Thread: Clan Induction Question - Please Respond As Soon As Possible

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default Clan Induction Question - Please Respond As Soon As Possible

Four times now I have had requests to allow one Clan Member to sign for his mates. I have to date responded that signing The Code is a personal matter, and that each individual was required to sign for themselves.

In theory this seems to be the correct path, but the weight of insisting on individual signers is beginning to bog the process, and I have been reconsidering the policy.

If no one has any objections, I would like to allow a Clan Leader to present a list of members that they will personally vouch for, so that we can sign them all up at once.

I know that is not how some of you came onboard, and may feel that you went through the process, and that they should have too also. But it may not have been the right idea in the first place, not fully realizing the enormity of mechanics involved.

I am sincerely thankful for each and every signer that has stepped forward to claim The Code of their own volition. But if we are to impact the community in a truly effective way, we need the Clans. Opening the process to Clan Leader’s application for all, will do more to promote The Code in one stroke, than all other efforts so far combined.

For example, I have over 60 Clans at the CWC who could be offered the above option. We are now just over 100 signers (I’m still trying to catch up), and with the induction of the willing Clans, we could easily triple almost overnight. And that’s just the beginning.

It’s not the numbers I’m after, it’s the population density of Codies. How would it feel to go into the foyer and see one quarter or even one half of the players online with CoH tags on their player names?

That’s the vision, that’s when things will change. That’s what we could do, and more!

Are you with me on this?

If you feel you have a valid objection, please voice it now.

If you believe that this is our destiny, as I do, please state that also.

I can’t wait very long, as I need to respond to the latest requests.

So please do it now!

Thanks in advance
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Re: Clan Induction Question - Please Respond As Soon As Possible

im sorry to say that i disagree mate, its a quality over quantity thing for me. I would rather have a smaller community who all agree to "play by the rules" etc. rather than just getting loadsa members who, even though their clan leaders may vouch for them, the members themsleves might have never even seen/read the code.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

i wouldn't mind seeing more players/clans sign up to the COH but i think if someone "vouches" for a group of players that if just ONE of them steps out of line ALL of the players that were vouched for in that group are removed.

if they want to then sign up individually thats fine but if someone cant judge one of the players they sign up how can we accept the others?

that might stop someone signing up lots of people if they know some wont follow it.

Ok, I am getting the drift here. We will leave things as they are…

Thank you for your quick response.

Off to add our new individual signers

cool, sorry to create more work for you mate. i know what i sujested would of meant a lot of work.

i have seen people saying they follow COH anyway so why should they bother signing up for it.... i dont think they get the point of it being a visible way for us to get together and play. getting these people to sign up would be better than having people who get someone else to make the commitment for them.... shows how much they care about the COH cause.

if you need a hand keeping up with adding people i have some free time on my hands over the next few months.

p.s. i have somethings in the works that can get COH some more exposure once they're done
    Last edited by Lord Preston; 06-03-2005 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Preston
    p.s. i have somethings in the works that can get COH some more exposure once they're done
    im breathless with anticipation mate :)

btw, has this issue been settled regarding the sign up procedure or are you looking for more opinions, afterall me and preston are only 2 members and we are both in the same clan. i dont want people to feel we are dictating terms etc.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

I am pretty sure that Voigtkampf would agree with you two, so there is no need to belabor the point.

The thought for this came to me so I had to ask, although I really didn’t think it would fly. And I really agree, this thing is about individual character, each person on their own, laying claim to a set of ethics.

I’m glad you stood your ground. This is where we should be

oki doki dude

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Sorry for my late response, I've been overwhelmed with work lately.

As for a clan leader signing for his members… I am glad that the debate is over, because I personally drift between two possibilities.

First stands the claim: if you really care for the Code, you will take the trouble of signing it. I never sign any petitions, nor do I participate in things similar to this one. But I did sign this one. I have hard times joining clans, because I require the highest possible adequacy from everyone around, and I have absolutely no tolerance towards idiots. My line of work is stressful enough, thank you very much. Recently I left the WoW clan I joined upon the invitation from two good friends I know from the real life. Why? The guild master came to the server and started to attack a fellow member because he supposedly killed a rogue three times in a row (the fella complained on the forums). Now, that is considered dishonor in some opinions. I commented on how I didn’t complained that I got killed half a dozen of times by several of the Horde that were 20+ lvls (the two guys, my guild comrade and that rogue, were the same level!) above me the day before (I stood up a good fight, though ) and when he went on attacking the fellow for something we experience in much harsher form basically every day, I asked jokingly “What now? Should I fetch tar and feathers!? ”. Upon this he got mad, inquiring “who the f…” was I, that he had enough of my pi.. comments and so on. Sadly, the clan itself is comprised out of truly great people, and I would ignore him if he were just a member, but not since he is a guild master. I thanked to all the people who have helped me in private, ensured that they can always address me whenever they need anything, and have left the clan. Most of the people were disappointed because of that and said to me that the guy is an idiot, but I don’t tolerate such provocations from anyone any more.

I digress, for that I apologize. The principle is, however, the same. Here comes the second part; more people, greater the community. Greater the basis. That may appear good, but is it? In one stroke, we receive 10 more members, but they have neither read the Code nor will they follow the rules. Well, I will not leave CoH, Tomi and Wishazu are great people and I will probably have a lot of honorable fights with them. But I will ignore each and everyone who gets rude, offensive and insulting.

At the end, I’d say let them in on individual basis. If they don’t care enough for Code, better for all, us and them. If I could muster the will for that, even if I haven’t played Rome for months now (both because of the bad connections [got fast connection now] and because of spammers and alike), then anyone should be able to gather enough will to do that.

Some time ago, Org went the road from elite to common, from quality to quantity. I disagreed on that, but, hey, in the words of my WoW ex-guild master, who the f… am I? I don’t want to make CoH a closed society, but if we lower our standards, what difference will be there between us and the rest of the people playing Rome? All clans will, if only for the sake of trend, join CoH (how could you not, it might imply you have no honor if you don’t!) and will automatically take all of their members in CoH. After a while, it might become an honor to be a vanilla Rome player without a CoH tag. So, at the end, it weighs heavily in the favor of individual approach and high standards.

Sorry, quite an extensive post, but I had to compensate for my lacking in the recent days.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Hi voigtkampf

Good post. My sentiments entirely.
    Although I have signed the CoH, i did state in an earlier post, that people SHOULD play with honour and that there was no reason to have to 'sign up'.
    Unfortunately, the world being as it now is, there are those that still think it fun to spoil the game for others.
    Don't let the spammers put you off. They can be blocked from playing games you host and I will not hesitate to 'kick' an offensive player (bad language and insults).

Jochi
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Thanks, Jochi, for your words of support, I'm glad there are people around me that feel the same.

Even the best games one plays online can be spoiled by idiots, and since I didn’t like Rome as nearly as much as I liked Medieval (odd that I am here at all, isn’t it?), a fact that I have never kept secret, and that I have had poor connections (ISDN) to play bugged game with massive lag (my computer, on the other hand, is state of the art, if I may say it so bluntly) have only additionally made this game more repulsive for me. None of the veterans I knew from before, like ElmarkOFear-sama for instance, have bothered themselves with this game. People I got to play this game with were brats, nothing more; I thank them for a game, and got frequently nothing by silence, occasional “off” if they lost or they would simply drop out of game, or a “lol, yeah”, smuggish reply if they won by spamming me massively with cav and similar.

This is my last attempt to get back in saddle with Rome. If CoH doesn’t pull it off, nothing will. Unforunately, I had found no time to play recently, I hope that I will manage to pull some few hours of my schedule this weekend.

To be honest, I’m somewhat afraid of it…

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book