Thread: Cataphracts??

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Question Cataphracts??

I'm a little puzzled.... Who can train cataphracts and where??? I have never seen the cataphracts.... Please help..
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: Cataphracts??

Parthia , Seleucid Empire , cna train the Cataphracts with an elite cav. stable
    ( the 3rd in line of the cav. buildings )

Also the Armenians can train Cataphract archers ( 2nd level stables ) and normal cats ( third level stable )

Also Pontus can build Cappadocian Cav, who are just like cataphracts, don't know much about those though.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

I prefer Cappadocian cavalry to normal Cataphracts, they don't look so stupid

Cataphracts are very much superior to Cappadocians, as Cataphracts have an armour piercing mace as their secondary attack... so they'll easily beat practically any other heavily armoured cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist
    Cataphracts are very much superior to Cappadocians,
    No they're not for me as I think they look stupid.

as Cataphracts have an armour piercing mace as their secondary attack... so they'll easily beat practically any other heavily armoured cavalry.
    Well good for you.

I seem to remember commenting on aesthetic appeal, not statistical comparisons.

Also Parthia can build Cataphract camels.....man they rock against cavalry
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Also camels frighten horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Es Arkajae
    I seem to remember commenting on aesthetic appeal, not statistical comparisons.
    Oh sorry - I don't spend a lot of time considering comparitive aesthetics; maybe, it is something I should do more.... Yes maybe catas don't look that good, but the sight of all the dead Cappadocians afterwards more than makes up for it

And yes Camel Cataphracts are great against cavalry but they're so slow (so you need a combination of both).... but of course they don't match up to the pretty boy Cappadocians aesthetically... So quite obviously Cappadocians are the superior unit here... In everything that counts anyhow

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

in RTR also sarmatia can build cats. they can also build sarmatian nobles. those are a lighter form of cats

We do not sow.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

The Marius reforms make all the eastern factions generals become cataphract generals. They are a force to be feared

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

An interesting (for me, anyway) note on Cataphracts at the Battle of Carrhae.

It seems that Crassus had brought some Gallic cavalry with him to the battle. When these Gauls realized they had no chance in a stand-up fight against the Parthian Cataphracts, the former would dismount and either grab the long lance of the Parthians and swing them to the ground (making them essentially helpless) or get under their horses and gut them.

I'd pay to see that on the game.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

Closest I've seen to that maneuver (gutting the horses) is when I sent my Velites Gladiators against Selucid Scythed chariots. I had paused the battle to check in on some cavalry that was gettin a phalanx up their butt and I looked over at my Gladiators and thought...damn, they're all dead already! But they weren't. When I unpaused they let the chariots pass over and then jumped up on the back to pull the riders off. If you haven't used the Gladiators, send them in against some chariots or elephants, they are fun to watch!

What? Your gladiators jumped on the back the chariot to pull the rider of?!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Your gladiators jumped on the back of chariots? as this happened with any other soldiers? If not, then i have just found a good excuse to use Gladiators...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

never seen gladiators do that before , however It is a lon gtime since I used them in Vanilla RTW

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD