Thread: Negative Building Bonuses. Argh.

Default Negative Building Bonuses. Argh.

Why o why....

...do negative bonuses for buildings not work? Excepting the trade level bonus, it's such a great tool sitting right there in front of us, and we can see it working on some bonuses (the trade ones), but not on others. It will show "Public order bonus due to law: -20%", but there is no corresponding -20% that shows up in the city summary window. It is totally blank in that section.

Am I wrong on this somehow? It would be so terrific to figure out a way (or if someone already knows a way) to remedy this. Any ideas? What are the restrictions?

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: Negative Building Bonuses. Argh.

Negative bonuses for most things do work - kinda. They're just limited to cancelling out positive bonuses. If you have +20% law bonuses in a city, a building that has a -20% penalty will reduce the law bonus to 0. But if there is only a +10% law bonus, it will still only reduce it to 0 bonus.

That's my experience anyway. It's annoying for sure. Good old CA for giving us such great modding options for buildings.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

The trade and tax negatives always work, since there's always trade and tax to take away. The others . . . yeah, it's a pain.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Negative bonuses for most things do work - kinda. They're just limited to cancelling out positive bonuses. If you have +20% law bonuses in a city, a building that has a -20% penalty will reduce the law bonus to 0. But if there is only a +10% law bonus, it will still only reduce it to 0 bonus.
    They don't even do that. The only one that does anything at all when set to negative is the trade modifier.

I guess I spoke too soon -- at least some of them do seem to cancel other bonuses. I know I tried at least two that didn't work before...

It's really too bad too. This could help us immensely if we could have negative population growth or negative happiness under certain conditions. It is severely hindering some things I would really like to do with the cities and buildings and the fact that we can make the bonuses show up, but just not work makes me even more frustrated.