Thread: Game out of sync playing over LAN?

Default Game out of sync playing over LAN?

A friend of mine was over at my place the other day, we've played RTW online a couple of times but was finally looking forward to some flawless LAN playing.
    Atleast we thought it would be flawless over a 100mbit LAN connection!

We played a map where i attacked and he defended a city. I used two siege towers and a ram. Battle commenced and he succeded in taking out the ram.
    Both siegetowers got to the wall ok though, and i got my troops up to the wall on both sides of the gate.

I took the gate and went ahead into the town, somewhere around here i called out "Hey, you're done for" or something like that "I'm inside now!".

"Huh?" i heard him say. "Not on my screen".
    I ran over to his computer and had a look, yup on his screen i wasn't at all inside the city. In fact he had managed to take out one of my siege towers before it reached the wall! I never managed to take the gate, and he had poured lots of oil over my troops standing in a mess in front of the gate trying to get in.

We never finished the game, i wonder what would've happened if i had taken the square on my screen and he had finished of my troops on his?
    Who would've won?

We tried another game, this time out on the countryside without any settlement, and it worked better but not very good really.

One more try with a city (after having restarted both computers) showed that the first time wasn't a fluke.

What's going on here? RTW doesn't play that good over internet, but i was pretty sure it would be alright over LAN!

Any ideas? Is there some settings that could be tweaked, a fix, something to solve this?

Default Re: Game out of sync playing over LAN?

Usualy this happens when you dont have the same game version,

Make shure your both using the same patch,
    And same mods or no mods

You were both probably playing vs the pc becous on yours you droped your freind and pc took over,
    then same happend to him,

I could be wrong,
    But thats what i think,

if you dont get many replys try asking in the apothecary
    Last edited by Shambles; 06-03-2005 at 07:40.

Thanks Shambles.

It's exactly the same version on both computers, ver 1.2 no mods or anything.

I'm pretty sure you're correct that we played against the AI both of us, it sounds logical. But why would the connection drop?
    There's nothing wrong with the LAN, been working flawless all the time. It's not a wireless one, which i've heard can have problems.

Btw, if a player drops wouldn't there be a message of some kind?

Yes usualy would say
    Game out of sync

Or atleased did in other versions,
    You may just be having problems with fierwalls.
    or udp's

Try closing Antivirus as they sometimes close UDP and force the pc in to a tcip mode,
    (udp's allow you to see hosted ames connect to them exetera)
    if your using a router to connect through the network prehaps you ned to open some ports,
    But this would usualay mean you cannot see the game to join it,

You may be better off asking in the apothecary,
    As i dont know of any answers to give you other than the 1s i have just mentioned,

ShambleS
    Last edited by Shambles; 06-03-2005 at 08:57.

Thanks again Shambles.
    I'll do a more thorough search in this forum, and over at .com and see if i find anything first... before asking for help at the Apothecary subforum. It's not unlikely the answer is out there somewhere.