Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Getting fit with SwordsMaster

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: How do you work out

@SwordsMaster - you still around Swords? We could use some getting fit help after staying in our houses.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am indeed! Happy to help with any questions you may have too!

Personally I have been keeping it very VERY simple. Because that's what I am. So I decided I will try to outline what the new 'fitness' goals should be. And I realised that the goal was not really fitness, but rather mobility, and adjusting food habits to the new normal. My forearms also gave out after an unsuccessful kettlebell swing challenges way back in march, so I can't grip any kind of weight over 10-15 kg / 20-30lb successfully.

So now I alternate activities: One day I do sun salutations before work, and after. Then try to go for a 1h walk in the evening (after dinner if possible).
    The next day I do 2 rounds of: 50 air squats, 15 burpees, 2-3 min of planks (you could substitute any ab exercise of your choice - planks require not equipment which is why I chose them), and the finish off with 50 pushups. I can usually complete 1 circuit in under 10 min, and the whole thing in about 30 min. If life allows, I still try to go for a walk in the evening, or bike ride, or skate around the neighbourhood.

On the 'calorie intake' side of things I have gone down to 2 meals a day, with lots of coffee in between. One meal is either oatmeal or black and red bean chili (no meat, 2 eggs) about 70% of the time, and then dinner is something I try to keep at least somewhat clean about half of the time, and the other half is usually pizza, or something we order. It's not amazing, but it is one way we keep our sanity. Portion size is key: there is no point only doing two meals if you eat twice as much, or if you chose donuts every time.

Sleep is also key to digestion, fitness, and stress management. Make sure you get 7h at the minimum, in a dark room, with as little noise as possible. Do what you must to make that happen - face masks, ear plugs, limiting caffeine, sugar, and alcohol, making sure you get at least 30min of sun exposure during the day, or whatever else will help your body transition from 'daytime' to 'nighttime' will help. It is hard now that many of us sit in a room in our homes day or night, without a work commute to help punctuate the separation, so we must be more thoughtful about it.

We'll make it through yet. It is our jobs to make sure our bodies still work on the other side so we can enjoy the things we have been missing. Bodies are lazy things though, so I keep a multitude of alarms, pomodoros, and reminders to make myself do things I know are good for me.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Members thankful for this post (3):

Swords, good to see you around!

I've been picking up going to the gym in the past 3-4 months, being in the house for so long required some necessary fitness changes - plus the lack of any team sports which I love like football and basketball have taken a toll.

Do you have any suggestions for core strengthening? I do squats with weights but that's about it.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

Blog Entries

Hey Edyz!

Have you tried asymmetric exercises to work on the core? Loaded carries with weight only in one side, single leg deadlifts, one arm/leg pushups/squats/planks. Keep good posture (read straight spine).

Long sitting tends to shorten certain muscles as well, the big ones are going to be hamstrings, quads and hip flexors, glutes, pecs, and front deltoids, so incorporate stretches for those to help 'unbend'. Yoga's 'Upward facing dog' position is very helpful for me as my lower back gets a lot of the tension when I sit for long periods. Lunges, deep squats, and rotating your thumbs outwards (arms straight down at 'attention') and holding that position is also helpful to activate the back of the shoulder and rotate it back to a more natural position.
    Last edited by SwordsMaster; 10-12-2020 at 20:03.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

Also, and this is by no way an advertisement, but I have really enjoyed Nike's Training Center (NTC) app, it is free (though asks you to register) and it provides a good variety of home workouts. It's great at keeping things fresh in case you start getting bored. There's a lot of yoga and mobility there too - at least for me, mobility is easy to overlook and focus on the things I like doing.

Swords, thank you so much.

I will be resuming my gym regimen next week, took a pause for a while for various reasons. I see you noticed yoga, which brings me to the question - how did you get into yoga & did you see significant benefits?

I'm not really into meditation and exercises but as a very big football fan (soccer for my American friends), there are a number of footballers who swear by yoga that it improved their mobility and lengthened their career.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Swords, thank you so much.

I will be resuming my gym regimen next week, took a pause for a while for various reasons. I see you noticed yoga, which brings me to the question - how did you get into yoga & did you see significant benefits?

I'm not really into meditation and exercises but as a very big football fan (soccer for my American friends), there are a number of footballers who swear by yoga that it improved their mobility and lengthened their career.
    Glad to hear you're getting back to exercising Edyz! It has been helping me stay a little sane throughout the lockdowns, and this darker part of the winter.

Like any other exercise, yoga can be as much about meditation as you would like - there are many who apply yoga to strength, flexibility, balance, and not for its meditative aspects. The same is true of kung fu, or aikido, or any number of other physical practices. I personally know a number of people who would argue that running marathons is a form of meditation though I personally prefer to meditate with a Rioja and so I prefer those yoga workouts that focus on the exercise and not the more 'spiritual' commentary.

I have begun incorporating various parts of yoga into my workouts for a number of years, usually as a remedy for a particularly sedentary stage in my life. My dad used to do Sun Salutations in the mornings when I was younger, and are a quick and easy thing to incorporate into your workouts. Up, and down-facing dogs and their transitions have been very helpful with hamstring and back mobility as well. If you're already doing one-leg deadlifts you might not find the one-leg balancing exercises very useful, but I don't currently have access to a full gym so I find them helpful for balance too.

Ibra and Christiano incorporate yoga into their workouts, and there is certainly a vast number of workouts available on youtube so you have a choice of more/less physical/spiritual (Tim Senesi runs a more physical flow).

Thank you Swords for the comments.

I am definitely looking into it, as you mentioned as well Ibra and Cristiano incorporate it into their workouts - and look at them! 36 & 39 going amazing in their careers!

Proud

Been to:

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021