Thread: I am a protectorate...

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Question I am a protectorate...

Has anyone else here ever been offered to become a protectorate of an AI faction? Last night, I was.
    I was playing as Britannia on VH/M and was trying to perform the crusaders scenario, where by you have to conquer and hold all island provinces, Jerusalem and Damascus and Belgica, but you cannot hold any other provinces.
    Anyway, I had raided Alesia a couple of times, conquered the settlement, eradicated the populace, destroyed all the buildings and looted the place dry and then gave it back. This was while I had built quite a large army and fleet that was just about rounding Spain (stopping on the way to pick up some mercs and raid some Spanish cities). Then one time I forgot to give Alesia back. Big mistake, the populace rebelled with a stack of 14 peasants - fair enough you might think, they're only peasants. These peasants all had 1 gold chevron experience, silver weapons and golden armour! Where the hell did all that come from?
    Bearing in mind the army and fleet was rounding the Pillars of Hercules, I was in trouble. The Gauls already had quite a few big armies around in addition to the uber-peasant stack and I was also at war with Germania who were attacking Belgica with small stacks too. When the peasant stack moved at Belgica, I decided to send all I could muster (mostly mercanaries) from Londinium and Belgica to attack the stack before it could combine with a Gallic stack containing cavalry, warbands and a 5-star general arriving from the West and some Germanic skirmishers arriving from the East.
    I was able to rout the peasant stack at quite a heavy cost to my rag-tag army (around 7 lots of mercs vs 14 mega pesants). Had the peasants had the 5-star general or some mixed-unit support I would've stood no chance. As it was, it wasn't a completel victory because I lacked sufficient cavalry to spare for running down such a vast horde.
    Anyway, next turn, the generals stack approached the settlement in Belgica so I sent out a diplomat to try and stop the attack or at least get some cash, since I didn't have the forces to do so and my coffers were empty. When I offered map information, the Gauls offered me protectorate status and also offered 1,700 denarii per turn for 7 turns. Despite the impact on my pride I thought I'd accept, since an alliance with Gaul would also abate the Germans and it was not in my objectives to attack either of them.
    In those 7 turns I was able to rebuild my channel defences, raid most of coastal Spain - making me a fortune, capture Palma from Carthage and refill my coffers. Gaul has left me alone, although when I finally quit he looked to be shaping for another attack against Belgica, but this time I will be ready with a professional and well equiped army.

So you see, being someones lacky isn't so bad if it helps you to achieve your objectives. A thoroughly profitable arrangement for me I think and from what my spies could see it seemed to do the Gauls a favour by allowing them to concentrate on fighting the Julii. It's onwards to Sardinia now and then to Sicily.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default Re: I am a protectorate...

ive had to become a protectorate on rtr a few times. it helps for a while but its mostly my "protectors" who end up attacking me a few years later, but it does give you a nice breathing space.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member Jambo's Avatar

It's funny because when you have protectorates they pay tribute to your coffers. Conversely, it seems that when you're a protectorate, you don't appear to pay anything to your protecting faction?!¬?

If that's indeed the case then becoming a protectorate of another faction during tough times is a very good idea.
    =MizuDoc Otomo=

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Al,

I had something similar, maybe even more strange. I also played Britannia and according to my rules I was not allowed to attack any town hold by Gaulish forces. I had this city on the mainland only defended by one peasant attacked by the Gauls. They offered me to become protectorate and gave me 5,000 denarii. I accepted. However, the very same turn they attacked me?
    Crazy fools. Cannot make up their minds.

P.S: Why don't you join our game?

I am sort of playing your game just by slightly different rules. The game just seemed a bit slow with 2 turns/years per day. I also find it much more challenging if you are limitted to conquering objectives - only looting permitted for other settlements.

I can give you a rough points score if you like:
    Britannia + 1000
    Hibernia + 1000
    Palma + 1000
    ======
    + 3000

Played 16 Years
    16 x 500 = - 8000

So I'm on -5000 points, which is pretty crummy.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i've been offered and accepted, why you think, they offered 40000 with it. i immediatly stopped the free marching agreement and we were just normal allies after it. if they don't offer momney ask it, and they'll pay. the same turn break the alliance

We do not sow.

i've been offered and accepted, why you think, they offered 40000 with it. i immediatly stopped the free marching agreement and we were just normal allies after it. if they don't offer momney ask it, and they'll pay. the same turn break the alliance
    I was quite happy to keep the protectorate. The free marching agreement allowed me to move men through Gaul to reach the Mediterranean faster than going the dangerous route around Spain - dangerous due to my current state of war with Carthage and Spain.

I'd never played the British before this Crusader campaign... is it me or do their units really suck? No cavalry except for chariots, no artillery, no archers, rubbish low end infantry? The majority of my armies tend to be composed of mercaneries unless I have a major city nearby. Due to the globe trotting nature of my campaign, this had led to some pretty varied armies.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

chariots are great, but indeed they have no interesting units (not weak, but not interesting). however if you check twc you'll see sum interesing british units or ask me.

i got
    new woads
    pict berserkers
    caledonian heavy inf
    caledonian nobles
    caledonian inf

and more

We do not sow.