Thread: RTR Carthaginian elephants?

Member Member Gregorius Vecchius's Avatar

Question RTR Carthaginian elephants?

Hiall!

First of all: I let the AI do all the actual fighting.

Now, as to my problem:
    I've been battling those pesky romans for years now, and managed to conquer the south of Italy, but I'm getting a severe beating in the north of Spain. I don't exactly remember what year it is (in game i mean, i'm not on drugs), but in the city of cities i'm already building the highest level of buildings (elite cavalry stables and all). I'm trying to keep building in all cities all the time, since the beginning, but still I can't train elephants anywhere! I possess all of Spain, all of North Africa west of Lepcis Magna, Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica, and the Balears.

My Lybian spearmen, Scutarii and Punic elite infantry are being slaughtered near Capua and in the north of Spain, so I could really appreciate some violent tusked input.

On a sidenote: I'm impressed with the dumbwit AI: They fight like maniacs! Or is that because I don't do any actual fighting?
    Delvecchio

Default Re: RTR Carthaginian elephants?

You can only train elephants in provinces with the elephant ressource. ( A little elephant anywhere in the province on the campaign map. )

You can train elephants in nearby Utica and in the city to the south of Carthage.I think it was Thapsus?
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

"On a sidenote: I'm impressed with the dumbwit AI: They fight like maniacs! Or is that because I don't do any actual fighting?"

The AI is insanely bad. If you fight the battles your self you will trounce them with or with out elephants.

EDIT: RTR elephants fairly realistic, and therefore not very usefull.

Stick with heavy infantry.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 06-04-2005 at 22:41. Reason: grammer

Quote"The AI is insanely bad. If you fought the battle your self you will trounce them with or with out elephants." End Quote.

I absolutely agree.The same holds true even if the opposition are the ones with the Elephants as in RTR your skirmishers are much more effective than in Vanilla RTW.These units can make a unit of War Elephants run amok with ease now.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."