Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting food

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Disgusting food

Now that I've got your attention, Fragony, how do you like our 'new herring'?

I know, I know -- these days it's all commercial bluff, smoke and mirrors just like the Beaujolais Primeur. Still, it's the thought of the first catch of the new herring season that counts.

I had mine this morning, elevenish, and I ate it raw and in one piece at the stall like you should (bloody foreigners: see picture) with some chopped onions. I have to say it wasn't as full and fatty as I've come to expect over the past decade, but the taste is wonderfully soft, the texture firm yet brittle, making for a good 'bite'.
    1 Delicious Herring

Sssooo, that made me wonder what disgusting food stuffs are swallowed, honoured, and celebrated in other parts of the world.

Please state your delicacy, and tell us what makes it great in your eyes, and disgusting in the eyes of the entire rest of mankind.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when weĺre half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Default Re: Disgusting food

well for some reason, i pop double salted dutch licorices down all day and everyone else hates them.
    i don't know any bad aussie food, most of our food is just fleshy meat cooked.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    Last edited by dessa14; 06-01-2005 at 11:16.
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccol˛ Machiavelli.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Haven't tried it yet, will do later. These bloody foreigners have no idea, a good salty fat herring is the mana of the gods! I read in the newspaper that different towns like different herring, you guys from rotjeknor like them small and mildly salty! Foreigners just don't understand that raw rotten fish that gets cleaned before your very eyes is a good thing

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Hagis and black-pudding. Weird and wonderful at the same time.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

i don't eat herring, they are too small and its better to use them as bait for bigger fish, like a nice big flathead, yummy a big flathead, of if your lucky a nice sized tailor.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccol˛ Machiavelli.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Disgusting food

snails!

a football game...a bunch of drinks with your friends and a plate of snails to snack on.....is there a better way to spend an afternoon?....i think not!!
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by dessa14
    i don't eat herring, they are too small and its better to use them as bait for bigger fish, like a nice big flathead, yummy a big flathead, of if your lucky a nice sized tailor.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    I don't believe the herring as we know it here is eaten in australia, raw and rotten and delicious. The 'sour' variety is also lovely, but nothing beats the real thing.

Disgusting food: I have eaten bulls testicles in Spain, and it was pretty good. I am not a difficult eater, I will try just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    snails!

a football game...a bunch of drinks with your friends and a plate of snails to snack on.....is there a better way to spend an afternoon?....i think not!!
    Snails! With olive oil and lots of garlic, that is not disgusting that is a godsend! The meat is so tender!

Pizza. Except when loaded with vegetables and thin crust.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Snails! With olive oil and lots of garlic, that is not disgusting that is a godsend! The meat is so tender!
    Garlic butter's better though. I love snails but I think I went off them when I heard how they are prepared:
    First they are are bathed in salt which is like acid to them so that they get rid of all the slime. Then are dropped alive on to a smoking hot pan. Enjoy!
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

I had hakarl http://www.pilotguides.com/destinati...shark_meat.php once. I think a greenland shark which has rotted in an icelandic hillside for six months makes those herring look, well, a bit girly really.

(NB for those reading the link, hakarl does not taste "cheesy", IMHO it tastes of piss.)

Edit: Oops, finally read the instructions. Why do I think this is good, well, because it is so hardcore.

Why does everyone else think its disgusting, well, because its so hardcore.
    Last edited by English assassin; 06-01-2005 at 13:06.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Anyone had any experience with nato?

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

The Serbians did.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
    Anyone had any experience with nato?

Louis,
    Fortunately not - but I had some other weird stuff in Japan of which I do not know the name...

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    The Serbians did.

Oh, come on Beirut, that is below your jokes' standard

Fortunately not - but I had some other weird stuff in Japan of which I do not know the name...
    Oh, yeah, I love those japanese desserts made with fish.... They taste ok, but the smell gives them away...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

That reminds me, I had a sort of herring cheesecake in a Russian bar once.

It didn't seem to taste fishy at all but to be honest I wouldn't have trusted myself to sit the right way up on a toilet at the time never mind doing anything more complicated due to all the WODKA that had gone on.

I DO remember the cheesecake gave me a 24 hour hangover though so is not recommended.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

you can eat the herrings you catch, but as i said its better to stick a hook through them and let them swim away, a flathead will pick him up quicker then you can yumm.
    flathead are such a nice eating fish.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Oh, yeah, I love those japanese desserts made with fish.... They taste ok, but the smell gives them away...
    hehe - I remember when my wife and I spent a couple of nights at a Ryokan, one evening they proudly served us each (among other strange things) half a head of a fish on a beautiful plate

Fortunately we were alone in our room for diner, so we did not embarrass other people while trying to figure out which parts we were supposed to eat of the highlight of that evening

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    hehe - I remember when my wife and I spent a couple of nights at a Ryokan, one evening they proudly served us each (among other strange things) half a head of a fish on a beautiful plate

Fortunately we were alone in our room for diner, so we did not embarrass other people while trying to figure out which parts we were supposed to eat of the highlight of that evening

Thats right, japanese have a thing with fish... I read somewhere they've designed a method of cooking jellyfish..... now that would actually require a will effort to swallow...

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

When I went to Colarado, everyone except me had "Rocky Mountain Oysters": Bull testicles.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

We eat horse, apparently some people find that pretty strange.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Well that is strange to some... just like we find it strange that the chinese eat dogs. Remember horses are pets to some just liek the dogs.

Anyway, go to the Faroe Islands, there you will find a massive amount of disgudting food. Sheepbrains, stinky sheep meat (rotten) disgusting fish... The list is endless.

But the trophy has to go to Sweden for their Surstr÷mming. It is a herring, packed in cans when it is beginning to rot, in a salty fluid. Then it has to sit for at least half a year until it had bulged enough for it to look about to explode.
    When you do open it you have to make certain that there are nobody in the neighbourhood outside grilling or something. Basically only hermits can eat it at their leasure. You also HAVE to drink lots of tough Snaps to get it down.

I have never had the pleasure but I have been unlucky enough to smell the house after it had been eaten. YUK!!!!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I have yummy, seemingly normal food that most people i know say is utterly disgusting.

Pancake and ketchup!

It is a great delicacy to me, and tastes like the food of the gods!! And once i have finished it, wash it down with chocolate milkshake! Yum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    I have yummy, seemingly normal food that most people i know say is utterly disgusting.

Pancake and ketchup!

It is a great delicacy to me, and tastes like the food of the gods!! And once i have finished it, wash it down with chocolate milkshake! Yum!

Same here, but I eat the pancakes with Curry sauce. Yummy!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Heheh, last time i ate my pancake delicacy, i smothered the sauce all over it, then rolled it up, picked it up, and started eating. My dad look at me in disgust, before picking up his plate and leaving the room. Another delicacy of mine which i enjoy smothered in Tomato Sauce is Potato and Corned Beef, mashed up together, and then with half a bottle of sauce put in it. Yummy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I hate tomato ketchup when there is loads of it. I prefer small quantities.

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Dog is good.
    As is jellyfish
    Sea Cucumber
    Deep fried scorpions. Those are GOOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Guinea pig. The texture, and taste, of rubber. Not worth the effort.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Mushrooms, onions, garlic, fish, mustard, horseradish, for a start. Also tofu.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Pickled Pigs Feet.

Why? Why would anyone find that tasty. I'll eat most things but that just goes too far - and I eat squid.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast