Data/descr_quotes_lookup.txt:

Quote_1
    Author_1

Data/descr_transition_screen.txt:

quotes
    quote "Quote_1"
    quoted "Author_1"
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Re: Strange CTD problem

Ok, now I'm really confused... I replaced the edited files with the originals I had made a backup of, a started to verify that everything was good again. No crash. Then I tried to edit the files again. This time, the only thing I did was to change ONE LETTER in the first quote: "I think the slain care little..." etc. to "J think the slain care little...", and then I started the game. Crash at the first loading screen which appears after the activision and trailer movie. I tested restarting the computer and restarting R:TW again, but got the same result every time. What is going on? Can't I edit a file at all without causing a crash? Is there some hardcoded checksum that can't be edited? Or does the game check the last-edited-date or something? I see no reason why it should crash just because I changed one letter in one of the quotes!

I desperately need help! Just for testing I modded names to add a name to one of the factions, but also then I got errors of this type (but crash came when I tried to start an imperial campaign and end a turn) even though I exactly followed a tutorial/guide that I found here at the .org...

Does that stuff "this file gone for localisation" and a date affect things in any way? But it's just a line of comments so it seems unlikely... I've tried to follow all restrictions with correct number spaces before and after stuff etc. etc.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 05-31-2005 at 17:14.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

No, the gone for localisation is just an internal CA thing to tell them that it they want to add anything more to that file they have to tell somebody.

I don't understand why you're having trouble. I've completely replaced my quotes with stuff I have to learn. The only thing I needed to change was text\quotes - is show_err giving you anything?
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

No, show_err isn't giving me any message. I'm not sure if it's correct but I edited the path of the shortcut to:
    "C:\Rome - Total War2\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Is that correct?

The message I get when the game crashes is the standard windows message with illegal operation etc. It says that "Dhelp has caused and error in ". Isn't unknown and Dhelp DirectX-related stuff? But why on earth would a change of one letter in a txt file read by the game cause an error with DirectX?

Some other things regarding my configuration:
    - I have two Rome folders, one with the original game and one with the modded version. Could there be any conflicts?
    Under construction...

It shouldn't do. You could try taking the hyphen out in front of the show_err, that's sometimes worked for me.

If you want to test if it's working then make a deliberate mistake in one of the commonly modded files - say removing the sparta hidden resource from the top line in export_descr_buildings - and see if it returns an error message.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Nope, still doesn't work.
    Under construction...