Thread: Peasant Mods?

Default Peasant Mods?

I'm sure I'm not the first to have thought of this, but being new to the forums I haven't been able to find this: Is there a mod out there that allows for increased sizes of peasant units for migration/colonization purposes? I would like larger peasant units that escalate proportionally to the size of settlements (peasants 120-->migrants 250-->colonists 500), so that I can shift city population more efficiently and with greater historical accuracy.

I think I saw that there is a maximum size for a modded unit of 60, or was it 500? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Peasant Mods?

Max number of soldiers in a unit is 60 as per export_descr_unit. That then gets doubled and quadrupled for large and huge unit size settings.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 05-27-2005 at 14:45.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

How does the large and huge unit size switch work? Sorry if these are elementary questions but I'm new to RTW and to the TW series, and I wasn't able to find similar information in the forums here.

Right now I'm playing through my first campaign, and the only significant issue I'm having since patch 1.2 is the inability to move large populations around. Can I switch the large/huge on just for particular units or is it all or nothing? Can I switch it mid-campaign? Is the default for the Roman campaign already large, with peasants and some barbarian mercs at 120 men?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

To change the unit size settings, I think its in the main menu click options, then tick advanced options. It should appear then. It only works on new campaign games though.

To change the size of individual units you'd have to mod them.

Welcome to the forum

to change the unit size as the population of ur city grows is impossible i think(this is wot u wanted to do right?) it would be much simpler to create serparate units. ie have one lot of peasants with smaller unit size avaliable at only lv 1 city, then have another different unit of peasants which has more men avaliable at only lv 2, etc etc and so on and so forth. u could use the same skins and eveything and it would require a minimum amount of editing
    so for example have:
    peasants rank 1- trainable at lv 1,2 city unit size small
    peasants rank 2- trainable at lv 3,4 city unit size medium
    peasants rank 3- trainable at lv 5 city unit size large...
    easy lol hope that helps and welcom to the forums
    cheers knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Instead of went through all those skinning and copy, paste, why don't you increase the amount of man in the desc_unit to a larger one? BTW Richard you know what the max one can increase the unit to? I mean from 60-XX
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

Instead of went through all those skinning and copy, paste, why don't you increase the amount of man in the desc_unit to a larger one?
    this isnt wot he was asking(at least i dont think)
    he wanted the peasant unit sizes to grow as the city grew(i think)

BTW Richard you know what the max one can increase the unit to? I mean from 60-XX
    richard answered this question already for u the max unit size in descr_units.txt is 60 this is then doubled and then double again depeding on the unit sizes u have selected in the options.

there would be no need to copy and paste skins in my solution. all u need to do is copy and paste the peasant entries in the relevant text documents and renaming the unit. It would use the same modles, and skins.

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

I think what he was asking is to mod the game so he can migrate populations. Peasants are at maximum number of units (60) on default. You can't get bigger than this. This means at the hugest setting, you get 240 peasants max. That's the max per unit (without officers).

What I suggest you do, is just mod their build time to 0 and cost to be very low. So in one turn, you can create 240 x 10 = 2400 citizens (a full stack) for migration, per settlement.

ya that would prolly work better than my idea which didtn really give him wot he wanted which was larger peasant sizes but i have a question now...wot do u mean by migration?? i know the meaning of the word but r u saynig there is a way to recruit peasants in one town then migrate them to another town somehow??? i have been playing Rome since its release and i was completely un aware that this was possible could someone confirm/deny this and if its true tell me how...please
    cheers knoddy

By 'migration' he just means building the peasant unit in one town (and thus reducing their population) and then disbanding it in another town (and thus increasing that town's population).
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out