Thread: joms vikings?

Default joms vikings?

ok the joms vikings in viking invasion,was there ever such a thing as a jom viking?and if so were they as bad @$$ as the game portrays?
    VAE VICTUS-PaNtOcRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi says
    Honour is that which preserves the dignity of the human spirit.
    It’s how you treat people, that makes you an honourable person.
    Not how many battles you win.
    The glory of your victories will soon be forgotten.
    But the kindness and respect you show for others, will not.
    So is there really any honour in Total War games?
    No.
    But there is in some of it’s players…

Default Re: joms vikings?

Quote Originally Posted by VAE VICTUS
    ok the joms vikings in viking invasion,was there ever such a thing as a jom viking?and if so were they as bad @$$ as the game portrays?
    Well it seems they did exist but I do not know alot about them.

"Jomsborg was a legendary Viking settlement in Pomerania by the Baltic Sea. It's generally disputed whether such a settlement existed at all, all proof coming from later times and from distant Iceland. Contemporary sources mention a city known as Julin, Jumne or Wolin, which supposedly was a home of Slavic pirates, but where Danes and other Scandinavians could also easily find refuge."
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Yes there were jomsvikings

They were located in Jomsborg in Norway(not Pomerania, that's what I found). In Jomsborg, there were only men. Women were not allowed. Those who dared to come close were slaughtered immediately. They were trained in very harsh conditions. Very often in battles they would go berserk.

They were very powerful soldiers!!!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Recently it seems people try to make everything that has anything to do with vikings to originate from Norway

The jomsvikings are by most considered myth not fact. Jomsborg has as earlier stated in this thread never been found. But all material I have read on the matter suggest that it is Pommerania or possibly Polish baltic cost that is the possible location of the borg (borg = fortress or castle) not Norway, I never saw anyone before this claim that it was located in Norway.

If one is to believe that Jomsborg and the Jomsvikings existed well then one can also believe they really were badasses as the same sources that claim they existed also portray them as feared and skilled fighters.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Yes there were jomsvikings

They were located in Jomsborg in Norway(not Pomerania, that's what I found). In Jomsborg, there were only men. Women were not allowed. Those who dared to come close were slaughtered immediately. They were trained in very harsh conditions. Very often in battles they would go berserk.

They were very powerful soldiers!!!
    Hehe, you read that ahistorical thingy in Viking Invasion?

Jomsborg was indeed located in Wendland(or Pomerania), and the existence of jomsvikings is very doubtful as well. It was however recorded that they were recruited by the king of Denmark Olaf.

If I don't mess anything joms were an elite of vikings.
    As far as I remember it was some kind of title which was earned by some heroic deeds.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Hmm, didn't they help Olaf Tryggvasson in his saga?

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

One Knight Stand Member Spartakus's Avatar

In fact, the Jomsvikings have their own saga, the "Saga of the Jomsvikings", quite simply. Why not read it and make up your own mind?

In my opinion they are too intertwined with the history of the times, and written of by too many chroniclers, to not have existed at all. The real problem is how correct the information we have is.

Excerpt from the Saga of King Olaf Tryggvason:

"King Svein sent word to the Jomsborg vikings that Earl Sigvalde and Bue, and their brothers, should come to him, and drink the funeral-ale for their
    fathers in the same feast the king was giving. The Jomsborg vikings came to the festival with their bravest men, forty ships of them from Vindland, and twenty ships from Skane. Great was the multitude of people assembled."

The whole saga, along with many others, can be found here: Online classical and medieval library
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus
    In fact, the Jomsvikings have their own saga, the "Saga of the Jomsvikings", quite simply. Why not read it and make up your own mind?

In my opinion they are too intertwined with the history of the times, and written of by too many chroniclers, to not have existed at all. The real problem is how correct the information we have is.

Excerpt from the Saga of King Olaf Tryggvason:

"King Svein sent word to the Jomsborg vikings that Earl Sigvalde and Bue, and their brothers, should come to him, and drink the funeral-ale for their
    fathers in the same feast the king was giving. The Jomsborg vikings came to the festival with their bravest men, forty ships of them from Vindland, and twenty ships from Skane. Great was the multitude of people assembled."

The whole saga, along with many others, can be found here: Online classical and medieval library
    Vindland seems close to Wendland which is what the region of Pomerania was called at the time though Skane is southern Sweden isn't it? Those are two seperate regions so when they speak of Jomsborg vikings they do not seem to be speaking of them as a regional group at all.

Here is the Heimskringla Saga where the Jomsborg vikings are mentioned though the site you posted is better this might be easier.

http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...me5/chap1.html
    Last edited by sharrukin; 05-29-2005 at 17:37.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

One Knight Stand Member Spartakus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharrukin
    Vindland seems close to Wendland which is what the region of Pomerania was called at the time though Skane is southern Sweden isn't it? Those are two seperate regions so when they speak of Jomsborg vikings they do not seem to be speaking of them as a regional group at all
    Indeed, I just checked my Norwegian edition, and it says Wendland, not Vindland. Skane is southern Sweden, yes, but at that time the area was held by the Danes.

The Jomsvikings sailed about a lot (of course), my guess is that those who came from Skane were just staying there at the moment. Or maybe they had a hold there too? I can only speculate, the Jomsvikings are not my field of expertise, I'm afraid.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.