Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign map

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Campaign map

Latest version :

Approximately 80 provinces. Any input would be nice
    Provinces/settlements names will be up tomorrow. Now it's time to get some alcohol and to get drunk
    Last edited by Meneldil; 07-28-2005 at 21:14.

Default Re: Campaign map

Aquitaine is still pretty big... I hate to be a jerk about it, but it's surrounded by so many small regions...

I also think there should more, smaller German provinces.

Son of a Star Member Bar Kochba's Avatar

cant a bit more of greenland be added this is a game about vikings and althogh they diddn't have a big community there it would still be cool if there was a bit more of it
    "It is not so much that we need to be taken out of exile. It is that the exile must be taken out of us."- Lubavitcher Rebbe

"Its a great mitzva to be happy always" Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

We want moshiach now!!

Ofcourse it wold be cool having more Greenland there, but then we must have a huge area in the atlantic outside Britain and spain with only water.

Allso, the province will probably not be used at all. I don't think any player will bother traveling this far to get a very small village.
    And the AI won't tutch it at all i guess..

My best bet is to see what Legio's map looks like when it's finished.

-Skel-

Age of vikings and fanatics: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor
    Ofcourse it wold be cool having more Greenland there, but then we must have a huge area in the atlantic outside Britain and spain with only water.

Allso, the province will probably not be used at all. I don't think any player will bother traveling this far to get a very small village.
    And the AI won't tutch it at all i guess..

My best bet is to see what Legio's map looks like when it's finished.

-Skel-
    Well, it might be a good place to hide...

I think Greenland should be left out of the equation until all the other map-necessities have been finished. If there's still time and room for Greenland, a bonus it could be.

If I were you guys, I'd cut off the map a little bit North of Britain. This would keep the focus on Europe, and the Norwegian and Swedish AI would be forced to look toward Europe, rather than wasting time up North. IMO, I think that a map showing this area would be best.

That's an excellent map, but I'd like to have more action in the North. It's nice to conquer your neighbours fiirst, I think.

Yes, Euratlas maps are trully great. There are one of my sources for the map I made earlier :)

Vikings factions should not waste a lot of time conquering Scandinavia. I think the north of Scandinavia and Finland should not have a lot of Provinces, and be heavily protected by rebel armies, just as eastern russia (so the Varagians and the Khazars don't spend their time conquering empty lands once they've torn apart the Volga Bulghars and the few other organized tribes living here)

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Yes, Euratlas maps are trully great. There are one of my sources for the map I made earlier :)

Vikings factions should not waste a lot of time conquering Scandinavia. I think the north of Scandinavia and Finland should not have a lot of Provinces, and be heavily protected by rebel armies, just as eastern russia (so the Varagians and the Khazars don't spend their time conquering empty lands once they've torn apart the Volga Bulghars and the few other organized tribes living here)
    the player will probably be able to do conquer the way vikings did at this time in spite of a detailed north. even though northern british isles and scandinavia is presented, the player can leave them alone and do whatever he want - ravish his way down to sahara without care if he wants. the ai is another story, but giving them an agressive nature and setting up some badass starting dimplomacy may make them kick a lot of ass.

edit:
    btw my opinion on greenland is waste of time and space.

Should they necessarily kick more ass than the other factions, though? Not everyone can dig the Northmen.

if not kick ass then at least pain in the ass

Like I said, though; more than other factions? I'm sure they'll be a tough opponent and will have some sweet units, but none of the factions will be pushovers.

(Have you been drinking?)

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    Like I said, though; more than other factions? I'm sure they'll be a tough opponent and will have some sweet units, but none of the factions will be pushovers.
    nah no pushovers. I just feel they should be agressive so we don't have defensive and scared vikings. actually it's not that important to me, so I'll give the torch to someone more competent on history. I'm just defending number of provinces.

(Have you been drinking?)
    haha! no... just lost my pills down in the sink, that's all

I think that more provinces are good. I hate big ones..

If I could synthesize a Kool-Aid Man saying "Oh no" for you, I would.

LOL

Imo (and i have been drinking :p) the vikings should start with some really misplaced armys to be the pain in the ass they were. Not huge conqering armys, but small bands of them in England, Portugal, Italy and france. This ofcource needs alot of playtesting, but it wold probably be alot of fun.

They wold never in any case be able to hold on any provinces in the south, but as a player you wold be able to loot southeuropean citys (realistic) and if you play one of the other factions you should start with armys facing the obvious borders, and be forced to deal with them in yous unprotected "backdoor (realistic).

The byzantine/muslim/khazar armys were huge organized dreadnoughts, batteling out huge battles compared to the northern kingdoms. And they should, by setting economy/sterting armys/diplomacy/technology/personality be forced to focus on huge battles among eachother, and then being vulnerable for smaller attacks away from their fronts. (if possibele)

This is just my oppinion, but for all offencive factoins of the time, having armys spread way past their borders wold make the campaigns very interesting.

Ofcource, small raidingpartys shouldnt stand a chance against any of the factions main armys. But having vikings all over Europe (specially in britain) and muslims penetrating in Byzantine areas, Franks penetrating Al-Andalus areas, aso. wold be very realistic.

-Skel-

Age of vikings and fanatics: Total War

The problem with that is that these raiding parties weren't under the same kind of central leadership that will be present once the player takes over. If these small viking armies were to be Rebels, though, I think that it would make a nice touch.

Default Re : Re: Campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor
    LOL

Imo (and i have been drinking :p) the vikings should start with some really misplaced armys to be the pain in the ass they were. Not huge conqering armys, but small bands of them in England, Portugal, Italy and france. This ofcource needs alot of playtesting, but it wold probably be alot of fun.

(...)

Ofcource, small raidingpartys shouldnt stand a chance against any of the factions main armys. But having vikings all over Europe (specially in britain) and muslims penetrating in Byzantine areas, Franks penetrating Al-Andalus areas, aso. wold be very realistic.

-Skel-

Well, as far as I know, a raiding army far away from its faction's lands will just try to go retreat to its cities, and won't raid anything. If you want these raiding armies to attack britain/france/whatever, you'll have to give them a settlement in these regions (which isn't un-historical), or to use command scripts such as "attack 'xxxxx' settlement".

Edit : Or as Neon God said, make these armies rebels, and everything will be fine I think :)

1 - Aquitaine - Limoges
    2 - Gascogne - Bordeaux
    3 - Brittany - Rennes
    4 - Neustria/Maine/Anjou - Orléans (could be replaced by Le Mans or Angers)
    5 - Septimania - Montpellier (could be replaced by Narbonnes)
    6 - Provence - Marseilles
    7 - Burgundy - Besancon
    8 - France - Paris
    9 - Flanders - Boulogne
    10 - Upper Normandy - Rouen
    11 - Lower Normandy - Avranches
    12 - Spanish March - Barcelona
    13 - Navarre - Pamplona
    14 - Castilla - Burgos
    15 - Leon - Oviedo (could be remplaced by Leon -the city)
    16 - Gallicia - Oporto (could be replaced by Santiago de Compostela)
    17 - Toulouse - Toulouse
    18 - Badajoz - Badajoz
    19 - Toledo - Toledo
    20 - Zaragoza - Zaragoza
    21 - Valencia - Valencia (I don't know if this place was an independant Emirate or part of Cordoba during the 9th century)
    22 - Almeria - Almeria
    23 - Granada - Granada
    24 - Cordova - Cordova
    25 - Sevilla - Sevilla
    26 - Novgorod - Novgorod
    27 - Polotsk - Polotsk
    28 - Smolensk - Smolensk
    29 - Rostov-Suzdal - Rostov (could be replaced be either Vladimir or Suzdal)
    30 - Kiev - Kiev
    31 - Pereiaslav - Pereiaslav
    32 - Chernihiv - Ryazan
    33 - Volhynia - Brest
    34 - Galich - Galich
    35 - Estonia ? - ???
    36 - Livonia ? - ???
    37 - Lithuania - ???
    38 - Prussia - ???
    39 - Pomerania - Kolberg
    40 - Mazovia - Plock
    41 - Chrobatia - Cracow
    42 - Polania - Posen
    43 - Friesland - Utrecht
    44 - Ripuaria (could be Upper Lorraine/Lotharingia) - Aix la Chapelle
    45 - Moselle (could be Lower Lorraine/Lotharingia) - Strasburg
    46 - Liguria - Genoa
    47 - Tuscany - Florence (Pisa ?)
    48 - States of the Church - Roma
    49 - Spoleto - Spoleto
    50 - Venetia - Venice
    51 - Friuli - Aquileia
    52 - Croatia - Sissek
    53 - Servia - ???
    54 - Lombardy - Milan
    55 - Alemannia - Zurich
    56 - Franconia - Frankfort
    57 - Saxonnia - Bremen
    58 - Transalbingia - Hamburg
    59 - March of the Billungs - Oldenburg
    60 - NordMark - Brandenburg
    61 - OstMark - Juterbog
    62 - Bohemia - Prague
    63 - Bavaria - Salzburg
    64 - Moravia - Olmutz
    65 - Silesia - Breslau
    66 - Carinthia - Fiesach
    67 - Cherson - Cherson
    68 - Tmoutarakan - Tmoutarakan
    69 - Levédia - ??? (land of the Magyars in 840/850)
    70 - Etelköz - ??? (land of the Magyars in 840/850)
    71 - Pannonia - Ofen
    72 - Avarorum Solitudo - Kaliesa (sp?)
    73 - Carpathia - Erlau
    74 - Transylvania - ???
    75 - Banat - Vidin
    76 - Dalmatia - Ragusa
    77 - Dyrrachium - Dyrrachium
    78 - Nicopolis - Nicopolis
    79 - Peloponnesus - Corinthes
    80 - Hellas - Athens
    81 - Thessalonica - Salonica
    82 - Macedonia - Andrianople
    83 - Thrace - Constantinople
    Last edited by Meneldil; 08-01-2005 at 12:11.

Coming along nicely, but my comments from before still stand.

Yeah, but I found a way to make Aquitaine and German province less huge. I just want to make sure I won't reach the 199 provinces limit.

who is doing the map? meneldil? or just researching?

I'm just researching, mainly because I have nothing to do and like everything related to the normans/vikings age.
    I'm not even part of the team
    Last edited by Meneldil; 07-31-2005 at 15:39.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Well, I disagree with NeonGod. I don't think province sizes and borders matter that much, the cities are the most important point. If there were not other important cities nearby, then the city inside the province of Aquitaine can be large without any problems. I think vanilla R:TW removes one of the more interesting aspects of the game by placing most cities evenly on the map. Great differences in city density, and province sizes, isn't a bad thing IMO. So please base the map on city importance, rather than feeling forced to make some provinces small enough.

I like the last version of the map, France and Spain are great, and HRE seem fine too IMO.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Well, I disagree with NeonGod. I don't think province sizes and borders matter that much, the cities are the most important point. If there were not other important cities nearby, then the city inside the province of Aquitaine can be large without any problems. I think vanilla R:TW removes one of the more interesting aspects of the game by placing most cities evenly on the map. Great differences in city density, and province sizes, isn't a bad thing IMO. So please base the map on city importance, rather than feeling forced to make some provinces small enough.

I like the last version of the map, France and Spain are great, and HRE seem fine too IMO.
    That's just it, though; it's about having more cities. Plus, having huge territories based off one remote city doesn't make any sense; troops can't make it to the corners of the region, and you can't even see what's going on in most of it. In terms of game mechanics, it may not matter much, besides a little devastation in low-fertility areas and the interruption of some trade, but realistically, a region's people would not be inclined to be supported by a city that is simply too far away.

Edit: Oh, is it only 199 provinces? Hrrrmm. >:-(

Wow! We also get a piece of Greenland on this map. Does this mean we will also have some Inuit rebel units ?

is 80 the limit on provinces?

No, the limit's 199, apparently.

Yeah, either 200 or 199 (200 less the 'sea' province)

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

That's just it, though; it's about having more cities. Plus, having huge territories based off one remote city doesn't make any sense; troops can't make it to the corners of the region, and you can't even see what's going on in most of it. In terms of game mechanics, it may not matter much, besides a little devastation in low-fertility areas and the interruption of some trade, but realistically, a region's people would not be inclined to be supported by a city that is simply too far away.

Edit: Oh, is it only 199 provinces? Hrrrmm. >:-(
    Well, in this period the control over areas wasn't as complete as it is today, so it's good enough IMO. But that doesn't mean I don't want almost as many cities as possible, just that I don't want them to be chosen based on location, but based on importance. I support trying to get as close to 199 cities/provinces as possible.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Well, in this period the control over areas wasn't as complete as it is today, so it's good enough IMO. But that doesn't mean I don't want almost as many cities as possible, just that I don't want them to be chosen based on location, but based on importance. I support trying to get as close to 199 cities/provinces as possible.
    Control of the area was pretty tight, though, simply on the grounds that it needed to be. Bandits were common things, and the longer the roads were, the bigger of a problem it was for common folk to make it to the cities. Even if only for trade purposes, big provinces in populated areas really don't make sense.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast