Thread: If Somebody Needed Their Knees Broken.

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Default If Somebody Needed Their Knees Broken.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8014030/

Disgusting. So, what do you think, should the mother of the soldier mentioned in the article be allowed to join the Gold Star Organization?
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Default Re: If Somebody Needed Their Knees Broken.

The people that need their knees broken are the Xenophobes btw.
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Well, although I do beleive she should be let in because her son was killed fighting for America, I also beleive that it is an orginzation's right to accept whomever they choose as long as they are not a government agency. So while I disagree with their descision, I do not think that the government should do anything about it.

BTW I'm also a Xenophobe

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

*breaks Capo's knees with a lead filled baseball bat*

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DemonArchangel
    *breaks Capo's knees with a lead filled baseball bat*
    *thrusts through DA with a sword* I told you, I keep a weapon near me at all times.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Steady Lads. The issue is 'respect': how it is recognized; how it is apportioned among next-of-kin.

Play fights are e-mail/PM subjects.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Seems more than a little harsh, the woman must be destroyed inside by the death of her son, yet she is given no help? Very poor.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I've never understood how the USA will let anyone into their armed services....iirc you have to be a UK subject to join the UK forces.....just doesnt make sense to me to have non-citizens defending your country, a recipe for disaster.

Anyway besides the point. They should, of course, allow her the same status as the others, it is blatently unfair.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    Seems more than a little harsh, the woman must be destroyed inside by the death of her son, yet she is given no help? Very poor.
    I don't think you can expect anything decent to come out of this war or this US administration.

It's quite obvious that Bush doesn't give a rat's ass about american troops, not with all the money coming in from special interests anyways.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

What a horrid bunch of beyotches.

"We can't change the rules every time the wind blows." The horrid beyotch says.

Ok then, how about when someone's kid is killed in the line of duty? Or is that just a blowing wind?

Dumb broads!
    Unto each good man a good dog

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

This isn't the governments fault, it's a private organisation. The government is looking into the matter because they 'support' the organization.

I think she should be given membership, she has lived in the US for 20 years.

But what I don't get, I thought you could apply for citizenship after 7 years, any reason not to do this ?
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

From the Gold Star Mothers' site:
    http://www.goldstarmoms.com/history.htm

Membership:
    Natural Mothers, who are citizens of the United States of America or of the Territorial and Insular Possessions of the United States of America, whose sons and daughters served and died in line of duty in the Armed Forces of the United States of America or its Allies, or died as a result of injuries sustained in such service, are eligible for membership in American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. Adoptive Mothers and Stepmothers who reared the child from the age of five years whose natural mother is deceased, are also eligible under the above conditions

How they are funded:
    American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. a federally-chartered organization, is a member of the National Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service Advisory Committee. The 150 chapters of Gold Star Mothers throughout the United States give many hours of work and personal service in hospitals for the veterans, and to the veteran and his family. The organization works closely with and is respected by all veterans organizations. The American Gold Star Mothers, Inc., a non-profit, patriotic organization, receives funds from dues and donations only.

As distasteful as their decision is, this looks like a private club, getting no tax money. So I guess they can restrict membership as they see fit.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Its horrible... I served with many fine people and many were not citizens. If one of my buddies were to get killed I would expect them and THEIR FAMILIES be alloted the same respect and care that one of a citizen would get. This is heartbreaking, I'm going to write a letter and tell them how I fell in very exact terms. Bitches!!!
    RIP Tosa

The big picture is pretty hilarious. Your son's going to die and you're going to get screwed out of it because you're an immigrant. Sending their own peasants to war isn't enough; they're sending foreign peasants too!

That being said, the issue could be solved by making the woman a US citizen. "Permanent resident and taxpayer" sounds like everyone else to me.

"Permanent resident and taxpayer" sounds like everyone else to me.
    I agree ...it is a disgrace as DD said ...and this shouldnt be a national thing...after all you ask men/women to put themselves in danger...if you do this, then you have to accord them respect....just my HO
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I've never understood how the USA will let anyone into their armed services....iirc you have to be a UK subject to join the UK forces.....just doesnt make sense to me to have non-citizens defending your country, a recipe for disaster.
    Apache ;What about those little mountain men from Nepal ?
    Wasn't there a bit of an outcry when it came out that they were not gettting the same "benefits" as other UK forces when they were killed or injured.

Still , what a bunch of bitches , I think the mothers of the 40,000+ non citizens serving with US forces plus all the mothers who are not citizens but their children are should turn up at the next meeting and beat the crap out of these 1200 heartless cows .
    Oh yeah add on the Stepmothers and adoptive mothers aswell

I don't think you can expect anything decent to come out of this war or this US administration.

It's quite obvious that Bush doesn't give a rat's ass about american troops, not with all the money coming in from special interests anyways.
    And the Bush bashers turn yet another subject that has nothing to do with him into an attack. I bet when BP stubs his toe its Bush's fault.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Catholic Priest Mothers.

Does that mean the Catholic Priest is a mother or the mother of a Catholic Priest?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    And the Bush bashers turn yet another subject that has nothing to do with him into an attack. I bet when BP stubs his toe its Bush's fault.

When I saw this topic (with the inflammatory title :glares at DA:) , then read the article, I was relieved, thinking: "OK, the worst that can happen is we bash old ladies; not our demographic, so: few worries...". Seems I misunderestimated our membership.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Natural Mothers, who are citizens of the United States of America or of the Territorial and Insular Possessions of the United States of America,
    Now, I don't know what the heck that means, but isn't the Phillipines part of that? Or something along those lines...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Now, I don't know what the heck that means, but isn't the Phillipines part of that? Or something along those lines...
    America Samoa is a Territoral Possesion...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Sending their own peasants to war isn't enough; they're sending foreign peasants too!
    I don't know where your from, but I find the term peasant to be derogatory. It should also be noted that his mother has been a resident of the US for over 20 years, and it's likely SSgt. Lagman has been as well. The article never stated that he wasn't a US citizen only that his mother was not.

I also suspect that SSgt. Lagman served at least 4 years in the Marine Corps before joining the Army, and being a SNCO has probably served another 4 years in the Army, this is assuming he enlisted when he was 18 or 19.

Hardly seems like a peasant to me.

@Kraxis, the Philippines is a former American colonial possesion and is now an independent nation.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Guys, read the article again. Staff Sergeant Lagman WAS a citizen, his mother was not. She was a permanent resident of the US here for 20 years. There's plenty of reasons why she would make that decision, and it's not for us to question them or demand she defend them.

Simple facts:

1) Staff Sergeant Lagman was a US citizen, and a marine who died in the line of duty.

2) The guy who talked Mrs. Lagman into applying admitted he was doing so to try to get the Gold Star Mothers to change their membership rules.

3) 2 Former presidents of the organization said they should change the membership rules. The current president said "piss up a rope, we can be as bigoted as we want".

4) Gold Star Mothers is a private organization that receives no government funding.

Conclusion: Gold Star Mothers is well within their rights to maintain a racist and xenophobic membership policy. And, by association, I am free to call any/all members of said organization a disgusting, heartless bigot, which, given the chance, I would. When you associate, you assume the qualities of the association. Shame on any woman in the group that doesn't see how unjust their leadership is behaving and demanding change/threatening to leave. Their sons & daughters died to stamp out that kind of mindless bigotry and they shame their memories by practicing it in their names.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

If he was willing to fight for the cause he should be honoured for doing so. What a slap in the face :(

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Shame on any woman in the group that doesn't see how unjust their leadership is behaving and demanding change/threatening to leave. Their sons & daughters died to stamp out that kind of mindless bigotry and they shame their memories by practicing it in their names.
    That was a darn good post Don C.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence