Thread: Imperial Glory: Total War in napoleonic times!

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Default Imperial Glory: Total War in napoleonic times!

I was down in the computer games section in a department store a game called Imperial Glory. It's set in the early-nineteenth century and has a strategy map and a battle map, like total war. Has anybody else heard of it or even better, bought it?
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Default Re: Imperial Glory: Total War in napoleonic times!

I tried the demo, I didnt like it at all. Controls were horrible.
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

There was a few threads a while back discussing this game.

TheSilverKnight has the game and he said he really liked it.

I think you should try the demo and see what you think.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I'm getting the demo off the net right now. And just to gloat and show off about my internet speeds, it's only taking 30 minutes to download it, a 226MB file.

w00t!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

It only took me 15 mins.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Where did you get it?
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Had the game but returned it.

The singleplayer is very good, but the battle is no where near as good as totalwar. And i hear there are multiplayerproblems...

website

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Having just finished a battle on the demo, here is my verdict. Very pretty, lots of potential, but rather shallow. The control scheme is rather annoying, and takes a while to get used, and the enemy doesn't attack. It just sits around in a building, waiting for you. I found that no matter how much i tried pressing the hand-to-hand combat button, my units would refuse to advance, and would carry on using their guns. And cavalry is utterly useless. I got two units of hussars to attack one unit of musketeers. They go into the Musketeers for a few seconds very heavily, but don't inflict any casualties and lose about half of each unit, before running away crying. It's more like trying to re-enact the charge of the light brigade, as most of the survivors got mopped up by the enemy cannons. Grenadiers weren't much better. They stood around, feebly attempting to shoot the enemy. 3 units of grenadiers vs 3 units of musketeers = massacre of the grenadiers. And, all this while, they were shooting the blasted cannon, only for them to get sent flying everywhere by cannon-balls. The battle was only won once i sent in a unit of Black Watch, who were nearly massacred by the 100 surviving musketeers. The only thing in this game that made me laugh was watching my wounded soldiers wriggle about on the floor for while, before deciding to die, along with the rest of their friends.

All in all, a rather dissapointing game.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

That was a VERY easy battle, I'm surprised you had so much trouble with it.
    The game seems to work with a rock-paper-scissors system: cav beats cannons, inf beats cav, cannons beat inf (if all used properly of course).

From the people who have posted about the game, and the reviews I read, the game actually seems pretty good, but on the strategic level, the tactical battles are just a bonus.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

The game seems to work with a rock-paper-scissors system: cav beats cannons, inf beats cav, cannons beat inf (if all used properly of course).
    Shouldn't it be Cannons beat everything, cav beat cannons and inf, and inf are just cannon fodder? That's how i found it worked with me. I mean, think about, you have a bunch of heavily armed horses and their riders charging towards a bunch of people with a few pointy sticks. The horses hit the men, and should kill the entire first row of men, and probably kill a good portion of the second row, and then and only then would they start getting killed because they get bogged down, but in this game, Cav are like the cav in MTW. They hit the front row like jelly hitting concrete. They go splat, but at least in MTW they actually kill people, in this they burst into tears at the thought of combat and run away.

I got the game, but have only played it a little.

When it comes to the strategic map, I was a bit disappointed. 51 provinces the developers said. Yeah, including sea provinces.
    France is divided into 5 provinces (Ile de France, Aquitaine, Provence, Brittany, Champagne), while Asia Minor and Middleeast is one big province. Wasn't surprised when Austria owned every territory from Vienna to Jerusalem.
    There's something called Sympathy as well. If you get 100% Sympathy with a neutral country you can peacefully annex it. However, it must be bugged as Great Britain got Hannover & Portugal peacefully annexed only after some turns of play
    I had problems myself getting increased sympathy. And the countries constantly offer you food in return for gold, even though you have a big stockpile of it. And if you refuse their offer, sympathy goes down.

Trying to command units in tactical battles is a bitch for me, who's used to Total War series.

Will be back with more!
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    Shouldn't it be Cannons beat everything, cav beat cannons and inf, and inf are just cannon fodder? That's how i found it worked with me. I mean, think about, you have a bunch of heavily armed horses and their riders charging towards a bunch of people with a few pointy sticks. The horses hit the men, and should kill the entire first row of men, and probably kill a good portion of the second row, and then and only then would they start getting killed because they get bogged down, but in this game, Cav are like the cav in MTW. They hit the front row like jelly hitting concrete. They go splat, but at least in MTW they actually kill people, in this they burst into tears at the thought of combat and run away.
    Inf can beat horses when they use square formation, or when the horses just charge head on and get a volley fired at them. Cav is fast enough to disable cannons, if they are unprotected, inf gets blown up when advancing on them.

Basically, use your cannons to hit anything in range, stay out of your enemy cannon rang. Use a flank assault to draw away defense from the cannons, charge in the horses to disable the cannons.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader
    I got the game, but have only played it a little.

When it comes to the strategic map, I was a bit disappointed. 51 provinces the developers said. Yeah, including sea provinces.
    France is divided into 5 provinces (Ile de France, Aquitaine, Provence, Brittany, Champagne), while Asia Minor and Middleeast is one big province. Wasn't surprised when Austria owned every territory from Vienna to Jerusalem.
    There's something called Sympathy as well. If you get 100% Sympathy with a neutral country you can peacefully annex it. However, it must be bugged as Great Britain got Hannover & Portugal peacefully annexed only after some turns of play
    I had problems myself getting increased sympathy. And the countries constantly offer you food in return for gold, even though you have a big stockpile of it. And if you refuse their offer, sympathy goes down.

Trying to command units in tactical battles is a bitch for me, who's used to Total War series.

Will be back with more!
    A spot on review! I just started playing it two days ago and am already looking for something else to do. The battles are pathetically small and rarely consist of lines of infantry blazing away at each other. Instead, they inevitably degenerate into a ridiculous melee encounter where both sides are wholesale slaughtered. The manual is utter crap. It never even discusses the campaign play at all. There are so many question that I want answered (without having to play the tutorial!) like when I am forced to choose a new form of government at the end of an era, are there any pros or cons to the different choices? The other thing that annoys me is the how quickly all of the small countries are snapped up. By 1802 Britain, France, Austria, and Russia were the only countries left and I was inexplicably running out of food so I quit. The only part I actually enjoyed was the naval battle scenarios. Trying to fight a 5 on 4 battle in the North Sea when you are simultaneously controlling all 5 of your own warships can be a little dicey!

The sea battles are fun, and can be hectic. But I love it so far, and I mostly play sea skirmishes when I load up Imperial Glory.

Tactical battles are still a bit to get used too. But the melee VS ranged efficiency (if that is the correct word) is...bugged. The rifle volleys Ive seen so far havent dropped that many enemy soldiers, and I got a bit disappointed when an enemy Landwehr unit (most basic unit) charged my Muskeeters unit who with another Grenader unit opened fire on the Landwehr. Only 3-5 landwehr-men died and when it became melee my Muskeeters were slain. The Muskeeters suck in melee I know, but my point is that the Landwehr unit should have had more casualties. The tactical battles simply boil down to melee bouts.

Im still a bit angry at the few provinces...they should have added a bit more, so it would be harder to knock enemy nations out.

And Gelatinous Cube, have you experienced the Sympathy-Peaceful Annexation bug (I choose to call it that)? When I play, I have problems getting sympathy up, while the computer easily peacefully annexes the neutral nations. Austria peacefully annexed the Ottoman Empire? and France got Spain early on. And GB got both Hannover & Portugal in early 1793. Whenever I play I have a hard time in early years to get enough money flowing into my coffers and building trade branches, armies, consulates, sawmills etc.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!