Thread: Artistic Leanings, Family Favourites, Connoisseur, Gambler etc..

Default Artistic Leanings, Family Favourites, Connoisseur, Gambler etc..

My lords keep on getting vices which reduce farm and trade income by 10%. I try stripping them all of their titles when they get these vices and sometimes these vices dissapear, but usually they stay and a lot of lvl 9 acumen generals and great builders have been renderred redundant because of this. I heard somewhere here that if you put your tax to normal then none of your lords get these vices, but after a few turns of doing this they are still getting vices. Is there anyway to stop them getting these vices? It seems loads of my lords get these vices if I lose a province and some of my lords which have been ruling the same province for decades don't get any of these vices. Also it seems emmisaries have an effect in stopping lords from becomming corrupt.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Artistic Leanings, Family Favourites, Connoisseur, Gambler etc..

Put all your govenors into a career of conquest. People beating the crap out of people tend to be healthier and too busy to care about art.

Or

Conquer so much of the map you can do whatever you want and screw crappy governors. You can always make them assassin or inquisitor fodder(bad traits increase inquisitor kills so ^_^).
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

In general, just keep your governors moving. Whether they're actively in battles or not, so long as you don't just have them sitting on their fat rear-ends all the time, it usually cuts down on their vices gained.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

From memory it has something to do with your total income or total cash balance. What are yours?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Actually, I think it's more directly related to how many provinces you have. I usually see a sizable increase in incompetent governors sometime after I've conquered 1/3 of the map or so (regardless of how big my income and treasury is).
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Although if you have 1/3 of the map I think you would struggle to have anythign other than a large income.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

You could always assign regions to produce so many troops that their upkeep drains all your income.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    You could always assign regions to produce so many troops that their upkeep drains all your income.
    That would mean you have a small profit, but the revenues would still be high, which could be what triggers it.

Revenue: 36872
    Costs: 18462
    Profit: 18410
    Last Year: 40317
    This Year: 58366

I think I'll continue this on the pics and history of empire thread.

Drop the taxes through the floor. I've lowered my taxes to Low and Very Low, kept my governors in-province, and started getting some nice virtues: Builder+, Steward+, Charitable+, Approachable+.

The best governor I've ever had was an Byzantine ex-prince with 7 or 8 quills, Great Warrior, Utterly Fearless, Captivating Nature, Maginifcent Builder, Steward.. I've seen guv'ners get the Great Steward virtue, which is nice. Generally, I've dropped taxation for the trade money making provinces through the floor, since the difference isn't all that much in the long run.

It's tough going in the beginning, but you ARE used to penny- (or florin-) pinching at the beginning of the game, right? ;)
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Personally, I have been watching this problem in my games and I say, so what? Usually, I have more money than god when this starts to happen due to trade and personally, I tend to focus more time on more important things, like wasting money on armies in every province or hookers, whatever.

I see the bad vices but honestly, what are you going to do, start assasinating your entire army? Sure, I lose 10% here and there but they still usually bring more being a governor than without having one.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    Personally, I have been watching this problem in my games and I say, so what? Usually, I have more money than god when this starts to happen due to trade and personally, I tend to focus more time on more important things, like wasting money on armies in every province or hookers, whatever.

I see the bad vices but honestly, what are you going to do, start assasinating your entire army? Sure, I lose 10% here and there but they still usually bring more being a governor than without having one.
    Xactly

There's a few vices that I won't tolerate - Smuggler, Outlaw, Exclusive Trader for my Guvs - Good Runner, Strange, Crack-brained, Sybarite for my high-star fighting gens - but otherwise its realistic to have a few generals with vices.

I assassinate, disband, fry, or send on suicide missions the gens that cross the line into unacceptable vice-itude.

If I have lots of suitable replacements (high acumen dudes for guv, high command stars for fighters, then I tend to get rid of the viceful more readily.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

I'll make the effort to keep my govs and generals shiny when I'm starting out, but once I have a lot of stacks/provinces it makes the game tedious - I'll get bored and start a new one if I do that every turn. So later in the game I'll review unit stats every 10-20 years, and I let some bad vices build up - more fun to role play.

I had a sticky-fingered gov recently that I got pissed at, so I sent first an assassin then a spy to kill him. He survived both attacks and got the first informants and paranoic virtues. But most notably his habit of stealing from me dissappeared - the bad vice went away. I can't remember this happening before, but I'm going to see if I can get it to repeat.

Was it the spy or the assassin? Maybe spies act somewhat like white collar detectives. Or maybe you scared the *rap out of him .

Quote Originally Posted by Patron
    Was it the spy or the assassin? Maybe spies act somewhat like white collar detectives. Or maybe you scared the *rap out of him .
    I'm not sure which it was. I didn't notice until the second failure when I went to disband him. I think I still have the save games - may try to go back and figure it out. I like it, though - seems like a nice feature.

An aside - my least favorite vice is "not so bold". You (sometimes) get it if your general doesn't engage in combat during a battle - causes a moral penalty. Thing is you can have a bloody general with many stars, and the one battle that he doesn't get his hands dirty he winds up with this vice. I've gotten so I'm a bit wreckless with my generals just to avoid this - I'm always risking my hero on the front lines these days.

I always try to get my jedi generals as a cavalry unit and unless his unit is the most elite I can get I don't retrain him. This way he can always get involved chasing down routers at the end, if he isn't needed.

Hi gentlemen.

This is my first post.

However, I've been playing MTW since it came out and still play it.

I agree with FrostBeastEgg's Beginner's Guide (2004)...The single largest contributor to vices in my opinion seems to be having a Very High tax rate.

I keep all mine on high (when I can) and rarely get unbearable vices.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Welcome to the Org SonOfCharlemagne

Yep, avoid the very high tax rate.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH