Thread: CIty populations caps for barbarians hard coded?

Default CIty populations caps for barbarians hard coded?

There appears to be a population cap of 10240 per city for barbarian factions, limiting there usefulness in overwriting them to make new factions. I can't find the caps anywhere. They also seem to build squalor much faster than other factions. Anyone know how to change this stuff? You cannot, for example, make the core advanced buildings accessible to a barbarian faction and be able to build them since your city size will never advance to 12k or 24k.

Default Re: CIty populations caps for barbarians hard coded?

Ok I was wrong there is no cap at 10240 but there seems to be only 2 growth triggers for barbarian citys: town to large town, large town to minor city. I cannot get minor city to large city or large city to huge city to trigger an event.

In vanilla rome, barbarians cannot build large or huge cities, correct.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Yes, but if you want to mod them to become another faction you may want to allow that faction to have larger cities.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

If you do give barbarian factions the ability to build large and huge cities (in export_descr_buildings.txt), you also need to edit descr_sm_settlements.txt and define what models are used for the large and huge barbarian culture cities.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Just out of interest, does anyone know the population caps,and whether they are hard/soft coded?

Quote Originally Posted by Encaitar
    If you do give barbarian factions the ability to build large and huge cities (in export_descr_buildings.txt), you also need to edit descr_sm_settlements.txt and define what models are used for the large and huge barbarian culture cities.
    I don't think giving a faction the ability to build all the core buildings allows them to exceed minor city level; I would love to know how to.

im pretty sure that there is no pop cap/limit for babarians as current there is only 2 reasons y they cannot build past the minor city lv.
    1. they cannot build that lv core buildings, this is simple to fix, just go into descr_buildings(i think) and change it so that barbarians(might have to do for individual factions might be cultural)
    2. there is no modles for higher than minor city, so theoretically it should just be a matter of creating the modles and getting them in game
    NOTE i do not know if this is correct or not i assume it is but i could be wrong if someone has gotten this working in game please post, if u have tried and failed let us know too so we can work it out.

btw
    They also seem to build squalor much faster than other factions
    this is not true. i dont know about ur experiences with babarians but in my games they r the best at dealing with squalor, they dont seem to suffer as much from it and also since their cities cant(currently) go past minor city, the cant get huge lvs of squalor in the cities. its such a pain to have ur huge cities with like 130% squalor penalty(before the patch, i think it was capped at 100 wasnt it?) and a distance from capital penalty of like 100% lol.
    cheers knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy
    im pretty sure that there is no pop cap/limit for babarians as current there is only 2 reasons y they cannot build past the minor city lv.
    1. they cannot build that lv core buildings, this is simple to fix, just go into descr_buildings(i think) and change it so that barbarians(might have to do for individual factions might be cultural)
    2. there is no modles for higher than minor city, so theoretically it should just be a matter of creating the modles and getting them in game
    NOTE i do not know if this is correct or not i assume it is but i could be wrong if someone has gotten this working in game please post, if u have tried and failed let us know too so we can work it out.

btw this is not true. i dont know about ur experiences with babarians but in my games they r the best at dealing with squalor, they dont seem to suffer as much from it and also since their cities cant(currently) go past minor city, the cant get huge lvs of squalor in the cities. its such a pain to have ur huge cities with like 130% squalor penalty(before the patch, i think it was capped at 100 wasnt it?) and a distance from capital penalty of like 100% lol.
    cheers knoddy
    They don't build squalor faster, I was testing population effects with cheat codes ,20k barbarians in a minor city do build huge amounts of squalor, but if you set the starting city size to huge in descr_strat.txt they have normal squalor. Problem is even with the ability to build the third and fourth stage core buildings they don't trigger the upgrade_city_large_city event when reaching 12k, and remain at the minor city stage; thus the core buildings do not apear in the build option menu. You can start the campain with huge citys and imperial palaces already built, I used the roman city images for those stages in testing, but it is a huge advantage in that they can build anything, populations grow quickly, and civil content is high.