Thread: A question about "Regular Tribute"

Default A question about "Regular Tribute"

I am still fairly new to the RTW world, but oh, do I love it I have encountered this problem a few times and I wonder if I may be misunderstanding this...

Playing as the Scipii, when I request regular tribute from a faction to attack another faction, say 2500 denari for 3 turns, do I have to attack that faction for all 3 turns? Or can it just be on that turn, or the one after, or 2 of the 3 or what?

The reason I ask this is because I have done this with the Carthaginians when I was going to take over Syracuse, but when I tried to do this again when attacking another faction, the Carthaginians said that they couldn't trust me to even attack, so they said no to paying me any denari.

Was that just a fluke, or do you have to attack said faction for as many turns as your are "getting paid to do so"?

TIA and glad to be a part of here

-fe

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: A question about "Regular Tribute"

Hello there.

I'm not entirely sure about the ins and outs of receiving tributes for attacking other factions, as many factions tend to be uninterested in giving money for such a task. Personally, I'd attack the faction I said I would within a few turns and pocket the money. I doubt you have to attack every turn for the duration of the tribute. You are probably just expected to attack in the near future. The AI for example, when receiving a tribute from yourself to attack another faction, tends to attack within 10 turns or so. And sometimes never it seems.

The AI can become untrusting for little or no reason at times, and I wouldn't worry about not being able to receive tributes for attacking other factions. Extract money from them through other means if necessary.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Welcome to the guild!

to answer the question, you do only need to attack them once , just attack the faction, you really don't need to attack them 3 turn if that was in your tribute deal.
    The deal was to attack, once will do the job

Actually you really don't have to attack, I mean you will get your money.
    The only thing that could happen when you do nothing , is that you get the '' I don't trust you to attack them '' message more often.
    the faction(s) will trust you less, don't know that for sure though , for more info on the trusting factors of diplomacy read the diplomatic guide , stickied here in the colosseum

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Thanks fellas. I have read thru all of the Guide's and such, but none of them were clear on this, so thank you for clearing this up for me.

And thanks for the welcome.

Happy Hunting :)

-fe

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

For 1 thing go to diplomacy, and go to the faction in question and mouse over it. It will say something to the effect of "attack faction xxxx.

This is how you can tell if the A.I. has attacked a faction you contracted them to attack. If it still says attack faction xxx it means the obligation is still there. Along with being able to check if you fulfilled your contract in case you forgot what the deal was made for.

As far as the amount of turns my guess is there are no negative effects if you do it in 10 turns or less. based on senate missions it's 10 turns for all but blockade missions.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

The system is sometimes buggy about sending transgression messages.

You get paid regardless. Don't attack if you don't want to. After you get paid, attack the faction that tributed you. Hell, you drained their treasury for your benefit. Who cares if they trust you less when they are dead?

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Thatnks for the insight Katank, that is if there is ever a multyiplayer campaign map.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war