Thread: Chivalry TW - a MP mod

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

Default Chivalry TW - a MP mod

In case some of you are not aware of it: "Chivalry Total War" is an RTW mod inspired by Medieval TW. More importantly (and thats why I post this here) it's especially written for multiplayer, unlike all other mods (not including the "Samurai" mod for MTW). That means that MP imbalances will be investigated andd addressed faster then any TW game ever did :)

Although I've given up on RTW vanilla (the unit balances just feel too wrong for me to be enjoyable) I respect every initiative to keep the TW MP community alife and go back to the days of MTW/VI. The majority of you will probably not know me and probably consider me as a "noob" based on my join date. I did however start playing MTW MP at the end of 2003 and became fairly skilled in VI in early 2004. Multiplayer gaming was nothing new to me as I had spent over 3 years playing the Age of Empires games only (yep, that "clickfest" game ;)).
    The reason for this personal introduction is that I hope ChivTW will not be underestimated "because I'm just a newcomer". I intensively played all TW games and I too long for the gameplay and community of the past (before the rude noobs and RTW imbalances destroyed a great deal of that). ChivTW's current balance wouldn't be half as good without the help of [VDM]Buukenshin (that name should be more known among you), so my thanks go to him for that (even tho we have our disagreements). And obviously there is the rest of the dev team who are doing an excellent job, but they have few influence on the MP gameplay, units stats etc.

To get to my point, I really respect the CoH efford, and want the "Coders" to know I'm doing my part in improving the future of the TW MP community. And hope that you give this mod a fair try - you might even like it :)

Some more info about the mod:
    This mod is NOT a copy of MTW. The units and especially gameplay are inspired by it, but the mod tries to be more historically correct and realistic then MTW was. Not to mension that the RTW engine allows for whole new gameplay elements.
    We've released an "Early Era MP beta" a while ago, featuring (almost) all early era factions and units for custom/MP battles.
    We've recently started a small ladder for the small fanbase that we currently have. It's much more for fun then real competition tho. You can find it here. This page is part of a MP community site for the mod that I'm currently working on. The MP battle replays page is also online. If you want to get an impression of the mod's gameplay I suggest you take a look at these replays.
    I'm hoping that with the next release - which will include a fully functional campaignmap and actual Castle sieges - we'll be able to attract a lot of new players to the current tiny MP fanbase we have, so that the mod will be actively played online. The MP community site and ladder will also be officialy announced at the next beta's release.

I know a lot of you don't believe a mod will ever work in MP, but I atleast wanna give it a try

Regards,
    Adherbal
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Default Re: Chivalry TW - a MP mod

Greetings Adherbal, The mod looks great from the screenshots I've seen. I have been trying to install the mod just been busy as of late...especially since us Hunters haven't just yet switched to Rome. I will surely try it out and will post this thread unto our forum. Keep up the good work m8...cant wait to see the high and late units. Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by Hunter KIng George; 05-31-2005 at 18:50.
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

i will give your mod a go, however i will wait untill ive finished with the total realism mod, maybe by then you`ll have the high and late era sorted :)
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

I have always had great hopes for this mod, which looked beautiful; in fact, I have myself, quite some time ago, suggested to the Org staff for the Org to start an Org-based mod of R:TW, making a Medieval game out of it. It is no secret that I, even if I play Rome when I get the time, still find Shogun and Medieval to be far superior to the latest sequel of the series.

I have one question; does the mod overwrite the original game, rendering you vanilla Rome inoperable and thus requiring to install a complete new version of Rome with the mod in order to keep the vanilla Rome?

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

I have one question; does the mod overwrite the original game, rendering you vanilla Rome inoperable and thus requiring to install a complete new version of Rome with the mod in order to keep the vanilla Rome?
    yes, altho I will look into the possibility of making a "mod switcher file" (one of Vercingetorix's tools) so you can choose whether to run RTW or ChivTW. Using that will probably mean you miss some new interface graphics tho.
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Truly a "great" mod Adherbal

I have the Beta and the patch, but am having trouble downloading the Historical Battles. All I get is a blank screen from:

http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=503

I would really like to check these out for use in our Historical Battles Competition. Please look into this, and see what you can find out.

Thanks!

Salute
    Last edited by Tomisama; 06-01-2005 at 12:52. Reason: Spelling
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

in case you dont know, TWC has been attacked by a hacker lately. So I guess their whole downloads section is down atm. If it doesn't go back up in a day or two I'll upload it some place else.

Most of those new battles are designed for SP though, with only one side being playable and the AI side having a much stronger army (we all know how "hard" it is to beat the AI in an equal battle). They're ment to keep the SP community busy, while they await the release of the campaignmap beta.

awesome mod, definetly feels a lot like MTW. I have yet to play it online though, i hope there will be some people to fight when i get the chance.

ANYBODY who enjoyed MTW should check this out

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Yes, I like this a lot. Nice couple of online games we had, Adherbal.
    Looking forward to more games and new events for this.

All those who are intrested in this mod please come along to our official forum

http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry

There is a topic where players can organise MP games. I suspect there will be a fair few online battles this evening and/or tommorow ;)

All those who are suspect or aprehensive of MP games ( yes i know this isnt the right forum for you but ) i emplore that you come along anyway and have a look.

All our games are played for enjoyment, not competitively. And this mod was diesigned to work against dishonorable players...

Have fun all :)
    [VDM]BuuKenshin

Count on me.

Very good mod Adherbal.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Me too!

Can’t wait to loose some multiplayer games with it (did I say or think loose, oops).

Hope to see you there

Great Job Adherbal!

HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

We have now official 1v1 ladder at CWB site. Regards to Wolf_Kanuni and Yellow Mellon.

http://forum.clanwarbelt.org/

Regards

VorCid

would you mind if i made a link from my clan site to your mod forum ?

not at all :D

Thanks I may even enter the friendly 1v1 tourney on the CWB site

Everything you need to do is to mention your msn to all participating at 1v1 ladder. Then when someone is on, you contact him and see if he is interested to play a ladder match. They are much more tense then rtw matches.

All explanation on this you can find at CWB forums, Chivalry TW mod topic, where Adherbal mentioned them.

In STW there was a 30 to 60 players who played it regulary. In MTW this procentage was higher around 60 to 120 people. In RTW there is many more people, but quality of matches and atmosphere is lower.

That is why I'm also so enthusiasted over this mod, becaus I have a good quality matches there which need tactic, strategy and you people who are playing this mod are capable of mature conversation.

VorCid

Wolf_NimbleNota Member NimbleNota's Avatar

Downloading the mod now

i like the mod so much i have asked some of my clan members to try it out, and if they like it, we will become a clan dedicated to playing it full time, I know you may think its strange as this will limit the number of people we can actually play online with but, if the quality of the games are better i dont care

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Nihilist has reccomended this to the Vandal Horde too. if its better than rtr for multi then i may make a permanent switch.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

How is the mod going Adherbal? I was thinking of only dl it when its finished but i may take a look into the early era
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

still a lot of work to be done for the next beta (mosty campmap relates stuff) but we're getting there. Even tho it'll still be a beta it'll be a very complete one. Just the high and late era units (and buildings) will be missing. But even the early era has much more to offer then some other mods (we're getting close to 100 units already)

Sounds good. you really have put a lot of efort into it. This is now defintly on my next mod list after RTR. Well done on what you have done though, not many other mods have gon as far as yours.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

I finally dl it...its was great!!! still a number of point to be worked on e.g the campaign map mini map is blurred and the provinces are random, finally the towns have no garrison..thts my bit great work!!
    tht was a compliment from a smeghead
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette