Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting fit with SwordsMaster

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting fit with SwordsMaster

Quote Originally Posted by Martinus
    How do you do these exercises?

I think I know "leg raises", is that when you lie on your back and lift up your legs? Leg-ups I called them.
    Yup. Thats right.

crunches: situps. lie on your back, flex your knees , hands behind your head, work your abs.

one handed pushups: same as pushups but with one hand only (doh)

planche puchups: this one is trickier, Í dont think you are fit to do this one until you can do 50 pushups in 1 set.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Ok, thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martinus
    Ok, thanks for your help.
    No problem mate. Thats what we do.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    You can use a tree or a wall...
    Use the wall already...

btw, what is a plance pushup? I can do 80 push ups off bars so I should be fine...

oh yeah, any advice on improving the no. of dips and one armed pull ups I can do? I like bragging about it Just joking...I hear they're good excercises so might as well get cracking.

Blog Entries

planche pushups are hard.
    Lie flat on your stomach with your hands at your hip-level. put your palms on the floor and push up. You will drag your feet on the floor which is normal until you get strong enough as to lift your whole body.

For dips, use ankle weights or a weighted belt.
    One handed pullups...you can use weights as well, although I think you should just do more. If you plateaux, change them around, take 1 rep off each set and add an extra set or something like that.

nice excercise...sounds like I'll be ripping my muscles up for a good time to come with that one btw...just tried it arms by yout hips!? I can't even reach that far

Ok then, I'll see if I can get them. But yeah, to be honest...I should jsut do more reps for everything. I am damn lazy though
    Last edited by ah_dut; 06-16-2005 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Well for toning you need heavy weight low reps, like 10x3 with 90% of your 1RM, if by toning you mean increasing resting muscle tension.
    Yeah, that's what I meant, but looks like I had it arse backwards Thanks.
    Last edited by Taohn; 06-16-2005 at 18:37.
    It's pay day tomorrow. Gonna buy me some bootlaces...and green beans.

Blog Entries

Here is a planch:

clicky

You can see the up position.

Here is a planch:

clicky

You can see the up position.
    I swear that is humanely impossible...every time I do it, I rocket forwards or backwards as I do the thing ending up there...does it still excercise the pecs? I seem to be getting a bit of pressure on the back doing it

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I managed one of those last night. I felt like an Olympian God for it.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    I swear that is humanely impossible...every time I do it, I rocket forwards or backwards as I do the thing ending up there...does it still excercise the pecs? I seem to be getting a bit of pressure on the back doing it

It does exercise the pecs, but most of the force is coming from your abs, shoulders, and back. It is really hard to do (I still drag my feet), but man it works out everything.

hmm, I thought I was doing it really wrong. I didn't feel much strain at all on the pecs but I thought my back, shoulders but not so much abs were falling off in sheer pain...btw I did 10 reps, dragging my feet a lot though, just can't seem to get it up. Oh well, I guess I'll just work at it the way I worked at normal press ups...

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Tree killer exercises: Putiing the truth into annoying statements like "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."

The Log Lift.

Look at wood. Breathe heavy. Worry.

Pick up wood. Grunt loud enought to scare little animals away.

Give the finger to cameraman because he's too much of a woosy to pick the damn thing up himself. (And especially because he makes more money than you do.)

Then, after work, go to the gym. Not! Go home, drink beer, and attack girlfriend.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Blog Entries

LoL Nice one. Are you the guy "exercising" or the cameraguy? How heavy is that anyway? 120lb?

Sorry about me not updating this thing as often, work gets most of my time now and then spending my honestly earned money gets the rest... when I get 2-3 days off I'll post another big update.

I'm the dog with the log. The cameraman is the tree climber. I'm just cleaning up his mess.

I'm not really sure about the weight. It's a (was a) balsam tree. Soft wood, but not light. My guess is about 150lb, compared to 66lb bags of cement, which I am very well aquainted with.

Always feels good to tote around logs like that. Feels even better putting them down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    I'm the dog with the log. The cameraman is the tree climber. I'm just cleaning up his mess.
    You're pretty fit for a man of your age . only joking. You've got a good tan though. Or is that dirt?
    I'm not really sure about the weight. It's a (was a) balsam tree. Soft wood, but not light. My guess is about 150lb, compared to 66lb bags of cement, which I am very well aquainted with.
    I used to lift 60 kg (130lb) bags of flour last summer when I was working on a flour plant.... Imagine putting 200 of those in a truck and then unloading the truck an hour later.... I was damn fit. Couldnt get the girls off me.

You're pretty fit for a man of your age . only joking. You've got a good tan though. Or is that dirt?
    Not bad for 41. No choice though. I'm either able to do what I can do or I have to learn another job skill. And I like doing what I do.

Oh, the "tan" is my personal concoction of sun, dirt, and balsam gum. Looks good - smells good. I can work into a filthy stinking sweat and still smell like a car air freshener at the end of the day.

I used to lift 60 kg (130lb) bags of flour last summer when I was working on a flour plant.... Imagine putting 200 of those in a truck and then unloading the truck an hour later.... I was damn fit. Couldnt get the girls off me.
    That's real work. I respect that very much.

Damn straight the girls love it! I don't care how much money the guy has or how fast his car goes, when they're standing next to a guy who can work, all that flash and cash is trash. The chicks want the real men who can be the bear and keep them warm at night.

seems like I do no working out then You know...as a schoolboy, my teachers would piss themselves in anger if I carried that heavy a weight around...My bag only weighs 15kg...15kg of books. Damn, why do we do this to the kids? I mean not everyone's 6 foot tall ya know...

Damn straight the girls love it! I don't care how much money the guy has or how fast his car goes, when they're standing next to a guy who can work, all that flash and cash is trash. The chicks want the real men who can be the bear and keep them warm at night.
    Work, what work?

Blog Entries

Oh, the "tan" is my personal concoction of sun, dirt, and balsam gum. Looks good - smells good. I can work into a filthy stinking sweat and still smell like a car air freshener at the end of the day.
    *notes down carefully for future application*

...And we boys want to keep them warm at night

Work, what work?
    Curiously enough, after a whole year sitting behind a PCin summer I always get jobs where I have to carry stuff. Last summer it was the flour plant. This summer, I´m a porter in a huge hotel and carry people´s bags around the place.

work is work though right Swordsmaster?

Some work is better than other work. That's a personal observation about the personal qualities of the work.

But anyone who works and ins't a lazy leech on society still deserves respect.

Some work is better than other work. That's a personal observation about the personal qualities of the work.

But anyone who works and ins't a lazy leech on society still deserves respect.
    Does school count as work? I sure hope so with those hours I've wasted on that maths coursework...all that typing up...serious cardiovascular work ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    Does school count as work? I sure hope so with those hours I've wasted on that maths coursework...all that typing up...serious cardiovascular work ya know?
    No, it doesn't count. Unless you consider having a good job and making five times at much money as me as important to you.

mumble... grumble...

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

This sounds suspiciously like a communist gathering... "workers of the world unite!" and all that crap...

Nah, just kiddin' dogs, respect and all that etc..

Wow, I can keep up the planch for exactly 1 second. I think I'm going to applaud myself now.

*notes: extend workout by an hour tomorrow*
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard
    This sounds suspiciously like a communist gathering... "workers of the world unite!" and all that crap...

Nah, just kiddin' dogs, respect and all that etc..

Wow, I can keep up the planch for exactly 1 second. I think I'm going to applaud myself now.

*notes: extend workout by an hour tomorrow*
    Notes: Don't overtrain.

I did that and went psycho
    i.e. 6-700 press ups a day, 50 handstand pushups, 5-600 squats, 4x1 minute wrestler's bridges, running up stairs etcetc...

I just got less muscular by the day (I did this in the holidays where I have more time.) Even with 8 hours rest and a crapload of protein etc, you WILL overtrain if you add an hour to your workout.

Cut all that down by to a third and you've roughly got where I am today...and I work out about 3-5 days a week, and muscles are GROWING, your muscles don;'t grow if you don't give em time to repair. And I can hold it for 5 seconds

The power of training. My cardio endurance is improving (don't ask me why but Bethaks (Matt Furey calls em Hindu squats) do wonders for your cardio endurance) also skipping.

I have read Pavel's book the naked warrior. The 'tension' techniques are amazing. I still can't rock off a decent 1 armed squat or press up. I mean Pavel style of course. I never realise I'd been subconciously 'greasing the groove' but I can swear it works, 1 half pull up to 12 full chins with right arm only (6 with the other arm) it's amazing.

You can do 12 chins with just your right arm but not a 1 leg squat or press up? How much do you weigh?

I can't do the full RoM it's weird, I weigh 110 lbs...max by the way I am not joking. I can do 10-15 1 arm pushups with my right and 5 less about 10 with my left. But I can rarely mantain balance that well and my form is dodgy

Blog Entries

I read that book yesterday and started doing 1h pushups today.Managed 6 with my right and 4 with my left in good form, after that about another with each hand with the form of a wounded cobra.... Gotta work on that...

Evil aren't they? I can do about 10 with either arm...maybe 15 with the right now...my form is horrible though

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast