Thread: Hold the line

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Hold the line

After a phase of expansion the (real) Romans tried to get borders they could defend because further expansion was not feasible. In RTW the common approach is to conquer the whole map?

Did anybody ever try to stop expansion and hold the lines? What would be the right frontiers?

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

Default Re: Hold the line

I did it with Scipio once - just to play with the post-marius units. I took sicily and carthages cities in africa and corsica and then stopped.

It worked nicely, but Brutii got monstrously strong getting all of greece, dacia and Thrace and asia minor. The egyptians looked like strong bastards too (those two were allies with a common Border at Thapsus). I never finished, but my plan was to wait for the Brutii to get outlawed (if possible).
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Once, as Dacia, I stopped to the east after capturing Tanais and Campus Sarmatae to get a good frontline at the river there and avoid war with Parthia, Seleucids, Egyptians and others. I just left two half-full armies to guard the area while I concentrated my efforts on the germans, gauls, romans and greeks and so on.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    After a phase of expansion the (real) Romans tried to get borders they could defend because further expansion was not feasible. In RTW the common approach is to conquer the whole map?

Did anybody ever try to stop expansion and hold the lines? What would be the right frontiers?
    thát's what i do all the time. i've created

Alexanders Empire
    Greek Colonies
    Roman Empire
    Carthaginian Empire

and some home made empires

We do not sow.

As the Julii and Brutii I found that setting up forts is the best way to prevent enemy reinforcements from coming in at you and to keep an eye on the border. With Julii I just blockade the Alps and the bridge to Massila to keep Gauls from pouring in early in the game so I could focus on more crucial things like Greece and Carthage When I first played the game and didn't do this I had gauls coming at me from all directions when I captured their italian towns. It was crazy.

Brutii I just built several forts along rivers to prevent the eastern parts from coming in. It's basically a page out of the Romans, if I find a suitable river where someone has to cross it to get to the other side, I blockade it and place towers to keep an eye over it.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Look about through the old topics in here, you should find a topic where someone has posted a picture of their mini-map where they have recreated the Roman Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.