Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samurai Warlords - A Shogun style mod for MTW-VI

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: Samurai - A Shogun style mod for MTW-VI

Quote Originally Posted by TomteOfDoom
    Honestly? They look much better than the original MTW cavalry. The MTW cavalry was strangely pixelated if I remember correctly, and the riders looked like little else than blobs of color. Sure the cavalry is still not as crisp as the other units(except ashi xbow o_O) but IMO they are decent.

However, I will try this stuff out and see what I can do. One thing though, shouldn't the sashimono have faction-color coded color-values?
    Well, yes at least they look like Cav.
    It wouldn't be a catastrophe if we can't change them. And you may be right in that the horses are certainly more crisp than the riders in M:TW.

The sashimono would normally have to be faction coloured, that is pink/green.
    However, like I said in the screenshot thread, I assume that the grey we use is still recognized as faction colour, as it was in original Shogun.
    It's a bit weird. I'm stil looking into it.....

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I have a few more notes from beta6 - you may already know, but here goes:

* Mikawa province is famous for its KERNS
    * Can't retrain hatamoto (specifically royal or ex-royal units can't be retrained in a dojo that can train new hatamoto -- guess the game doesn't see them as the same unit)
    * Hojutsu dojo - I built the dojo but can't train any teppo - just not showing. Is this an "era" issue, if so what date do they come on line?
    * Hojutsu dojo and advanced hojutso dojo BOTH showing in the build parchment at the same time - is this intended? (Like the light and light/heavy cavalry drill is in NTW, for instance)
    * Resource labels may need looking at - can't remember where it showed, probably trade scroll, but saw salt labelled as "STW_SALT" on rollover text (tastier than the original, yummm...)

As for the campaign, the Satomi re-emergence has been trying to take Mutsu off me, with its waves of yari cav. Simple solution, come into the forest and meet my yari samurai. After three repelled invasions I thought it was time to take the matter to them, and now their Daimyo is cowering under siege, and I have the launch pad required to hit the Uesegi across a river.

Yes, nice mod, and enjoying the campaign. Hope the notes help, and really looking forward to some hero names
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

I've got my teppos coming now, didn't notice the era had changed till I couldn't retrain my depleted xbows any more.

Another two provinces showed up with spearmen and fyrdmen as province specialities. I guess this is down to old units in the unit_prod file, so should be able to sort those issues once I download Gnome again (lost it when my old machine died )

Also having some trouble with geisha marker bifs and bufs, can't seem to get them in the right directory to satisfy the game. I'll have another look at that tonight, meanwhile there's a very sinister-looking question mark lurking in the shadows...

Uesegi now eliminated, and I have my second iron province at last. Takeda just attacked too many of my ships, so I decided to relieve them of Etchu and Shinano. Im now the richest and have the biggest army, so guess the campaign's going well, but can I get anyone to marry my daimo??? I don't know what it is but nearly all royals are unmarried everywhere I look on the map, not just my faction. It's not like there's a shortage of princesses...

Discussion forum thread

Also having some trouble with geisha marker bifs and bufs, can't seem to get them in the right directory to satisfy the game.
    Try campmap/pieces/agents and campmap/pieces/smap/agents.

Also, please keep it coming. It's very usefull. You seem to be one of the few who plays the sp campaign atm and I only have time for specific tests.
    I'm taking notes and read everything, even if I'm not replying everytime.

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Hi, got the geisha in the right folder eventually - just shouldn't have been doing it at 2am in the first place. The highlight ring comes up offset slightly from the piece icon on the camp map (similar problem as in Pike & Musket Russian stacks). She works okay now, but had no BIF for the unit training panel (used a copy of Ulama for now), and no portrait, but I'll see if I can copy some princesses across.

Gnome got rid of the inappropriate units showing as region specialities! I see some of the STW_units are duplicated in the prod file. Haven't checked to see if they're EXACT copies or for mercs or rebels...

Any joy with the ashi bow BIFs yet? I see there's an entry in the prod file, so tempted to get it going.

Some of the ships show up in unexpected sea regions when built, but I can't remember any of the names right now. I know Shinano and Kasuza put them in the same bay, even though both ports are in a different sea region. I think Mutsu puts them out a region away as well (but that was in beta5 campaign, since abandoned).

Balance on AI armies looks pretty good, except where cash-strapped, and then still get lots of xbows. Re-emergences provide quite scary armies, especially when it happens in the province-next-door. More later...

Discussion forum thread

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Default Re: Samurai Warlords - A Shogun style mod for MTW-VI

Geisha
    the highlight ring is out of place?
    i know how to fix that, i'll try and survive a campagin game long enough to build one
    (yes, i have not yet won a campaign in the mod i started - i am getting annoyed at the medieval "clan died out" screens, so will Shogunise those, or maybe R'as or Tomi hve some ideas...)

Ships
    i have not yet found the cause of them being placed in the wrong sea zones,
    2 possibilities,
    the game is using one of the two following data elements to "place" ships
    1. - location of ports, will try moving them around
    2. - first adjacent sea region - if so will move the ports into the region
    (i spent DAYS getting the map working right in the first place, have no intention of going there again - i am not going to go in and swap the sea regions around, that would be a MAJOR headache)

PLEASE try to recall all the errors so i can fix them

Ashi Bows - i think Tomte is working on those

UNIT DUPES - dont touch!!
    one set is for SP and one for MP
    they will be seperated into different unit files soon, we have been unable to get the game to behave with two entries,
    sometimes it builds MP variants in SP campaign by mistake and then you cannot merge or retrain the beggars...
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

the highlight ring is out of place?
    I fixed that months ago, don't know how the wrong one turned up
    in the upload.

Hi, some more notes from my campaign:

Awaji - 'famous for Japanese Teppo', but has no iron, so they can't be trained there (need Yoroi).
    Ship production: Kasuza and Shimosa put ships into Sagami bay, but ports are both in Tone Bay. Ships out of Shinano would be quite some feat
    Hatomoto - CAN retrain royal units, but not standard ones.

I still need to go around all my ship-building provinces to check the rest for where ships come out. Campaign nearly finished, just the southernmost island to conquer now and only Ryozuji left to oppose me. Shouldn't be more than a couple of turns as I have complete control of the sea, and huge teched up armies ready to invade

Discussion forum thread

The SP and MP unit files are now split and a new startpos file made for MP. This should fix the unit retraining and recombining issues in the SP campaign, and it should fix the missing corpses as well.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Hi there,

Just to add some feed-back on sp campaings. Playing with Satomi clan, level hard, smap6. Also played Shimazu level hard, smap5.

GREAT improvement in balanced AI armies in smap6 compared with smap5. Lots of mercenaries but too expensive for Satomi, not for richer Shimazu. AI does not seem to use mercenaries but I think it didn't in MTW either so not a mod issue? Still lots of Crossbows, perhaps make them a bit more expensice than ashi spears, then AI will build more ashi and less Xbows? (Hey, don't remove Xbows. it is another unit type and better than nothing if you have no archers)

Great that river maps have two bridges (Chikugo, Shimosa, Musashi). The AI does not handle this too well but still much more interesting that a bloodbath with one bridge. Also better hills and mountain maps, not so steep as in Shogun.

AI playing well, never had so much grief! backstabbing-surprise attacks aplenty. Really tough for Satomi. No-one wants to marry or make alliances with me but this may be for playing in 'hard', although I remember more sucess with diplomacy in MTW

Units: Yari cavalry has more punch than in Shogun, this is good since they are so expensive and carry lances. Hatamoto, great unit. Taishos and daimyos are however too difficult to kill in battle.

small bug: Chikuzen 'famous for its pictish cavalry' ?!

Overall great mod as I have said before!

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

the famous for 'pictish cavalry' 'horsemen' etc etc is due to the existence of other units from viking in the unit prod file,

with the decision to go to an overwite mod the next version wont have anything but shogun units in it, and that will eliminate the odditities

B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Thanks for the reply. I think it is good also if you can completely separate MP from SP units. I suspected this was the reason for the duplicated units in unitprod. At least twice I have had missing corpes, and once in smap5 I was able to train Hatamoto at the cheaper MP price, 400 instead of 1000 I think. For the battle graphics, the game definitively gets confused between SP and MP units (if you change the settings in column 48 to have more BIFs available).

Not having starting units in smap6 has solved retraining issues but leaves a less interesting and balanced starting situation. Some Rebel provinces (Kozuke) have no garrison at all and never train one. Clans starting with several training provinces have an advantage.

Hey, this is a great mod - all the great parts of Shogun with the extra features of Medieval added in too. There's something great about a Kensai getting 300+ kills and becoming a Natural Born Killer...

A few ideas...

-Kensai used to require a Legendary Sword Dojo rather than just the Famous one. That way they came in a lot later, which I think is a good thing - they're pretty special.
    -Also they took four turns to build, rather than just one. Considering how good they are, being able to build them so quickly kindof makes other units obsolete.
    -They also seem a lot more powerful... I've seen single Kensai with 15+ Valour take on and defeat armies 1,000+ strong. Surely that's a bit too much? Maybe Valour works differently to how honour did or something, but still.

-As to new unit ideas, I don't think that Crossbow Ashigaru should become obsolete once the Teppo appear. Surely clans unable to get their hands on Gunpowder would keep using them? OK so their purposes are essentially the same and one really is just an upgrade of the other, but there are millions of units in Medieval that are basically the same.
    -Idea for a new unit: something to come somewhere between the Ashigaru and Samurai. I don't know that much about military history, would such a unit have existed or were all professional soldiers Samurai?
    -Armoured Ashigaru... slower but tougher. Requiring Yari Dojo and Yoroi.
    -Some kind of stealthy archer type unit similar to the Welsh Bandits in VI.

Also, a big idea I haven't read mentioned yet...

Why not include the Ainu? They were a people occupying the northermost island of Japan, and the reason why it's not included on the Shogun map. They also occupied parts of the northern end of Honshu, and which was comparatively undeveloped (which is why the provinces are so huge in Shogun). They were a different culture to the Japanese, with their own religion, however interacted quite frequently with them and were often at war. So, to include them, you could split up the norhternmost provinces so as to add one or two more (I'm assuming adding the northernmost island would be too difficult/time consuming) provinces for the Ainu to control.

Because the Ainu weren't Japanese, their unit line-up would be very different...
    -No Samurai of any sort whatsoever.
    -No Warrior Monks.
    -No Teppo, so only Yari and Crossbow Ashigaru.
    -Instead, they would have a load of special and unique units. Possibly armed with big arse-kicking Axes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123