Poll: Faction naming - people, political, or other?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input requested - faction naming

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Input requested - faction naming

Hello, EB fans. I am interested in your feedback regarding a question of aesthetics.

As you know, our naming convention is defined so that we get as close to we can to real, period names. In the case of faction names, we have several choices. The faction can be referred to as a people or a political unit with direct references, in many cases. For some factions that are monarchies or empires sharing a similar cultural identity with other factions, the choice is clear. For others, it is not so clear.

For instance, "Carthage" may be called by the Punic name for its people, Tsorim (or Ponnim), or the Punic name for its political unit, Safot Softim biQarthadast. Or, if "Rome" were a single, united faction, it could be called Romani for its people, or Senatus Populusque Quiritum Romanorum (please forgive any Latin or Punic mistakes, I speak neither).

As you can see, "Tsorim" flashing by every turn is much more clean than "Safot Softim biQarthadast." However, both are appropriate and accurate; one is simply the name for a people, the other for a political unit. (Tsorim = Tyrians, Safot Softim biQarthadast = "The Rule of the Softim in Carthage")

This basically boils down to preference, and so I for one am interested in your thoughts. I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.
    Last edited by khelvan; 06-07-2005 at 07:56.
    Cogita tute

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: Input requested - faction naming

The more acurate to what it's accurate historical name is the better for me. It adds another dimension to the game, and fans of history will apreciate it.

Well, this is the point; we have found accurate names for both the people and the nation. They are both accurate. It is the difference between saying "United States of America" or "Americans." Both are valid, but one refers to how we call our country, the other how we call ourselves as a people.
    Cogita tute

I would go for the political unit, but thats just me. After all, when you conquer a nation you don't kill all the people. You vanquish their political power, and subsume them (Rome did anyway). But if it results in long, awkward and unpronouncable names then it probably should be avoided. KISS people. :)
    The Xaxifaxiphrataxis: The Whores With The Most Armour!

Balloon:

Well, you can see the specific Carthaginian example above. We will of course provide pronunciation guides, but the question remains. Based on the example above, would you go with "Tsorim" or the longer "Safot Softim biQarthadast?"
    Cogita tute

I would go with how the people are called.

ie. We have defeated the American forces
    We have defeated the forces of the United States of America

We have defeated the Chinese forces
    We have defeated the forces of the Peoples Republic of China

While the second variation is more accurate, it also less commonly used today. I would guess (and I have no historical backup here, but a few logicala reasons (efficiency, characterising another group as an enemy/inferior people)) that this would hold true throughout history.

I myself would definetly go with Tsorim.

But what about "mixing" in some special cases like that one above. I find Tsorim much easier and cleaner than Safot Softim biQarthadast.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Well, you can see the specific Carthaginian example above. We will of course provide pronunciation guides, but the question remains. Based on the example above, would you go with "Tsorim" or the longer "Safot Softim biQarthadast?"
    You can't just call it "Carthage" (or the Punic equivalent of the city name) on the strat map for brevity, and then include the full name in the faction description at the beginning for historical accuracy, immersion, etc?

I would prefer the political unit as the name, if available. I think Temple made a good point:

I would go for the political unit, but thats just me. After all, when you conquer a nation you don't kill all the people. You vanquish their political power, and subsume them (Rome did anyway).
    I think the name of the people could be included too, like if the province ever goes rebel (ie, "Lesbian rebels"... so "Tsorim/Ponnim rebels" or something)

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO you will use the people's denomination to refer to troops, etc composed by citizens of that faction. To refer to a faction as a political power it feels more reasonable to use their political name.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Go with the names as a people coz all the names in your previews sounded good and plus i guess if you named them as a political unit the names would be very long as you put in the example for Carthage and Rome...
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    General George Patton Jr

I prefer to have the names of political units. It adds more imersion in the diplomacy screens, one of the few occasions the full faction name apears in the game.
    Last edited by cunctator; 06-07-2005 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep
    "Lesbian rebels"
    Hehehehe...

Sorry about that. Couldn't help myself. Last time, I swear..
    The Xaxifaxiphrataxis: The Whores With The Most Armour!

Balloon:

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

I voted political unit. since the an 'empire' (dont start again plz) like Alexanders was refered to as "the empire (i know, i know) of alexander" but teh people living in those city's didnt refere to themselves as 'alexanders' people, or whatever. the tought of themselves as people of their city.
    Dunno if its the same ebverywhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

SOLVE LORA INFERNIS Member Shrapnel's Avatar

I would go for the way that they call themselves as people, it would be like saying 'I'm going to play as Spain' or 'I'm, going to play as the Spanish'.

In some cases the name of the people is preferable because it is easier to say. In other cases, the political body controls far more than one people. In the cases of the Seleukid Empire and the Roman Empire, the subjects and citizens were not all one people. In the case of federations or confederations of tribes, one wouldn't want to imply that all of the people were from one tribe.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

i voted political unit, simply because when i play this type of game, i tend to see myself as playing the empire, not the people, per se. e.g., i like ponnim and tsorim, but safot softim biqarthadast sounds more important or.. epic or something.. to me. regardless, either convention is a vast improvement to the immersion, so it's not that big a deal to me.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

There are many different instances where this applies - in general we'll be adjusting the display text as need be. That is, all the text about "Tsorim city" or "you have defeated a Tsorim army," that sort of thing. However, I am specifically referring to the name of the faction which displays when you click on the faction icon, which shows up at the top of the screen when it is that faction's turn, and in the diplomacy screen.
    Cogita tute

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Then change my vote to the opposite. Plz.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

I voted for the political unit for the same reason as Temple :when you conquer a nation you don't kill all the people. You vanquish their political power, and subsume them.

IMO, hence my vote, Political since People's name is too specific. In the ancient world, I don't the borders are well defined as well as people's affiliation.

(However on very popular factions like Carthage. I'd rather have plain Carthage because it is an instantly identifiable terms today.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    Then change my vote to the opposite. Plz.
    Done.
    Cogita tute

Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    However, I am specifically referring to the name of the faction which displays when you click on the faction icon, which shows up at the top of the screen when it is that faction's turn, and in the diplomacy screen.
    In that case, DEFINITELY use the political unit.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Just to play devils advocate, it isn't always the government that would be best. For example, the Sarmatians weren't the "Group of Tribes that are Sarmatians" you know? Sometimes it was a distinct ethnic group that they were known as. Mongols weren't the "Empire of Chingiss Khan", they were Mongols. The people that they absorbed became know as Mongols as well, even though they were say Turks or Kipchaqs or whatever.

Personally, I believe that it should be a mix, where applicable. The Empire of Selukids as opposed to the Aeudi.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

The Aedui would be more approiatly called the Aedui Condederation than the Aedui. I do agree that is a question that should be handled on a faction-by-faction basis rather than according to some ironclad rule.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

I think QwertyMIDX and Steppe Merc are correct. In the case of Carthage I think the name of the people makes more sense. For other factions it is going to be different because they were not all nation states as we have today. Each was different in their own way and how they saw themselves.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    Either one works for me, as long as it's consistent throughout all factions.

I think the point is that it shouldn't be consistent, certain groups thought of themselves as a people first and a political entity second (or third or whatever) while for others it was reversed. I feel that EB should try to reflect this.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    The Aedui would be more approiatly called the Aedui Condederation than the Aedui. I do agree that is a question that should be handled on a faction-by-faction basis rather than according to some ironclad rule.
    Actually, "The Aedui" is redundant. Aedui is (sorry if I get this wrong, Ran) "the Aedu" in Gallic.

Edit: And really, I'm trying to solicit opinion on "Tsorim," etc. first. I don't know that we can be completely consistent here as I do think that different peoples referred to themselves in different ways.
    Last edited by khelvan; 06-08-2005 at 00:58.
    Cogita tute

I think the vote in both places is showing that taking each name on a per faction basis is a safer way to proceed. And now we have evidence that a hard line either way is probably not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by khelvan
    Actually, "The Aedui" is redundant. Aedui is (sorry if I get this wrong, Ran) "the Aedu" in Gallic.

I know Khel, it's the same as in Latin (just like lots of things in Gallic), I was just using the article for the sake of keeping the arguement simple.

So long as the names are easily recognisable it's fine. The Tsorim one's a bit dodgy, because most of us mere mortals only know it as Carthage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast