Thread: We've been ripped off

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default We've been ripped off

we've been ripped off, washed out and wiped.
    units replaced by other faces. mosh now or die.

damn CA, i just scrolled trough the screenshot section. and saw alot of cool skinned units. and some new ones. WHY ARE THOSE NOT IN THE GAME. i saw awesome legionaries. way better hypaspists. and alot more. another member said they had made roman cats but i didn't believed him. after seeing this hew must be right. DAMN CA. and you had atleast 50 slots left. wat ta fak. i'm getting so mad.

MOSH NOW OR DIE. MNM RULES

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Re: We've been ripped off

Erm....what? What are you on about M&M's and Moshing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I doubt there was any attempt to rip off or deceive by CA. I guess they couldn't optimize the code enough to allow us to have those killer skins without the latest Alienware mega $$ computer. Yes it's a pity but the least of my worries about RTW.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

That still doesn't answer my Question as to why he's on about M&M's and Moshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I've always suspected that those mystery units will just be in the expansion and didn't make it in time for the vanilla. At least that's my theory. You know the Roman Cats will be in the expansion and I was watching the pre-order DVD from Electronics Buoutique yesterday (cleaning my drawers and found it) and I saw some units in there that were not in the game, but I have seen in new ex-pac screenshots.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

I think he's angry that they have a huge load of new units in the expansion, while in vanilla there was a unit cap for modders.

It doesn't matter much though: the new units will all just be simple reskins of old units.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Look for a mod called lost units that' got a lot of units CE omited for some reason.

Won't the MnMs litttle shells be broken if they are jumping on each other in a mosh pit?
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

What perplexes me are things like gloss on units. I see in Decisive Battles and in the faction videos and trailers that units have gloss on them. This was before the game came out. The helmets and swords reflect for example but when the game came out, it's only the Roman Auxiliary Archers, nothing else. I see no performance hit at least on my pc once I got all the gloss back working. Why they weren't in the final product? I assume the Roman Auxiliary Archers was missed when they decided to take out the reflection/gloss.

I don't care too much about skins though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    Erm....what? What are you on about M&M's and Moshing?
    ahahahahahaha you've been banned

We do not sow.

The amount of Vanilla RTW Units is much less then the original MTW Amount of units. Fact
    Nothing interesting here, Move along folks

Quote Originally Posted by Virtute71
    What perplexes me are things like gloss on units. I see in Decisive Battles and in the faction videos and trailers that units have gloss on them. This was before the game came out. The helmets and swords reflect for example but when the game came out, it's only the Roman Auxiliary Archers, nothing else. I see no performance hit at least on my pc once I got all the gloss back working. Why they weren't in the final product? I assume the Roman Auxiliary Archers was missed when they decided to take out the reflection/gloss.

but i do. it's not all but it definitly affects the way you're getting into a game.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtute71

IIRC, one of the devs mentioned here that they couldn't do all the 'gloss' on the units. I'm trying to remember if it is Je'Rome or Captain Fishpants or another....Try a google search on the forum.

edit: Here it is. The in-house search (aside from Google) seem to be working right now )
    Gloss Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    The amount of Vanilla RTW Units is much less then the original MTW Amount of units. Fact
    However, RTW units are much more diverse though. From Elephants to Camels to Chariots to Phalanx to Hastati etc.

Peasants, Urban Militia, Woodmen, Vikings, Gallowglasses etc are practically the same units.

The horses look the same as well.
    Last edited by Quietus; 06-02-2005 at 21:42.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Actually, take one look at Gaul. No unique units. All generic barbarian units.

Another fine example of Rome's smoke and mirrors. It all looks different with the new graphical engine. However, there is a much smaller amount of units, and within the different cultures units are shared prodigiously. There is no difference with Medieval or Shogun in that. To make it even worse, some units are simply the same in stats, but look different.

All that while CA promised us a more varied unit roster to make up for less units. What we get is a tech tree which you finish within forty to fifty turns, and a completely imbalanced tactical system.

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 06-02-2005 at 22:48.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard
    Actually, take one look at Gaul. No unique units. All generic barbarian units.~Wiz
    Man your lucky ARROWHEAD hasn't seen this. If he saw you not not recognizing the Forester Warband he'd freak. Anyways the Forester warband are the best archer, especially upgraded properly. They can get up to 21 attack plus with the "Hide Anywhere" attribute they rule.

Truthfully the only reason I ever play gauls is to use the Foresters.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Games like STW showed that good games didn't need insane amounts of units to be good, just a tasteful selection. Sure RTW's roster is tiny compared to MTW, but would the Romans be better off with more types of legionary troops that serve the same purpose, or the Macedonians getting Uber-Royal Pikeman? A fourth level or Elephant for Carthage?

Seriously, Romans, case and point: Hasti, Principles, E Legionary, Legionary, Praetorian, Urban all do the same thing!!!!!!! There's nothing you can really add to RTW's factions that would enhance faction fighting techniques. It's already there, you don't need anymore unless you want to get technical with variants and super exotics.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

But what about the huge number of allied troops that are not in the game???They made up half of the roman army and yet no sign of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus
    IIRC, one of the devs mentioned here that they couldn't do all the 'gloss' on the units. I'm trying to remember if it is Je'Rome or Captain Fishpants or another....Try a google search on the forum.

edit: Here it is. The in-house search (aside from Google) seem to be working right now )
    Gloss Maps?
    Ahh, thanks Quietus, I'm no longer perplexed. LOL. Anyway, thanks to the modders, they were able to get all the gloss working for all units. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    But what about the huge number of allied troops that are not in the game???They made up half of the roman army and yet no sign of them...
    That's quite true. As with many armies, support troops were needed. But, do you mean auxillaries or allied troops? I think that the Roman skirmishers are good enough to represent the auxillary troops. Allied troops are well, troops of your allies such as the Numidians during the Second Punic War if I understand you correctly.

Sadly though, allied armies are limitted by the weak diplomacy engine in RTW. You get the on-off allied party battles(Go you Danish RK meatshields!). You can't however, make protectorates loan you troops or requisition troops from tributary states. It'd be nice if you could have a tributary state option. When a faction become a tributary state, it's like protectorate except you get a % of their income and you have the option of recruiting troops from their cities(while not being able to manage their buildings or economy). It'd be a nice way of doing things.

You wouldn't need extra units for allied troops if you could just recruit others' faction specific troops right?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Yes, a agree. there should be dozens of province specific units.

But hey, i would much rather have tons of new eye candy...

I'm all for eye but eye candy doesn't matter much when all you're fighting is an army of Peltasts trying to blunt your spears with their internal organs.

They should have speechs for the enemy army...

"Go, and stain their weapons with your blood!"

the thread is out of my control, mongoose i now give you the right to keep this thread from dying. it's a great honour, treat your title with respect. protect the poor and kiss the ass of the rich

We do not sow.

More like leading by example with so many generals more than willing to hurl themselves into your thicket of spears first thing on the battlefield.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    More like leading by example with so many generals more than willing to hurl themselves into your thicket of spears first thing on the battlefield.
    GAH!

That is what Vanya calls "leading by example"!

GAH!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]