Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Default Re: Dutch say no to European constitution

no big suprise.
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

I heard that the recent 10 country expansion was a factor in this, bercause they didn't get a vote in this, nor joining the Euro and probably a number of other reforms and changes. When the people finally got the vote on EU direction, they voted against it.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

They did what?!

Congratulations Dutch memebers - another job well done. Power to the people.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    Congratulations Dutch memebers - another job well done. Power to the people.
    Just to which people, that is the question...

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Whoopie! The contchy will soon be dead and buried. And if the constitution fails, the EU shall follow...

Power to the Dutch people, of course...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

The EU won't fall, but I'm pretty glad they voted it down, this means the EU can't ignore the 'no' vote from France as easily, and they'll have to seriously rethink what they are doing.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    ... and they'll have to seriously rethink what they are doing.
    They pass a "law" in the EU Parliment, requiring only National MPs to vote to pass the bill in the local country instituting the constitution, so the people can be bypassed.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

This continent seems to make some lousy Federalists.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Apparently, their leaders aren't going to let that slow them down. Question though, if a National Assembly or 2 vote it down, will the 'EU at any cost' change the rules again, so that only pro-EU voters can vote on it?

As I've said, in principal I think the EU is a great idea. But with Constitutions, the devil is in the details. I don't think you're going to get any kind of lasting support for federalization if you continue to strip people's rights away and disenfranchise them as voters. It plays to the fears of the people and confirms the worst doom & gloom predictions made by the naysayers.

Take the time to address the concerns of the French & the Dutch, fix the Constitution so people can understand it, and then move forward. Shoving it down people's throats will leave a really bad taste.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

will the 'EU at any cost' change the rules again, so that only pro-EU voters can vote on it?

you mean only in countrys where it would pass a referendum, or only allowing voters which would vote yes ?

if 2nd how ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

w00tage

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    if 2nd how ?
    I think the EU can push for a re-vote. They have done that before with Ireland and it worked.

I think the EU can push for a re-vote. They have done that before with Ireland and it worked.

with that quote i meant how would they only get pro-eu'ers voting ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Yay for ignorance and scare tactics. Pathetic really.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

with that quote i meant how would they only get pro-eu'ers voting ?
    How'd the Nazi's win their 1 legit election? Big scary guys outside of polling places saying "Vote for _____"
    No I'm not comparing the EU to the Nazi's, but it's basic scare tactics.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

How'd the Nazi's win their 1 legit election? Big scary guys outside of polling places saying "Vote for _____"
    No I'm not comparing the EU to the Nazi's, but it's basic scare tactics.

well i see that backfiring spectularly on any goverment that tried it.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

It's that countries government that does that scare tactics, it's the EU itself. If a nation is not up for what they offer they make hard to resist by adding new things to proposal. Sort of an offer you can't refuse situation.

It's that countries government that does that scare tactics, it's the EU itself. If a nation is not up for what they offer they make hard to resist by adding new things to proposal. Sort of an offer you can't refuse situation.

bribery, well the problem if your just bribing the no voting nations, the politicians of yes nations won't agree, the people of yes nations would get annoyed at it, so you've got to bribe everyone equally, which would involve raising taxes to pay for that.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

A major factor in the Dutch no vote was also the fact that they are a net contributor to the European Union, depsite the fact that they have little political voice within it now.
    The expansion has left the dutch with (I believe) 31 MEPs and there is a strong belief that with so many new member states, that the Netherlands is a big loser in terms of the population to MEPs gap and especially the economy size to MEPs gap. They feel that the voice of such a small nation no longer matters in such a large union and so they are perhaps not getting good value for money.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

will the 'EU at any cost' change the rules again, so that only pro-EU voters can vote on it?

you mean only in countrys where it would pass a referendum, or only allowing voters which would vote yes ?

if 2nd how ?
    Someone correct me, but isnt there already a provision that if even just 20 members approve it, they can still force it on the remainder? I seem to remember reading something about that.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I doubt it, almost everything needs to be decided by unanimity in the EU. Especially something like this. I also thing a EU constitution would require amending the constitution of certain individual nations, which some can't do without holding a (binding) referendum.

Besides, if the net contributors decide they don't want something, I don't think the rest can do much about it.

Someone correct me, but isnt there already a provision that if even just 20 members approve it, they can still force it on the remainder? I seem to remember reading something about that.
    Yes this is true....it is in the constitution. So you may have the scenario of countries voting not to adopt the const. but then having to because 20 of the others did. Personally I think it wont happen....after all one of the countries is France and we all know how upset they can get.

It's a dead duck. With the UK still to vote, with a very good probability that this could be OUR chance to screw Bliar properly. IMHO the no in the UK would be higher than the Dutch..possibly in the mid to high 70%...
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

A major factor in the Dutch no vote was also the fact that they are a net contributor to the European Union, depsite the fact that they have little political voice within it now.
    The expansion has left the dutch with (I believe) 31 MEPs and there is a strong belief that with so many new member states, that the Netherlands is a big loser in terms of the population to MEPs gap and especially the economy size to MEPs gap. They feel that the voice of such a small nation no longer matters in such a large union and so they are perhaps not getting good value for money.
    If that was correct then we do have a problem. The french appear to have voted no in part because they don't like a fundamental aspect even of a common market, never mind a political union, namely free movement of goods and services and the right of establishment (viz the Polish plumber). Thats not easy to fix. If the Dutch really have voted no because they are small, well, that seems like another rather intractable problem. (Maybe they could cobble together a small nations club? Seriously.)

I suspect some of this may be personalities though. The guiding lights of the EU certainly do seem to have a "Stuff the people, we have a vision" style of operating and they don't even seem to bother hiding it any more. The cheif factotum of the constitution, d'Estaing, seems from what little I understand of his french political career to be wholly unfit for any public life (taking diamonds from Bokassa wtf?), our appointee to the Commission, Mandleson, has managed the almost unprecedented feat of being forced to resign from the British cabinet not once but twice, and so on. And no one even seems to CARE about the level of fraud let alone be doing anything to stop it.

If Europe was not run by this bunch of crooks and charletans, but by competent politicians who listened to the people, it would be a very different story IMHO.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    Yes this is true....it is in the constitution.
    A law can't be applied until it is accepted, and for ti to get accepted it needs to be ratified everywhere

Or you sure this rule refered to the constitution itself ?

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin

If Europe was not run by this bunch of crooks and charletans, but by competent politicians who listened to the people, it would be a very different story IMHO.
    A big problem is that other countries can't really refuse a countries candidate, so a lot of countries seem to just send the people they want to get rid of

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Its just another sad example of modern democracy that its the repeating case of "well we've been elected now so forget what you think until the next general election." These 'visionaries' are happy just to stream roller over popular opinion by using the same amount of fear-tactics and scaremongering that the nay-sayers offer. Many of the aspects of the constitution seemed to me to be trying to give an even bigger engine to this steamroller process by reducing the rights of 'rogue' nations to resist the will of the collective. At least in national government you can remove the government if you don't like them after 4 or 5 years. With the proposed EU system you cannot do this.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 06-02-2005 at 13:58.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

This shows the immaturity among the European voters. Only in banana republics you vote with your stomache......

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    This shows the immaturity among the European voters. Only in banana republics you vote with your stomache......
    Wrong, m8, all voters all over the world vote with their stomach/wallet. And west-Europeans wallets (if not stomachs) have been very much emptied since the EU and Euro. I heard a French woman saying on TV “before Euro, I had money, now my pockets are constantly empty”. In Germany, the situation is virtually the same, they have even nicknamed the Euro in Teuro (teuer=expensive, sounds very similar to pronunciation of Euro), and all of my relatives and friends living there have began complaining drastically about how expensive everything became in last few years while wages cannot keep up with it.

Basically, when you have the two strongest countries in EU where the vast majority of population will say that their life’s quality has diminished significantly since introduction of Euro and that they have in no visible way profited from the EU, then you know that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. EU, that is.

Btw, I find it peculiar how the same people here disrespect the decision of the majority in this case whilst preaching how it must be respected when they talk about some decisions they favor personally. Mine, hypocrisy reigns supreme ones again, I guess.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast