Thread: How is BKB compared to XL?

Default How is BKB compared to XL?

Hi, I just joined in today and am amazed at the level of development and effort that are put into mods.

Right now, I just installed the XL mod into my MTW VI version. I was elated to find out that the mod allowed me to play more small factions that didn't exist in the original game, as well as factions such as the Golden Horde and the Papacy. However, there are still some historical inaccuracies; for example, the Mongols in the map were actually divided into two separate interwarring khanates: IlKhanate and the Golden Horde, otherwise known as the Kipchak Khanate. In addition, by the Late Period, the Almohades should have been gone and replaced with the Merenids in Morocco and the Hafisids in Tunisia.

After reading the BKB thread, I am considering changing to the BKB mod.

My uncertainty: Would this require deleting the existing XL mod? If so, how do I delete it? Would I have to reinstall the MTW and VI expansion pack before executing the BKB mod? Are there any bugs in the current version of BKB? Does BKB change the game, or is it similar to XL and only adds new campaign platforms, but allows the player to play the original game as well?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: How is BKB compared to XL?

Welcome Poirot to the forums!!!

BKB's Mod is a great one!!! The only bug ar the graphics in the campaign map...Quite blurred...

You have to delete the XL Mod in order to play BKB's Super Mod...
    I myself have BKB's Super Mod... I have 4 installs of MTW VI on my PC!!! 1 for BKB's Super Mod, 1 for XL Mod, 1 fresh install, 1 for my mod....

BKB's Super Mod has the Ilkhanate!!! It also adds many many units to the original game!!!(Iranian Ghulams, Kilibanophori, Kipchaq Cavalry, Condottieri Cavalry) Also, it adds many new factions!!!

Try it!!!!

Cheers!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Both mods are both good in their unique ways and are both worth a Try. I've been having problems getting BKB Installed but that don't put me off a fantastic mod. In XL unlike BKB you can play all eras in GA Mode.
    Nothing interesting here, Move along folks

BKB's is way better in my opinion, 1st off, M:XL doenst even work, it doenst have new units and its just really lesser. BKB's has an insane amount of reasearch and time put in it, i mean, in the late version you can get "champion of the joust" i mean holy s***, thats insane......

Prematurely Anti-Fascist Senior Member Aurelian's Avatar

Both mods are great. At various times, I've heard people complaining about how each of them "doesn't work". If so, its probably due to a bad download or a bad install. Trust me, they both work. I've got both of them on my machine and I play them both frequently.

You get different things out of each mod:

BKB's Super Mod - A new map for each era. LOTS of new units and new factions. New buildings.

BKB's mod is great, the new units and new maps offer lots of replayability and color. In terms of FEEL, the Super Mod tends to start everyone with plenty of money and troops.

The XL Mod - One new expanded map... that works with GA goals. BKB's mod has three new maps, but the cost was not being able to play with GA points. Lots of new factions, some new units. Unlike the BKB mod, XL starts you off with fewer resources and fewer troops. He also lowered trade income and increased the value of farming. The overall effect is that you are in a tighter economic situation during the game.

If I were you I'd certainly try both mods. Each one has a slightly different feel, but both are great.

What is the BKB mod and where to i get it, i have been looking for another mod like xl.
    An Army Is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Man

(-(-(-(-(-(-(-( Total War Merc )-)-)-)-)-)-)-)

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Here lies the info you seek:

BKB Super Mod Thread

the BKB i hard to install, u think someone could give me instructions (where to put it, what to do etc) (I used the default directory to install mtw and vi
    An Army Is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Man

(-(-(-(-(-(-(-( Total War Merc )-)-)-)-)-)-)-)

Experimental Archaeologist Member Russ Mitchell's Avatar

BKB has an awesome array of units, including a number typically overlooked.
    XL is a bit more truly medieval in terms of danger and scope, and to mind a better East-Central Europe (my area of specialty).

I've enjoyed the hell out of both. Currently playing BKB. SEEING both makes me want to make my own variant. But then again, I'm both a geek and a medievalist, so...

But to load BKB... just go to the top of this thread... and read the entirety of BKB's post. He has an autoinstaller now that is really awesome, if you fix the installment prompt...

Ngata tsukelan mokwisipiak!

Ive tried XL mod its awesome i am thinkin of tryin BKB mod but i was wonderin are the different maps in each era annoying it seems like ot wouldnt be worth expending the effort to capture some territories if they just magically dissapear

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

No no, the map you start out with is the map that stays for the whole game. Nothing changes or disappears. As I have said countless times though, XL is a game based on the though, Land is power. BKB is a game with lots of units, with a trading economy. It doesn't really matter, I got both installed, just really what you like.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Oh cool thanks

oh both mods are VERY GOOD
    I played both and liked them, there's a good and bad side to both

BKB mod has many factions and a whole lot of new cool units, but no GA mode
    XL mod has a good map and GA mode but not a lot of new units

But I would definently pick the BKB mod to be sligtly better, I got 2 mtw instalions on my pc, 1 for BKB and 1 for XL :)

Not much here that hasn't already been said. XL mod if you want a long-running GA game.

BKB's mod adds a ton more buildings and a few agents, i.e. axe-smith tech. tree, Jewish Master Merchants, Heretic Priests, etc.

Is it just me, or could XL's cash-strapped economy greatly benefit from BKB's fisheries, foresters, and other money-making enterprises...?
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Thank you guys. I'm converted. I've not seen a general impale himself on any long pointy things (ahem...any version of RTW....ahem), and I even lost a battle! I can't remember the last time I lost a winnable battle in RTW (getting smashed by rebels you did not know existed and you've got one garrison infantry unit is NOT a battle), and it is nice to know that there are so many people who have put so much time into what I think is a better product (mind, I'm not exactly great right now though).

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

XL is a GOOD mod and BKB is a VERY GOOD mod!!!

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

They're both great mods, although I wish they'd make use of the concept of homelands which Wes Whitaker introduced in his MedMods. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that the Scots, as an example, can conquer a far off province on the steppes and create highland clansmen there.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Member Member Crusader4thepeople's Avatar

I love both, but i preffer XL a bit more, cuz i love the GA and the awesome campaign map and the new factions.

Bkbs units are hreat, as are the factions, but the GA and the better faction and campmap swing it a bit in XLs favour, although its much hardfer then before.

BKB: 9/10
    XL: 9.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader4thepeople
    and the awesome campaign map
    Can i just ask, why do you think VH's map is better than BKB's three maps, i'm sure he'd like some feedback on this as well, especially as his new mod is based around a completely new map(well, near enough).
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Ok that was pretty unclear. BKBs maps are awesome but with me there all pretty blurred, whereas XLs is clrearer with me, although i love the fact that BKB adds icelandm the balearics etc. Age of Warlords BKbs new project is another league in maps mate, it is superior to any i have seen for MTW ever.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Too bad BKB's mod is blurred. And at least he could have made 3 more maps so we can enjoy GA....

Hopefully his new mod is without blurr....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Can you just explain that statement....i usually only read posts in proper english.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

mine or edyzes?

The blurred camp map Q has come up abit but i really didn't notice until recently when some people have pointed it out
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 07-22-2005 at 22:07.

One thing that did make me cry was that if you start a campaign in early in BKB when you get to high and late the new units dont become available. I love deliberatly taking the game slowly because just rushing gets boring. The BKB maps are really good but if it means not having some units available and no GA then i think it would be better without 3 different maps just one really good one.

Anyway both mods are excellent and a real credit to the makers. I have had lots of fun plauying both and really has extended the life of this game

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

I never noticed it playing. I havent played XL, but BKB's mod just adds so much. And i dont want to play a game with no trade income cause thats alawys my game strategy.

both mods are AWESOME, but if I had to pick one I'd definently pick BKB's mod, it has mor units, more provinces, the only thing is u cant paly GA mode but its ok

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    I never noticed it playing. I havent played XL, but BKB's mod just adds so much. And i dont want to play a game with no trade income cause thats alawys my game strategy.
    Trade income has only been reduced, but you can still make a lot of money in the XL mod. The reason for the reduction is the fact that the AI can not handel trade, making it a cheat for the player. The AI can however handel farms, so I have increased farm income by 30% and it makes a huge impact on gameplay IMO. The reason why I have not added more buildings is IMO that the AI already have enough problems with building things. I had last year a talk with another modder and his view was only having castles and farms, but that would not be any fun for the player. The compromise was here to keep the original buildings and only add a few.

Quote Originally Posted by PittBull260
    both mods are AWESOME, but if I had to pick one I'd definently pick BKB's mod, it has mor units, more provinces, the only thing is u cant paly GA mode but its ok
    It is not possible to have 3 maps and GA at the same time, so my choice was GA. I don't know if BKB has removed any of the original provinces in his mod, but my mod has all the original ones (because of GA), plus 9 new ones. Both mods have 107 provinces and 30 factions per era. Both mods feature an edited version of the original map, no total remake here like HTW.

I would say the main differens between the two mods is choice of factions and provinces, more units (at the expense of userfriendlyness because of the deadcord file switching), more maps or GA, Full trade or reduced trade, Lots of buildings or a few more. The mods show the choices of the modders and it makes both mods special. I belive there is a "market" for both mod or I would not have made a XL mod. The choice of what mod to download is a matter of players needs and view on MTW.

Hopefully this will be the last time I see a BKB vs. XL, because it reduces the fun of modding.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

The BKB maps are really good but if it means not having some units available and no GA then i think it would be better without 3 different maps just one really good one.
    GA yes but the number of units is restricted by period so it is not possible to add as many as I want. 256 is the limit for each Unit_Prod file, and each period has many exclusive units.