Thread: EB starting units? (tech tree question)

Spawn of Nyarlathotep Member GeWee's Avatar

Default EB starting units? (tech tree question)

In vanilla when you start a campaign you don't have access to units that were historically in use at the time the game starts, for example triarii, companion cavalry, phalanx pikemen, horse archers etc. Basically the more advanced units of every faction.
    Will this be the case in EB too or will the available units be based on what units the factions had in reality at that time?

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Default Re: EB starting units? (tech tree question)

The tech tree is going to be redone in the finished mod. Hopefully, unit progression will be realistic, or at least much more so. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy enough with it, and will have realistic access to units.
    NÝ dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

well, i tought abotu soemthing. altough its clearly flawed, but maybe a stepp in the right direction.

why dont we make the building costs 0. and schedule teh building times in such a way that units will become available at the given time (by modding the building times) in this way. people can take descisions: woudl i want to get good infantary very early. and cav later, or rise it equally.

I also agree with GeWee. its weird that you need another building to be able to build triarii ( still hate the way RTW pronounces it). why dont you build barracks lvl 1. get All possible infantry from pre-marian and get an Exp-bonus with additional barrack lvls

Will Buy Food For Food Member Bouchious's Avatar

will the tech tree be more complex like mtw style rather than the simple rtw barracks equals infantry style? (soz thats been buggin me)

Quote Originally Posted by Bouchious
    will the tech tree be more complex like mtw style rather than the simple rtw barracks equals infantry style? (soz thats been buggin me)
    Limits on number of building types have severely hindered what we would like to do branching out different buildings. I can't answer this question precisely, but what we would like to do is definitley going to be different from what the limits of the code and the limits of any turn based game will require us to do.

Not directly related to this topic, but one thing I find somewhat flawed in the orignal game is th fact that the Marian reforms, essentially mean you pretty much lose the unit experiance of all the lovely Hastati for example you have used for ages. Is it not possible to retrain these troop, effectively, transforming them into the equivelent Post Marian unit....i mean let's face it, they did not all pack up and go home in reality did they.

Oh, wonderful work to date I must say, I cannot wait to try it out.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    why dont you build barracks lvl 1. get All possible infantry from pre-marian and get an Exp-bonus with additional barrack lvls
    I noticed that RTR does this. Good idea IMHO.

DA
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

also about units. Will you be using the 0 turns for recruitment like SPQR or will you keep the 1 turn for recruitment of vanilla?

We will not be using the 0-turn recruitment. However, we have explored options with scripting that would allow recruiting an army in a turn, but I doubt we'll use that, unless we can work out some kinks.

what are the kinks with 1 turn building?

Population. You see, we can script that when you build one unit, it is accompanied by several others (creating an 'army' buildable in one turn), and will drain population accordingly. However, it allows you to drain a population to nil to the extent where it won't grow and can cause other bugs.

ahh, yes. i see. well, i gave it tis own thread. so we wotn go off-topix any further in here