Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questoins

Default A couple of questoins

1.RETRAIN

What does this mean?Will i get a unit that belongs to that period.....or will it just max my unit number.I mean If i put a group of 6 Principies will i get 6 Preatorians or will I get 41 Principies?

2.REINFORCEMENTS

Is there a patch or any kind of fix that allows you to controll them

3.What do all the pictures on you'r unit picture mean.I get shield or a weapon icon so i guess that is for upgraded deffence or attack....but i also get some red arrows and other symbols......what do they all mean?

Default Re: A couple of questoins

Quote Originally Posted by www2
    1.RETRAIN

What does this mean?Will i get a unit that belongs to that period.....or will it just max my unit number.I mean If i put a group of 6 Principies will i get 6 Preatorians or will I get 41 Principies?

2.REINFORCEMENTS

Is there a patch or any kind of fix that allows you to controll them

3.What do all the pictures on you'r unit picture mean.I get shield or a weapon icon so i guess that is for upgraded deffence or attack....but i also get some red arrows and other symbols......what do they all mean?
    Welcome back to the .ORG ww2,

1) Retraining means the unit you put in will be refilled to the original full strength.

2) Yes, in patch 1.2 you can control ALL your reinforcements up to the 20 unit Maximum. If you chose to control all your reinforcements then your soldiers won't arrive until there is an open slot for them

You also need to pick the "Unlimited men on the battlefied" in your preference text file in your RTW folder. Simply replace the word "FALSE" to "TRUE"

3) I think those sybols are in your manual. Those red arrows mean you are under missile fire (arrows, slings etc...).

Member Member Lord Dazed & Confused's Avatar

Hi WW2

Retrain does two things. It allows you to retrain your units back up to full strength and also upgrade your units weapons but once the Marius reforms take place all pre Marius troops are no longer retrainable as they are no longer available.

You can only control 20 units in battle at time but the 1.2 patch gives you the option to either let the AI control your reinforcements or have them come on to the battlefield to bring the number of units you control up to 20.

The shield and swords on the unit cards are weapon upgrades and the chevrons are experience they start at red then silver then gold

Hope this answers your questions

Member Member Lord Dazed & Confused's Avatar

Quietus quicker on the keyboard than me

Thanks a lot guys for a quick answer.....

There is another thing that i allways wondered about.

During a fight......lets say that one of my units is fighting another unit and the battle is evenly matched,so i bring in my archers and order shooting on enemy........does this mean that they will be hitting my own unit or not?

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

During a fight......lets say that one of my units is fighting another unit and the battle is evenly matched,so i bring in my archers and order shooting on enemy........does this mean that they will be hitting my own unit or not?
    Sadly enough, yes. There will be a bit of friendly fire that will take out three or four of your own men. But one thing i must warn you about - never ever put two archer units close together one in front of the other. The unit behind will inflict huge friendly fire casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Thanks once again.......

Again one question......I just got a message from the People that they think that I am the right man to rule the Rome.

Now, does this message tells me that I should attack Rome now or is it just a note that tells me that I can attack it when ever I want.

Not sure coz I thought that I could of attacked it right from the start

Avid Gaming Enthusist Member avatar's Avatar

You can attack it and not worry to much about a revolt. You should attack Rome when you think you can hold it. Rome is a cash cow. Enjoy.

I would recommend reading Frogbeastegg's Guide for Rome TW. She has written a great "manual" for all the Total War games. She is truly appreciated. You can find this manual in the forums. All the questions you have asked and the ones you have not asked yet are covered.

Here is a link.
    Last edited by avatar; 05-27-2005 at 23:38. Reason: Adding a link for gift from Frogbeastegg

Thanks for the link.....I got it yesterday and am going through it.

Can I also get my anwer as well? as most of you know that weapon upgrade are great for units and also it help them to increase their strenght. Is there a way to train gold shield and gold weapon at the same time? I played as julii roman and the highest I get is a silver never a gold before :(
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

you can get gold bonuses with special temples , like the artemis line of temples which give improved missle attack so eventually when you upgrade the Artemis temple enough you will get say ..+3 attack which means you would get a gold weapon icon.
    Same for other temples like Vulcan ( Scipii ) and Abdona ( SP? ) ( it's a Gaulish temple )

The highest you can get without temple bonuses , say with the Romans is silver , the temples provide the gold

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Attack and/or defense upgrades are great, but try to get experience upgrades. One experience upgrade is the same as: +1 Attack and +1 Defense and +2 Morale.

Temples can give you experience. Plan your temples according to what you want from a particular town/city. ie. infantry, missile, cavalry, etc.

Battlefields can give you experience. After battles make sure to combine damaged troops with other damaged troops of near or the same experience. Do not combine high experience with low experience; this dilution of the high level unit will bring your experience level way down. What to do with what is left? I let this unit (plus the others like it) follow my main armies around to reinforce where necessary, or disband to save some cash.

Attack and/or defense upgrades are helpful, but strive for experience upgrades.

I am just playing my first cam[eign on RTW (scipii) and am wonder when to expect the Marius Event.
    The booklet says there is no specific date for this to happen, but i assume there are earliest and latest dates for this to happen. I would like to know when, in your experiences, i can expect the event to happen

It can trigger after 220 B.C.
    For more details check " Is there a way to trigger events? " thread in Colosseum !!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the Org. , by the way!
    Last edited by IliaDN; 05-29-2005 at 13:47.

Welcome to the Guild!

Marius reforms can happen any time after 220bc, as long as there is an Imperial Palace present on mainland Italy.
    Last edited by Craterus; 05-29-2005 at 14:52.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

welcome welcome MA

We do not sow.

welcome to the .org MA .....iirc you have to have the imperial palace built on mainland Italy to trigger the event...and it has to be after 220 bc.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

And of course, in vanilla RTW, all it takes is for one roman faction to build the highest governor building.
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    One experience upgrade is the same as: +1 Attack and +1 Defense and +2 Morale.
    Didn`t know that. Thanks for the tip!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

morale bous cool. i didn't knew that. so i got 30 morale legionares in my army. awesome.

We do not sow.

Mahrabals apprentice welcome to the guild here dude, anyway I know about how the temple help. but can you just mod the desc_unit to get it?
    Lord of Lucius

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    2) Yes, in patch 1.2 you can control ALL your reinforcements up to the 20 unit Maximum. If you chose to control all your reinforcements then your soldiers won't arrive until there is an open slot for them

You also need to pick the "Unlimited men on the battlefied" in your preference text file in your RTW folder. Simply replace the word "FALSE" to "TRUE"
    That explains a lot. I was always angry why I was in the middle of a battle and my reenforcements wont come (quote: I wish it was night or the Prussians were coming). I was wondering if my generals were to bad.

Where do I have change these Unlimited men ...? Can I then lead all men into the battles?

Can i get some advice on killing (egytpian) chariots?
    I am play as brutii and have tried mass archery, skirmishers, light cavalry, even phalanxes. Can someone give me some effective tactics for killin these dam chariots without losing scores of troops in the process

Well, there is noreal easy way to kill them. You are just going to have to take the losses. pepper them with archers, and then try to get them tied down with some spear infantry, phalangites or some other unit good at killing cavalry, and then hit them from behind with seom cavalry. Even doing all this I still lose a lot of men bringing them down. they are right illegitamate male children on the battlefield. The same can be said of the british archer chariots, you have to catch the things first, which means light cavalry, and they still chew up your light cav.

Personally I think chariots should be as slow as heavy cav at least, maybe not the kataphrakts but normal Barbarian Nobles at least. Wooden wheels going over rough terrain that quickly, drawn by horses, sometimes two that you have to keep working in tandem, sounds like a recipe for either a broken wheel of a fouled team to me.

thanks for the help

You should also try velites or light auxilia as javelin armed units are very good for hunting down chariots and elephants.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Can you build first legionarry cohorts or can you only get them as a reward for senate missions?
    If i can build them what building do i need to build first to access them?

You can always mod the export_descr_unit and export_descr_buildings to get it, press ctrl + f and type in first oh you must open the export_descr_buildings first though. Here is an example, you can insert it in any building you want except dock of course. :) just copy that and paste it in the export_descr_buildings the same way as the other.

recruit "roman legionary first cohort ii" 0 requires factions { romans julii, }

Lord of Lucius

can you dumb that down a little for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast