Thread: Messages in bottles work!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Messages in bottles work!

I just heard on the radio that somewhere near South America, 42 people got shipwrecked on a desert island. And guess what they did? They got a bottle, wrote a message to put in the bottle and threw it in the sea. 24 hours later, it was washed up on a beach, where someone found. The right authorities were contacted and all the people were saved.

Talk about lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Messages in bottles work!

Why didn't it work when I was trapped in the bathroom for 3 hours because I accidentally locked the door from the outside?! I sent a message...I think...
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKnight
    Why didn't it work when I was trapped in the bathroom for 3 hours because I accidentally locked the door from the outside?! I sent a message...I think...

Any way on the subject. They really are lucky. Who knows what could of hapend if the ystayed on the island any longer. They could of turned in to savages like in Lord of the flies.............

p.s lol

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

gah

We do not sow.

Pretty lucky. Also, good use of initiative.

Perhaps I will take up bottle-messaging, it's the new text-messaging. Plus, you get to throw bottles around at people. Hmmm, I don't think it'll catch on.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i like it. if we get bush so far to do it, atleast al americans will follow

We do not sow.

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Lucky bastards! What are the chances that it washed up on a beach, and was found? I suspect that they are rather low. Any statisticians (or junk brains) who can tell us?
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

it won't work if the waves are going the WRONG WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by clayton ballentine
    it won't work if the waves are going the WRONG WAY!
    But, at least near the coast, they will essentially change direction every six hours, so at some point (or several) they would be going 'the wrong way.' BUT!: since the earth is round (shocker, I know ), even if it initially went away from land, the bottle should eventually come to the opposite shore.

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Lucky they had a pen.. I assume they used a pen.

I have figured out the statistics to be 1:543000 that the bottle will be found. Of course many of the variables are hard to fit into the equation.
    Viva La Rasa!!!

Bloody lucky if you ask me.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Efrem
    I have figured out the statistics to be 1:543000 that the bottle will be found. Of course many of the variables are hard to fit into the equation.
    If you sucseed a will eat my shoue!!!!!!!

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Revolting Peasant Member marcusbrutus's Avatar

Maybe we should start chain bottle messages! A lot more interesting than those annoying e-mails. Every member of the org should throw ten messages in bottles into the sea and see if it takes off.

What do you all think and any suggestions for what the message should be? Probable best to have it written in a couple of languages as well.
    "Semper in Mira. Solum Profundum Variat."
    - Geoff Lee, One Spring (2002)

"Game graphics are like bikinis - it's not about what you show, it's about what you leave to the imagination."
    marcusbrutus

Quote Originally Posted by marcusbrutus
    What do you all think and any suggestions for what the message should be? Probable best to have it written in a couple of languages as well.
    The message should be something to the effect of, "If you you found this bottle, please go to x and such web address and tell us about it. Also, please put this message in ten other bottles, and throw them into the sea for a special prize "

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:

Oh God, I can see it now…

If you don’t copy this note ten times, bottle them and drop them into the sea, all of your socks will fall apart in the wash…

Or perhaps:

If you copy this note, bottle it and drop it into the sea once, one good thing will happen to you today. If you copy this note, bottle it and drop it into the sea twice, two good things will happen to you today…