Thread: Help with recruitment modding, please!

Frustrated would-be modder Member vastator's Avatar

Default Help with recruitment modding, please!

Having tinkered with the unit stats to my satisfaction (for today at any rate! ) I'd like to alter modify some of the recruitment stats, as follows:

Romans:
    Block recruitment of Legionary and Praetorian Cavalry, make Praetorian and Urban Cohorts recruitable only in Rome.

Britons:
    Make it possible to recruit Barbarian Cavalry, block recruitment of Heavy Chariots.

Egyptians:
    Block recruitment of Heavy Chariots.

Idiot-friendly advice would be very much appreciated!

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Re: Help with recruitment modding, please!

Please explain what you mean by "block recruitment," first. Do you mean 0-turn recruitment, or something else?
    Cogita tute

Poor choice of words there... I should have said "prevent recruitment".

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Ok, well there must be a tutorial around about this, it is pretty basic. To enable (or disable) a unit for a particular faction, in export_descr_units.txt you would add (or remove) the faction name from the unit's "ownership" line.

Then, you need to:
    - add (or remove) unit recruitment lines from the appropriate buildings in export_descr_buildings.txt
    - add (or remove) texture lines from the appropriate model entry in descr_model_battle.txt
    - add appropriate unit card and unit info pics to the appropriate directories (this can be quite difficult if you haven't done any modding, I suggest you find an in-depth tutorial on how to unpack the .pak files using Verci's xpack utility, and what the UI directory is and how to use it)

I'm sure I'm missing something, but it is late here, sorry.

To restrict a unit to Rome, you can use the existing "rome" hidden resource. It should be present in Rome in descr_regions.txt (I can't recall if it is by default in 1.2) and if so, all you should need to do is tack on "and hidden_resource rome" to the end of the unit recruitment line in export_descr_building.txt, and possibly add rome to the list of hidden resources at the beginning of EDB.txt, if it is not already present there.

If 1.2 doesn't default to having the hidden resource rome present in Rome, you will want to find a tutorial on adding hidden resources.
    Cogita tute

THe Rome hidden resource is alive and well in 1.2 and used to limit the recruitment of First Cohorts so, as khelvan says, just add - and hidden_resource Rome to the units lines in export_descr_buildings.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Great! Thanks for the help, guys. I must say adding unit cards fills me with dread, as I made a right pig's ear of using Vercingetorix's unpacker trying to give the Seleucids ballistas. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed...