Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat (Mount and Blade)

Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.

Default Re: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat

These two I have entitled, "Mess with the best, die like the rest."

Thats with my new ranger character with his Khergit Bow. Every single pirate died from my bow. All 30 of them.

And now a before and after shot.

Before.

After.

And I have strange suspicions that my first character has Robin Hood Complex.

Wow this game is great! I've been playing it since last friday and have reached level 6 for the fifth time.
    I love mounted combat, especially with a great lance. About 10 minutes ago I actually managed to kill 3 men in a row here's the proof: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...72/GCS0786.jpg
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

The not so Almighty Member Pausanias828's Avatar

I originally downloaded the demo about 2 and a weeks ago, and bought it on the bank holiday Monday, and it was a great way to spend about £8, especially when you consider this is basically a husband and wife team making this game.

I had a hell of a lot of trouble fighting on horseback to start off with, not that I am great now, but I am certainly better, although I tend to use only a Balanced Longsword, and a Steel Shield, even though I do have a lance in my Inventory. I think with my next level points I will improve my horsemanship even though my Swaybacked Hunter is a lovely creature, and is the best I have had so far. In my current game I have decided not to officially ally with either side, even though my party is made up mainly of Vaegir units.

I don't tend to play games like this, most of the time I tend to play just RTS/TBS games, but I am so glad I tried it out.

On the matter of CTD's I seem to just get a random one every now and again, but they don't seem to be related to any particular event, area command etc. And as it's only a Beta, you have to accept there are going to be some problems, as one of the main points of Beta is to make sure the final release is as stable as possible. I can't wait for the next update.
    Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all
    Ypatia (350-370? – 415) AD
    Free beer, ok I lied, just a new Forum

Quote Originally Posted by zelda12
    Don't give up, its really a very stable game considering its only just half completed and still in Beta.
    It took nearly 2 hours to get my PC working again, and I very nearly lost plenty of work on my assorted bits of writing, plus a set of significant additions to my extremely time consuming to put together collection of assorted easy reference historical notes on just about every subject a writer might need. I back up to CD regularly, but saving each file to floppy as well as to hard drive each time I edit anything is the only way my backups could stay up to date. But the files are all too large to fit on floppy - 100MB total! Even my manuscript for Eleanor is too big to fit on a floppy now. So I really can't afford to take chances; even one line of text lost is going to be very tough to replace. I'd have to work from memory and try to piece together and approximation, and that's assuming I could even remember what was lost.

Looking at the M&B forum a few others have reported the same error (if anyone's interested this is the topic.) I experienced, but none of them had anything worse than an unexpected reboot. Also, at least two people found the error came when issuing mount/dismount orders. I hadn't done that; I've issued those commands frequently without problems. It's supposed to be fixed in the next version. I would hope so, but I'm not sure I want to risk trying and seeing. I like the game, and it's very stable, especially for a beta, but when it goes it does more damage than anything I've seen since the old days of windows 98.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I have annoying issues with the game when I quit. After quiting, all attempts to access other parts of my computer yield an error message that refuses to go away. I am forced to reboot. Quite annoying, and I don't play the game anymore.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Sorry to hear that people are having problems with the game. :( It's been flawless for me thus far, but now that I said that it will probably crash. :)

I just lost my entire army of 10 Swadian Knights, 5 Men at arms, and 5 Swadian Sharpshooters because of one little tactical mistake! Wow, I love this game :D

I'm up to lvl 14 now. I think sharpshooters are my favorite guys to have around right now. They can make some insane shots that put a big grin on your face. I usually follow them around and try to keep horsemen off them while they clean up everything in sight. I'm trying to find a better sword but it seems rare to find them in shops or even as loot so far. What do you guys think is the best overall one-hander?

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Just tonight I have seen possibly the strangest and funniest arrows sticking out.

First I had a Sharpshooter with an arrow right in his hindquarters. That looked absolutely hilarious when he ran about.
    Another one had an arrow right though his knee from the side, thus it looked like his legs were connected.

Finally I saw an enemy with that famous arrow though the side of the head, you know like those things you put on. And he was even alive!!!!

Finally I took my chances with my big thick steel shield and stood out in front of a steppe bandit army and just let them have a go at me with ranged weapons... Boy did that shield look like something that was alive and growing. But then again it was brought down to 64 points out of 867.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    I have annoying issues with the game when I quit. After quiting, all attempts to access other parts of my computer yield an error message that refuses to go away. I am forced to reboot. Quite annoying, and I don't play the game anymore.
    Yes, I have a similar problem, the game seems to cause every other program to quit with an "illegal operation" error message.

However, the game itself runs just about flawlessly.

If you're having problems, I would suggest shutting down all the other programs that are currently running (except of course the essential ones). After I shut down my antivirus program and zonealarm it seemed to work much better - but yes I still get the error messages from multiple other programs while or after running the game.
    It doesn't bother me though, I just do a reboot after running the game, no problem.

BTW I'm running 98SE. What are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    The horses in the arena are horrible... they can't turn at all!
    I've found that the best way to get a slow horse to turn quicker is to pull it up first and then turn it. They can't gallop and turn very well at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by screwtype
    Yes, I have a similar problem, the game seems to cause every other program to quit with an "illegal operation" error message.

However, the game itself runs just about flawlessly.

If you're having problems, I would suggest shutting down all the other programs that are currently running (except of course the essential ones). After I shut down my antivirus program and zonealarm it seemed to work much better - but yes I still get the error messages from multiple other programs while or after running the game.
    It doesn't bother me though, I just do a reboot after running the game, no problem.

BTW I'm running 98SE. What are you using?
    Sounds like my problem. I'm running ME.

Yep the game is a rare gem and i had bought the license. Btw, i am using XP and i do not have any problems running the game. No ctd or likewise issue
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Quote Originally Posted by Thoros of Myr
    The first Swadian quest I recieved was to buy 6 great helms or something. That's about 70K! Needless to say I haven't been able to finish it yet. I'm only lvl 12 though.
    True, but the reward for those types of quests is double what you spent to buy the items. So if you do pass it, you'll get 140k!

This game is amazing. I'm currently running around with 14 Swandian Knights. Nothing can stop me! I steam roll through anything and the money just keeps on piling in! Right now I'm trying to raise in rank by doing some quests for the Swads. I'm thinking of taking on a Veigar war party (54+ men) soon!
    Last edited by Sethik; 06-05-2005 at 17:56.
    Nothing close to pity moved inside me. I was sliding over some edge within myself. I was going to rip open his skin with my bare hands, claw past his ribs and tear out his liver and then I was going to eat it, gorging myself on his blood.

-- Johnny Truant, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lechev
    Yep the game is a rare gem and i had bought the license. Btw, i am using XP and i do not have any problems running the game. No ctd or likewise issue
    i second this.. using xp (specs are athlon 2500+, 1 gig ram, radeon 9800pro) the game is entirely stable, so far. hasn't crashed once.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Just bought it. Really good.

I can get the lance to crouch in the arena, but out in the real world it won't. Is this because my horse is too rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    Just bought it. Really good.

I can get the lance to crouch in the arena, but out in the real world it won't. Is this because my horse is too rubbish?
    Most likely... If it can't gallop or at least run at speed 8 it is too slow. Also inclines will slow you down, so trying to charge that man standing on a small hill is perhaps not the greatest idea concieved.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

Re: Stability, I'm running it on XP and had one CTD in about a weeks worth of play.

Happened when I ordered my men to mount up, which I believe is a bug they plan to correct in the next update.

Although thinking about it my computer didn't just CTD, it restarted itself too and then said it had just recovered from a major error....

Scary Stuff

Still a brilliant game though

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

This is freakin' awesome. I've reached level six, and I'm going to buy it.

Damn my finding out about this in an exam week!

Question-is there any difference between the various factions' troops? For example, are Swadian militia (second level troop) better than watchmen (also second level troop) or are the watchmen better, or are they the same?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Question-is there any difference between the various factions' troops? For example, are Swadian militia (second level troop) better than watchmen (also second level troop) or are the watchmen better, or are they the same?
    Watchmen are "neutral", I think. Personally, I prefer the Swadians - their crossbows seems very lethal whereas I have not noticed similar firepower in the Vaegars (sp?). Whenever I fight Swadian deserters, I tend to lose my knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Whenever I fight Swadian deserters, I tend to lose my knights.
    Which is why I try not to engage them.

I do believe that the Swadian troops are better in general. They look like they have better equipment than their Vaegir counterparts, especially the knights.
    Watchmen are not great, but they can become the best 3rd tier unit I can think of. The Caravan Guard. They are quite heavy and strong, yet only one advance up. But their other upgrades aren't as spectacular, so I think they end up just a little lower than the Swadian Knights. But Hired Blades are damn nice still.

BKS, since when were you made moderator? Damn, I have been here entirely too long and have been entirely out of touch in all the other forums except the Arena.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    BKS, since when were you made moderator? Damn, I have been here entirely too long and have been entirely out of touch in all the other forums except the Arena.
    A couple of months ago. I'm prepared to grant a Kikkoman amnesty!
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethik
    True, but the reward for those types of quests is double what you spent to buy the items. So if you do pass it, you'll get 140k!
    In that case I will try to finish the mission I was worried about spending that kind of money and getting a measly reward.

And who else is playing on max (107%) difficulty?
    Last edited by Thoros of Myr; 06-06-2005 at 00:51.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not I. How do you get it up that high? Even with normal damage it isn't that high for me.

It seems some are having problems-in some cases very severe. So far I haven't had any, and I am using XP. Perhaps it is OS related?

One time I got a mission, as a level 10 fighter(or higher) to get 4 cleavers. Those things only cost about 50 denars! The only hard part was finding four.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    I do believe that the Swadian troops are better in general. They look like they have better equipment than their Vaegir counterparts, especially the knights.
    Vaegir Skirmishers are pretty good units, but I'm not sure if the other "3rd level" counterpart is superior.

Vagier Knights man not have as good of armor as their Swadian counterparts, but they all wield two handed axes. This things can cause major damage when used right.
    Nothing close to pity moved inside me. I was sliding over some edge within myself. I was going to rip open his skin with my bare hands, claw past his ribs and tear out his liver and then I was going to eat it, gorging myself on his blood.

-- Johnny Truant, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

Since the question of OSes and performance has come up, I'm using XP. Also P4 2.4, radeon 9800 pro, 1024MB DDR RAM, SB live! 5.1. Performance was great aside from that devastating crash. I was getting FPS in the 150's most of the time, and not a single hitch.

Gah! The more I read this thread the more I want to download another copy and reinstall. Some days I hate this job
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 06-06-2005 at 09:42. Reason: spelling ...
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Not I. How do you get it up that high? Even with normal damage it isn't that high for me.
    Do you also have combat AI on good? The only other thing is I selected the realistic save mode whereby you must save the game whenever you quit.

Blog Entries

Hmm, it must be the unrealistic save mode that does it for me. Oh well, call me wimpy.

I'm using a P4 1.3, Geforce 2 MX, and 300~Mb ram. It works well enough on the camp map, but the fps can drop to 10-15 in the middle of large battles.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    A couple of months ago. I'm prepared to grant a Kikkoman amnesty!
    Exxxcelent. Just give me a date and a time to strike...

Blog Entries

Man, I love javelins. A fun thing to do is riding up to swadian x-bow men and nailing them in the head, like this:

Here you can see where I got 2 headshots in a row.

However, the best has to be nailing an oncoming knight in the head, taking him out before he gets to swing his weapon once!

Plus, throwing weapons like javs and axes are great foot weapons, though they have small missile capacity.

Man, I love this game.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast