that not more than a month ago we saw the Conservatives polling well ahead of the Libs. If we were having this discussion then I would probably have agreed with you. We'll have to wait for Gomery.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    I don't dispute that, but the malfeasance described in this article deals with (IMO) the lowest of the low when it comes to political dirty pool: raising money illegally then using that dirty money to get people elected.
    If they want to take down DeLay I'll have no problem with it- that is, so long as the myriad Democrats who have done the same thing are serving jail terms along side him. Otherwise, I'll call it for what it is- a partisan witch hunt.

If they want to apply these rules evenly and bring down all the offenders, then I'll be standing by applauding as each and every one is drummed out of politics- including DeLay.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Well then I guess its bye bye for Madame Hillary also
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Good, get rid of all of those politicians.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Nearly all of them have recieved the funneled aid for elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypta
    Really? Is that why they only survived the recent budget/confidence vote in the commons by having the speaker cast the deciding vote, which was the first time in Canadian history that has happened? Had Stronach not defected, the gov't would have fallen.

No, I think it is more than accurate to say they are teetering on the brink, and there are certain to be a few more confidence measures before the year is out.

- TSM

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball

No, I think it is more than accurate to say they are teetering on the brink, and there are certain to be a few more confidence measures before the year is out.
    In a very limited sense, you are right-- the government is on the brink of falling. But what I was referring to is the fact that even if it falls, the polls show that the liberals right now would win an even bigger government in the next election.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Really? Is that why they only survived the recent budget/confidence vote in the commons by having the speaker cast the deciding vote, which was the first time in Canadian history that has happened? Had Stronach not defected, the gov't would have fallen.
    Yes, it was the first time the speaker had had to cast a deciding vote in a confidence motion, but it isn't the first time a speaker has had to break a tie in parliament. The speaker had to actually break tie on May 4th of this year. Any minority government's position is tenous, thats granted, but to claim that this government is in a more precarious position than it was pre-confidence is not accurate at all. I, however, would be interested in your reasons for thinking so.

The Conservative/Bloc strangle hold on the commons is over. As I was saying to Hurin, that if we were having this conversation a little while ago, as in Pre-NDP/Liberal merger, I might've agreed with you, but not since and not now. Furthermore, the Liberals just picked up another seat in the recent Labrador by-election. Now if my math is correct, thats one more extra seat, which means that any further confidence motions put forth by the Bloc/Conservative alliance will not see the light of day, considering that the Liberals no longer need the help of the independents and the speaker traditionally votes(and will vote) with the government. Any further confidence motions carried out by the Bloc/Conservatives would in fact be done at their own perile, and not the other way around, especially considering the polling numbers Hurin has eluded to.