Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat (Mount and Blade)

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Default Re: Mount & Blade

Hate to spoil the party, even though its a cool game, there is a mega thread about this in the area section.

Cheers
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

That issue has been mentioned in every post other than the initial one. I posted this here because a lot of people may only check certain forums, and the ones who frequent this particular one are a good target audience for the game . I assumed there would be no harm done as it's not spam and it's fun for the whole family!

-edit-

But if it really bothers everyone so much... ?
    Last edited by Dooz; 12-12-2005 at 13:59.

Moved to other-game-than-mtw-dojo. ;).

Up to Frog to close/merge/whatever.
    Abandon all hope.

Default Re: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat (Mount and Blade)

:froggy draws a hairpin, aims carefully, and throws. The pin flies with accuracy to hit the new M&B thread right in the middle, the force carrying the thread backwards until it hits the old thread. The pin impales the old thread too, fastening them together.:

Last edited by frogbeastegg; 12-12-2005 at 21:50.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Evil... evil I say! Leave at least some semblence of the thread in the MTW forums. Let the people know!

Default Re: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    In battle archers are immesively stronger, they fire very fast now, and they have become very accurate, and the FF and getting in the way of each other is much lower.
    Tell me about it. I ran into my first group of rogue Xbow since I upgraded, made mince meat of my lovely all cav army. I had to dismount and trek up the hill and got to the last six when my shield broke and got pincusshioned myself.

Unhappy Re: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat

edit: that's gotta be some kind of record, double posted an hour after! Teach me to have too many windowns open.
    Last edited by lugh; 12-13-2005 at 12:16.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lugh
    Tell me about it. I ran into my first group of rogue Xbow since I upgraded, made mince meat of my lovely all cav army. I had to dismount and trek up the hill and got to the last six when my shield broke and got pincusshioned myself.
    And now you know why I keep clear of Swadian Deserters... They are next to the Sea Raiders the most evil enemies out there. I mean from a cost/benefit analysis... Dark Knights are more dangerous than the Swad Deserters, but the loot and experience is so damn good.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

I avoid enemy archers at all costs, I tend to gallivant around on foot in front of my troops, and as I don't use a shield, tend to look rather like a hedgehog when up against archers.

Current tactic - dismount enemy cavalry with doublehanded sword, then shoot full of arrows 'til dead. That and occasionally charge around with a jousting lance for variety and slaves.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Roasted To Perfection Member Microwavegerbil's Avatar

After getting a sizable army of knights my last game things got pretty easy. Trading is THE way to make cash quick. I just loaded up and got a heavy courser (IMO the best mount besides spirited hunter just because of your massive speed) and a great lance. Sometimes your knights will get bogged down and that cause some heavy casualties, but charge in to knock down the guys stopping them and things should clear up.

On my latest game I've found that being an entirely unmounted group can be FUN. I've managed to get a group of 5 vaegir marksmen and 4 vaegir swordsmen togethor and along with Marnid and Borcha we are tearing the countryside apart. Dark knights get jammed up on our close grouping and get killed easily. Archers and horse archers are cake as well, I'll run out in front with my steel shield with my archers and swordsmen right behind me. Definitely recommend a non-mounted play for everyone, it's a fun challenge and different way to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Microwavegerbil
    Dark knights get jammed up on our close grouping and get killed easily.
    That's how I've started dealing with them. I use a mainly cavalry force, Knights and horsemen so if I'm up against dark Knights I'll find a steep hill, dismount everyone and go after the Hunters. The DK get bogged down on the hill before they realise they need to dismount get slaughtered while I pick off the hunters with a great lance.

Then, I got caught on a plain, my men were slaughtered and eventually my horse was lamed and I got killed. Back to the drawing board, I need a way to deal with large cavalry armies on the plains.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lugh
    I need a way to deal with large cavalry armies on the plains.
    Larger cavalry armies.

Not an entirely silly idea - if you get a high level of tactics within your party, you can have battlefield numerical superiority every time... Even against a much larger force.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Quote Originally Posted by the tokai
    Gah, I still very much want to buy this game but I don't have the means to do it. Anyone with a credit card out there willing to help me?
    No one wants to help me?
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

look on the Taleworlds.com forums one of the mods there has helped a number of people without credits cards purchase the game (by check iirc)
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

Roasted To Perfection Member Microwavegerbil's Avatar

On the plains I've been using the same basic strategy I use on hilly terrain with my all footmen group, I just take more casualties. Using a balanced Bardiche as my main weapon I'm currently dropping horses in one swing against their charge. With my superior reach, I can easily stay out of reach of swords and axes, while against the longer couched lances I stick to the left of the charging knights. Generally my plains battles against knights goes like this: initial charge results in at least one horse cut down by me, any horses getting stuck and rearing up near my troops are slain. After this it can be a bit more dangerous as the knights circle around they start coming from all directions. Generally, as long as I can keep at least one other footman alive to at least distract them I'm okay.

I have't seen this on either the offical game forum or here so I'm going to ask/start a discussion.

When you look at available weapons in the game there are different stats and for the most part easy to understand. But is there anyway to figure out how they compare damage wise? I know the crossbows say what I asume is max damage but melee weapons don't say anything. If there is a way to estimate the damage then you can decide where you would rather trade off at, reach, speed, damage, cost.
    "IF YOUR ATTACK IS GOING TOO WELL, YOU'RE WALKING INTO AN AMBUSH."

"IF THE ENEMY IS IN RANGE, SO ARE YOU."

Reach and speed are very important... I prefer speed over reach, but others prefer reach. Now that doesn't mean that you shold go for the biggest baddest sword out there, try out the weapons. Btw blunt and piercing negates half the armour of the target.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just a little update on some newly released mods.

Over at the TaleWorlds forums, some great mods have been released.

The first (I've tried) is the new arena mod, which adds a whole bunch of variety to arena fights. You can do jousting, 8v8, 1v1, 4v4, 6v6 in a 'fortified' arena, and-in the greatest breakthrough, to me, 2v2v2v2 and 6v6v6v6. That's right, 4 teams, all fighting one another! And it works great!

The other one is the new version of the renasiance (sp) mod, which adds a buttload of sweet new late medieval era weapons-halberds, flamberges, landsketch (sp) swords, rapiers, etc.

The newest version of the LOTR mod has just been released too, along with a small mod adding a mauser.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

Armagan the Benevolent has just released some new screens of an upcoming version of M&B!

And let me tell you, they are amazing!
    New vegetation...

Even more awesome than that are the shots of several different cities...

And, a new running animation, or perhaps even a difference between running and jogging?

But the very best of all, in my opinion, is the culmination of medieval combat, the great goal towards which we have yearned for so very long...
    SIEGES.

Aww yeah, baby!!

Many more at http://www.taleworlds.net/mb_ss.html. I suggest you check 'em all out. The bottom 3 seem to be rather old, but every other one is from the next version!

There's also some cool mods in the mod section, ones that add 66 new, different, modeled weapons, others that add farms that you can buy, a conquistador mod, with beta released.

Right now it's only $14. It'll go up after the new version comes out. This is an awesome game, and I urge you to try it out, and buy it if it strikes your fancy.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Ho ho holy cow.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

long time since I've played this...but seeing those screens urges me to play once more !

Those screens look good but the promise of siege battles is just awesome...

And those maces - are they ? - look very very good, not to mention deadly.

Thanks for the pics and information CR, very good, very good indeed.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 02-11-2006 at 01:28.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Argh... Or rather unargh! Now with this update there will be yet another round of absolutely sleepless nights, and I'm looking forward to it.

Armagan has gone nuts! Wow. Siege wasn't even part of the original idea IIRC. This is probably mission-based

Impressive development, thx Crazed.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Thanks for bumping this- I had wanted to check out the demo awhile ago but forgot about it. Great stuff, I hit the lvl.6 limit in one sitting.

I guess I'll have to cough up the 14 bucks.

Last edited by Xiahou; 02-11-2006 at 08:37.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Uh-oh.... another awesome game to occupy my time. My poor girlfriend isn't going to like this at all. I'll find time for her...errr...ummm M&B

Blog Entries

Glad you guys appreciate the update.

Now, a word from Armagan the Benevolent:
    Hello Folks!

We uploaded the new screenshots last night, right just before we called it a day and left the office. It was great fun to come here today and read through the excitement they have stirred up and all those kind remarks you made Smile. I hope the new version will live up to your expectations...

Just to clear a few small things: the screenshot for the character window is left over from the old versions (the game used to have an endurance riding skill ages ago) There are no siege defense missions yet (and no siege weapons either). and I am afraid there is no new running animation. But there are plenty of new stuff as you have guessed. Most of the new graphics are being done by our new graphic artists Ozgur and Hilmi, who are working with great enthusiasm and doing a marvellous job.

The new version still needs a bit of more work to tie together all the loose ends and make sure everyhting works the way they are supposed to. So I hope we'll be able to release it really soon, hopefully in one or two days (:crosses fingers:)
    So spake the great Armagan, this Saturday.

And Xiahou, 150 fps?!?! You lucky dog, you!

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

oh... well it will be cool anyway.

Default Sv: Re: Sweet Realistic Medieval Combat (Mount and Blade)

This game is sweet, bought my full version a couple of months ago and still play it.
    I'm using the hundred year war mod and it is sweet.
    And if sieges are gonna be in then it is gonna be even sweeter.

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Thanks .
    I was wondering why I couldn't get through to the forums on the site .
    Thought that might be the reason .
    Thanks for the link ,downloading now .
    That's it.

Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast