Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestion on map

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Re: Suggestion on map

Well, I meant legally. Removing CD protection is an avenue no one will go down, for obvious reasons, at least for the mods that -intend- to stay legal. Options that require us to rewrite portions of the .exe are not open to us...
    Cogita tute

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

It's quite possibly legal to uncrack the EXE, provided you don't remove the CD protection, and particularly if you reencrypt it afterwards. Legal or not, though, Activision has a lot more money in their legal budget than the entire RTW modding community put together times a hundred, and they can easily sue any of us for anything even remotely reasonable and thereby bankrupt the defendant instantly. So I don't think anyone traceable and based in the U.S. or any of several other countries is going to try doing this or supporting it. Unless CA gives their permission, which of course they won't. Just saying: people have cracked the hardcode.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Or you can let me do it, because as far as I know cracking EXE's isn't illegal in Belgium

Not that I can crack though. But you get the point: as long as someone living in a country where it isn't illegal to do so does it, they ain't got nothing on you.

Well, perhaps there'd be problems with putting it on-line. Hmm. Unless it's put on-line by a person who lives in a country where cracking EXE's isn't illegal, I guess...

My God what a mess.
    Last edited by Jebus; 06-16-2005 at 01:04.
    Je ne vois qu'infini par toutes les fenêtres.

Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Well, this isn't a game like Half Life was, where you could create .dll's to take advantage of the hard code and manipulate things somewhat. Believe me, Vercingetorix and I have discussed it.
    Cogita tute

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12