Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One in five children bullied by text

Default One in five children bullied by text

Children are facing threats and intimidation by text messages on their mobile phones, according to a new report.

Research shows one in five children has been targeted by bullies who use nasty text messages and photos.

The research showed 14 per cent had been bullied or threatened via text message, almost three times more than those who have been bullied over the internet and nearly four times as many as those bullied by e-mail.

One in ten has felt threatened or embarrassed by bullying carried out with a camera phone.

Some 17 per cent of those affected in this way said they believe the images were also sent to other people.

More than one in ten young people admit they have sent a bullying or threatening text message to someone else.

More than a quarter of those bullied by mobile phone did not know who was doing it.

The charity NCH is helping to launch www.stoptextbully.com offering advice and support for young people affected by bullying.

NCH's new technology adviser John Carr said: "For a child or teenager being bullied by mobile phone, it can be terrifying and feel like there is no escape.

"This new research reveals the massive scale of mobile bullying and shows how camera phones are being used by bullies to frighten and intimidate their victims."
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050607/356/fkkcs.html

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: One in five children bullied by text

Ban cell phones in high schools, any cell phone used during school hours should be confiscated.

I absolutely hate those camera phones. I hate cameras in general, because 'funny' pictures tend to be out of context and end up being used to ridicule people who were just having a good time.

We all act like idiots, but when someone gets caught on camera it's suddenly worth sharing with the rest of the world ? Pure Hypocrisy.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    I absolutely hate those camera phones. I hate cameras in general, because 'funny' pictures tend to be out of context and end up being used to ridicule people who were just having a good time.

We all act like idiots, but when someone gets caught on camera it's suddenly worth sharing with the rest of the world ? Pure Hypocrisy.
    OK there has to be a story behind that, cough it up.

But yeah, ban cell phones on schools.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

NCH's new technology adviser John Carr said: "For a child or teenager being bullied by mobile phone, it can be terrifying and feel like there is no escape."
    Correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't that what an off switch is for?

I admit, I am the Star Wars kid.

No really, I had some embarrassing moments caught on camera, but nothing I can't live with and laugh with.

I just like my privacy, and I like the fact that some things you do can be forgotten. I don't want pictures reminding me of every stupid thing I have ever done while drunk.

Wierd that people would waste money just to send someone a cowardly threat.

I would just block them or switch it off, I'm sure they would soon get bored

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Ban cell phones in high schools, any cell phone used during school hours should be confiscated.
    They try and do that in my school. I disagree strongly with it, cause if someone needs to talk to someone, they have to. It doesn't disprupt class, and it's all good. School needs to loosen up, not have more rules.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Camera phones are a waste of time and money. It doesn't surprise me at all that bullies attending schools have found a use for them, because they too are a waste of a school's time and money.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

The days before cell phones - if my parents needed to get ahold of me they called the school.

There is absolutely no need for a teenager to have a cell phone on while in the class room. Its a disruption of the teacher's ability to provide instruction to the class.

One must pay attention in the classroom if one is to learn. Having toys such as cell phones in the classroom is a waste of not only the student's time, but the rest of the class also.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    They try and do that in my school. I disagree strongly with it, cause if someone needs to talk to someone, they have to. It doesn't disprupt class, and it's all good. School needs to loosen up, not have more rules.
    What do you mean it doesn't disrupt? Short of a running gun battle, it's one of the more disruptive things you can have going.

You shouldn't have phones out in class. And kids are horrible to each other, so probably ban them from being used in school, at least by the younger children. And anyone taking horrible pictures using them should really get in trouble.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess those poor kids are so paralized with fear they can't reach for the off switch.

While these bullies are jerks, the kids who are gettig bullied seem to have no spine.

I don't know about England, but here in the US public elementary schools all over the country are treating kids more and more like they have super-delicate self esteem. They've banned dodgeball (because people can lose!), turned tug of war into 'tug of peace', and done everything possible to sugar coat life and never, ever, to force a kid to confront a problem or deal with setbacks. What do you expect when they get a stupid text message that says they're dumb? Their house of cards charade breaks down and they act like its the end of the world, unlike someone who would just laugh it off.

Ad I agree that cellphones should be banned. They are at my school, but the enforcement varies by the teacher.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    I guess those poor kids are so paralized with fear they can't reach for the off switch.
    It wont help them though, the text will still be there, in all possiblity from someone who they can't identify. At least with a 'traditional' bully you know what you're up against and can deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgb
    It wont help them though, the text will still be there, in all possiblity from someone who they can't identify. At least with a 'traditional' bully you know what you're up against and can deal with it.
    You can do what some girl at my school did and just get the police involved. Most bullies tend to stop then. Even if they don't know who it is (and generally they do anyway even if they aren't sure) then having some police person come to school and look imposing should work.

Just announce loudly and to a lot of people is sending you retarded text messages, and it's quite funny how they're wasting their own money doing this. Make sure to show it too a lot of people too, so they can all have a laugh at the senders' expense.

Make comments about how such anonymous threats are probably made by a girl you dumped, since no real MAN would ever be such a wuss. Imply homosexuality if a guy does do this.

Wow, people are so touchy these days. just put the damn phone in your pocket and let them waste their time and money.

What do you mean it doesn't disrupt? Short of a running gun battle, it's one of the more disruptive things you can have going.
    Well if it's on vibrate, and they don't actually talk on the phone in class.

But anyone that gets upset over this needs help. I'm not trying to be mean, since when I was younger, I certaintly would have been hurt over this. But I learned (evauntaully) how to deal with bullies (and people in general), and these kids need to learn as well.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Well if it's on vibrate, and they don't actually talk on the phone in class.
    First you say if someone needs to talk, they have to and it doesn't disrupt. Now you say it doesn't disrupt if they don't talk. Pick your version fo events...

And how many people actually turn their phones to silent, or respect others and not talk in class?

It's not only kids that get bullied. All media where you don't have to show your identity will be used to bully people around.
    I get at least one death threat a month on my mobile......

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

I agree 150%.
    My school got so paranoid, it is now illegal for anyone, including teachers and staff, to take pictures of our local rent-a-cops. Yes, our school has rent-a-cops. We've had some hilarious times with them.
    [story time]
    Well we got this one, his name's randy. and he's a freak. Really. So once, I was on the late bus home (yes alot of my stories happen on the late bus), and his car was driving next to our bus, so a few people noticed it and someone threw an eraser that was previously from a pencil (so it was tiny) at his car. It bounced off the roof. So, what he does, is he pulls up literally about an inch from the bus, and pulls the bus over! He gets on it and starts screaming! I was surprised he didn't burst an artery. He was threatening to have us all arrested and a bunch of other crap, finally the kid who did it fessed up. Now, supposedly, the next day our assistant principals, who are for the most part good people, supposedly almost fired him over it! Funny stuff.
    Another time someone took a picture of randy, and photoshopped his head onto I beleive Jenna Jameson, I'm not sure though, and posted pics of it all over the school.
    [/story time]

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Quote Originally Posted by bmolsson
    It's not only kids that get bullied. All media where you don't have to show your identity will be used to bully people around.
    I get at least one death threat a month on my mobile......
    Hell I would think your phone was unlisted - but I guess its also your business phone though?

Its to bad that some people resort to that type of nonsense.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    Hell I would think your phone was unlisted - but I guess its also your business phone though?

Its to bad that some people resort to that type of nonsense.
    You are right, it's my business phone.
    My unlisted phone don't have any problems...

It's really sad. Even worse that it's mostly cops.......

What exactly do you do bmolsson that you attract such interest?

Quote Originally Posted by dgb
    What exactly do you do bmolsson that you attract such interest?
    I have an on-going civil suit against the National Police Chief and the National General Attorney. I demand a public apology and about USD 20 million for charity. They in turn sue back for USD 70 million. I have won everything so far. The real humiliation for them is that I am representing my self in court. According to the law only licensed lawyers can appear in court and only locals can be licensed. Due to the fact that the constitution grants every resident to be able to represent themselves, I appear and gives them a hard time. I argue the same way in the Indonesian court as I do here.......

So you're just using us a glorified legal training .

In all seriousness though, good luck with it.

First you say if someone needs to talk, they have to and it doesn't disrupt. Now you say it doesn't disrupt if they don't talk. Pick your version fo events...
    Well if someone is talking on the phone in the bathroom or something, or in lunch. If they wanna talk in class, that's probably not a good thing, but I really couldn't care less about most of my teachers and if they have a hard time.

And how many people actually turn their phones to silent, or respect others and not talk in class?
    Good point. Though cell phones disapearing doesn't magically make people more respectful.

edit: bmolsson, good luck with your suit.

Kaiser, you got rent a cops? We've got real ones... my friends know them all by name, cause the ones in school are mainly the ones that have busted them.
    Last edited by Steppe Merc; 06-08-2005 at 13:08.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Students should be banned from having cell phones in school (Yeah it's awesome being a graduate )

Seriously though cell phones are a distraction because there's always that 10% that do not turn theirs off or set them on silent. Teachers and administrators have enough problems to deal with these days and allowing cell phones only invites more problems. Until I see a study that states cell phones are beneficial in schools I will be opposed to them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for respecting students, but these days kids think respect means bending over and taking it...

Well if someone is talking on the phone in the bathroom or something, or in lunch. If they wanna talk in class, that's probably not a good thing, but I really couldn't care less about most of my teachers and if they have a hard time.
    So is it that you don't care to particpate in the learning process? And that is sacrism

Now seriousily - have you ever tried to instruct anyone in a classroom environment. Its a little harder then you image especially in a room full of people who will not particpate nor give the students around them the respect to provide them an enviroment in which the teacher can instruct the lesson of the day. Respect is a two way street - when you as an individual show disrespect or uncaring attitude toward the instructor - they have a tendency to return the favor and vice versa. Cell Phones in the classroom are nothing more then a distraction. There is absolutely no reason for a teenager in the classroom to have a cell phone. If its about emeragancy contact by your parent - then they can always use the age old method of calling the school directly, and pulling you out of the classroom.

And frankly you should care about your teachers having a hard time instructing you - because it distracts from your time. That is about the most acidine and idiotic statement I have seen - the problem is that many teenagers feel that way. If you don't care about your time - quit school and become a day labor and don't waste your time any longer with education.

Good point. Though cell phones disapearing doesn't magically make people more respectful.
    No it won't - but once again name one good reason for a student to have a cell phone on in the classroom.

Kaiser, you got rent a cops? We've got real ones... my friends know them all by name, cause the ones in school are mainly the ones that have busted them.
    When you know the police officer by name because they have arrested you or stopped you from behaving badly - then the problem is on the student and the parents of that student - not the police.

Now seriousily - have you ever tried to instruct anyone in a classroom environment. Its a little harder then you image especially in a room full of people who will not particpate nor give the students around them the respect to provide them an enviroment in which the teacher can instruct the lesson of the day. Respect is a two way street - when you as an individual show disrespect or uncaring attitude toward the instructor - they have a tendency to return the favor and vice versa. Cell Phones in the classroom are nothing more then a distraction. There is absolutely no reason for a teenager in the classroom to have a cell phone. If its about emeragancy contact by your parent - then they can always use the age old method of calling the school directly, and pulling you out of the classroom.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Just feeling the pre exam stress right now...
    And recently I had to give a lesson for a class period as a test grade in English. And it wasn't fun... so I can understand why teachers are grumpy sometimes.

And frankly you should care about your teachers having a hard time instructing you - because it distracts from your time. That is about the most acidine and idiotic statement I have seen - the problem is that many teenagers feel that way. If you don't care about your time - quit school and become a day labor and don't waste your time any longer with education.
    I apologize, I was acting a bit stupid by saying that comment. I do like some of my teachers, and I never disrupt any of the classes that I'm in. But I really have difficulty getting worked up over whether some of my teachers classes get distrupted, at least in the classes that I don't understand at all, despite my hardest effort.
    And my mom, and two of my aunts are or were teachers. So I do know that not all of them are evil, and that it is hard work. But I don't think that just having a cell phone deserves getting more points (you accumlate points, then when you get to 15, you get a 3 day Saterday detention), than a cut class gets. But that's probably just my school, cause my school is ... not normal, and not in a positive way.

And I can see not wanting to have phones ringing in class, and I guess those kids could be punished. But people also get in trouble for talking during lunch or in between classes or in the bathroom. How is that disruptive?

When you know the police officer by name because they have arrested you or stopped you from behaving badly - then the problem is on the student and the parents of that student - not the police.
    It wasn't me. And I didn't mean to say it was the polices fault. It just is.
    I don't know any of the cops myself, and never really talk to them. I must admit, I'm scared of people twice my weight and that are bald, and have weapons.
    Last edited by Steppe Merc; 06-08-2005 at 21:48.

Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

And I can see not wanting to have phones ringing in class, and I guess those kids could be punished. But people also get in trouble for talking during lunch or in between classes or in the bathroom. How is that disruptive?
    Wow you're school isn't normal. Has your school had a bomb threat or something? My old middle school had 18 (can't remember if it was 8 or 18) bomb threats and they have pretty similar restrictions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast