Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Archive- Old Download & Install information (beta7)

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: Download & Install information

Quote Originally Posted by Irinami
    I'd strongly recommend not over-adapting the language. That is, leave it Geisha.
    Yes, I was going to.
    In his specific case the game looks for an entry that's not there and because of that displays an error message instead. I'll just put "Geisha" in the place of the plural and we're done with that.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

I downloaded it, but I dont know what to do next. Downloaded MTW fresh, got the patch, then downloaded the mod. But the game doesnt switch to Samurai warlords, stays the same old MTW.

I never had this problem downloading XL....
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    I downloaded it, but I dont know what to do next.
    You run the beta_7.exe you downloaded and give it the path to your MTW/VI v2.01. There is also a beta_7.1.exe patch that you should run as well.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 11-22-2006 at 00:12.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    You run the beta_7.exe you downloaded and give it the path to your MTW/VI v2.01. There is also a beta_7.1.exe patch that you should run as well.
    I press the .... button and it brings me to this screen. I expand local disk and press on Medieval:total war viking, then press ok. All it shows is D:/ though. Is this what it should do?
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Nevermind, I fiqured it out. I formally consider myself a genuis ; maybe I should just skip high school and go straight to Yale, or maybe Harvard.

Hi all, I've just tried this mod, and so far I like it a lot. I have one problem, though, with copying music from STW to this, and since I couldn't find a thread for that swapper utility, I thought I'd post it here. So, it says as a first step to run SoundSetupSTW to create a rollback folder. But when I start that .bat file, nothing happens. I checked the contents of the file, and saw I should get some info message, and a choice of continuing or quitting, but that doesn't happen. Could someone tell me what to do? Or redirect me to a thread dedicated to this music copyer?
    Co-leader of the Renaissance: Total War team. Our HQ is over at TW Center, in the Hosted Modifications sub-forum.

Running SoundSetupSTW.bat and SoundSwapperSTW.bat

The bat file needs choice.com, which is an old DOS command file, to display the menu. You should already have it in your main game folder, and I know it's included in the samuraiwars_11b.zip. You can put it in C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder so that any bat file can find it. Here are all the posts I was able to find on using the SoundSwapper. I'll repost them here:

Tomisama:

Ok, lets give a full explanation a go

If you are running the SoundSetupSTW program in the Medieval – Total War\Sounds folder, it will create a new folder called Sounds in that folder, and place a STW folder and MTW folder in it, with empty Orders, Troops, and Frontend folders in "each".

*MD = Make Directory

MD Sounds
    MD Sounds\STW
    MD Sounds\STW\Orders
    MD Sounds\STW\Troops
    MD Sounds\STW\Frontend

MD Sounds\MTW
    MD Sounds\MTW\Orders
    MD Sounds\MTW\Troops
    MD Sounds\MTW\Frontend

*Then it copies some of the original MTW files from the program, to the empty Sounds\MTW folder. First all of the Orders\Latin files, then all of the Frontend files.

COPY ..\Sounds\Battle\Orders\Latin\*.* Sounds\MTW\Orders
    COPY ..\Sounds\Frontend\*.* Sounds\MTW\Frontend

*Then the original Music folder files directly into the new Sounds folder (Mtw or MTW is the same to the DOS program).

ECHO. This may take a few minutes, have patience please.
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Battle 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Battle 2.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Battle 3.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Lose 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Mobilize 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Mobilize 2.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Mobilize 3.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Strat Summer 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Strat Summer 2.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Strat Winter 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Strat Winter 2.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Tension 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Tension 2.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Tension 3.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Win 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw
    COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Frontend.wav" Sounds\Mtw

*And finally the original Battle\Troops\Horn files into the Troops folder.

COPY ..\Sounds\Battle\Troops\"Horn_Euro_Alpine_Advance. wav" Sounds\MTW\Troops
    COPY ..\Sounds\Battle\Troops\"Horn_Euro_Alpine_Retreat. wav" Sounds\MTW\Troops

*All of them now reconfigured to fit a format that the SoundSwapperSTW program expects to see.

The “reconfiguration” is the key.

In the Medieval – Total War\Sounds folder you will now have the original game program sound files in their original configuration. And you will have the original game program sound files in the “reconfiguration” order inside the “new” Sounds\MTW folder.

When you copy the STW folder contents (guess you could do it whole, and answer “yes” to the copyover) that you made in the Shogun – Total War main directory, into the Medieval – Total War\Sounds\Sounds\STW folder, you will have a “reconfiguration” of the Shogun sounds.

When you run SoundSwapperSTW and select either the Shogun or Medieval files to be transferred, they are read in their “reconfigured” state, and are sent to overwrite the original game program sound files in their “original” configuration.

At any given time thereafter, you will always have “one” original configuration (either Shogun "or" Medieval) of sound files for the game program to use, and "two" sets of reconfigured files (Shogun "and" Medieval) that the swap program will use to reload your choice, when changing from one type of operation to the other.

Puzz3D:

This command: COPY ..\Sounds\Music\"Euro Battle 1.wav" Sounds\Mtw means the bat file has to be run from a folder just below the Sounds folder. The .. means to back up one folder and then the command goes down the Sounds\Music branch, gets EuroBattle 1.wav and copies it to Sounds\Mtw. Sounds\Mtw has no \ in front of it so it will be a folder under where you are running the SoundSetup.bat.

Make sure your system can find choice.com. Put it in C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

Jochi Khan:

Update to STWSounds install.............

I have now manually copied the files that Tomi listed in his post above.
    I still cannot get the STWSound to work.

Below is the information that I get when I run the the SoundSwapper.

STW SoundSwapper....Choose stats A STW Music
    B MTW Music
    C STW Orders
    D MTW Orders

A. The system cannot find the path specified
    0 file/s copied
    Repeated about 20 times STW Music

B. Sounds\MTW\Euro Battles1.wav
    The system cannot find the path specified
    0 file/s copied
    Sounds\MTW\Frontend\DESELECT.wav
    0 file/s copied MTW Music

C. The system cannot find the path specified
    0 file/s copied
    Repeated about 16 times Japanese Orders

D. Sounds\MTW\Orders
    0 file/s copied MTW Latin Orders

All the copied files appear to be in their right places.

Puzz3D:

Jochi,

Apparently, the SoundSetup.bat and SoundSwapperSTW.bat can't find the files to copy them. Those bat files have to be in the right place relative to the files they are trying to copy. This is the folder structure you need under your main game folder:

\Sounds

\STWsetup
    \STWsetup\Sounds
    \STWsetup\Sounds\MTW
    \STWsetup\Sounds\MTW\Frontend
    \STWsetup\Sounds\MTW\Orders
    \STWsetup\Sounds\MTWTroops
    \STWsetup\Sounds\STW
    \STWsetup\Sounds\STW\Frontend
    \STWsetup\Sounds\STW\Orders
    \STWsetup\Sounds\STWTroops

SoundSetupSTW.bat and SoundSwapperSTW.bat should be in the STWsetup folder. The Sounds folder and the STWsetup folder must be directly under the main game folder.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-20-2007 at 12:43.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Hi Puzz3D ,, Ive recently re-loaded MTW VI and getting back into it again afer some time on RTW+mods ,,, I still have some of the old mods and looking at getting some new ones including this one ,, My Question ... Should I wait until a next release or download this version ? cause it seems difficult to install as i been reading above ,, cheers .. DTS

Hi dimitros,

it sounds more difficult than it is.
    You actually only need the beta_7 and the beta_7_patch download. (see my signature)
    Both are installers that will ask you for the main directory of Medieval.
    Only if you want to copy the sound files of your original Shogun install over to the mod, then it can get a bit hairy.

Beta_8 should be finished soon (end of week hopefully) and will come as a single installer that does all the work but the sounds won't be included in it either.

R'as

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

If the next revision is going to provide a dedicated copy (no file swapping), then the sound transfers from STW should be a snap

Has anyone ever ask for “special permission” for limited distribution of the copywrited STW sound and voice files (can be done through a large file transfer site). It is not as if there was any profit making involved or anything.

I mean, at one time, the background music was being made available for free download from the dot com, and I don’t think it really should be a problem...
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama
    If the next revision is going to provide a dedicated copy (no file swapping), then the sound transfers from STW should be a snap
    dedicated copy = including the sound files?

Has anyone ever ask for “special permission” for limited distribution of the copywrited STW sound and voice files (can be done through a large file transfer site). It is not as if there was any profit making involved or anything.

I mean, at one time, the background music was being made available for free download from the dot com, and I don’t think it really should be a problem...
    I wouldn't even know whom to ask. It's my experience that PM's are ignored, not even read.
    Didn't they sell the music at one time? I had this discussion with YD and at that time it looked like it was for sale.
    Personally I have no problem with zipping and loading it up if it doesn't cause any legal probs.

R'as

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrios the samian
    Hi Puzz3D ,, Ive recently re-loaded MTW VI and getting back into it again afer some time on RTW+mods ,,, I still have some of the old mods and looking at getting some new ones including this one ,, My Question ... Should I wait until a next release or download this version ? cause it seems difficult to install as i been reading above ,, cheers .. DTS
    Wait for beta8. The impassable terrain problem on the beta7 maps is fixed and the castles are better looking and much stronger. I sent R'as the parameter file for stronger castles last night.

Thank you for the quick reply, now the music works well. BTW, I haven't downloaded Samurai wars 11b earlier, as I don't intend playing MP, and if I get it right, that one has nothing to do with single player.
    Co-leader of the Renaissance: Total War team. Our HQ is over at TW Center, in the Hosted Modifications sub-forum.

MISSIONARY for VI - High Era Member |Heerbann|_Luculus's Avatar

Default Beta8

Is Beta8 for campaign and multi-player ?

We had to play Valor One tournament last sunday. My clannies all had installed beta5 and now it works. We will play it the next days and hope we can fill a 4v4 next sunday.

Last edited by |Heerbann|_Luculus; 03-20-2007 at 14:11.

Default Re: Beta8

Quote Originally Posted by |Heerbann|_Luculus
    Is Beta8 for campaign and multi-player ?
    Yes, both.

Quote Originally Posted by |Heerbann|_Luculus
    We had to play Valor One tournament last sunday. My clannies all had installed beta5 and now it works. We will play it the next days and hope we can fill a 4v4 next sunday.

Glad you got it all working. The beta_8 will automatically install the German files you needed to copy manually. Same for French & Italian, but all languages will be set to English. No worries for not showing up, we had to do some beta_8 tests anyway and we're also playing in the v1 tournament.
    When beta_8 is out I'm sure Tomisama will come up with some nice idea for a challenging gettogether.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIstvaan
    Thank you for the quick reply, now the music works well. BTW, I haven't downloaded Samurai wars 11b earlier, as I don't intend playing MP, and if I get it right, that one has nothing to do with single player.
    Yes, 11b is only important for Multiplayer.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Many thanks to all ,, I will wait until the new version is released ,, I never played Shogun back in the day so i missed out on all the adrenalin rushes initially instigated by this classic ,, I figure/hope this mod is just as good if not better than the one that started it all off ,, About the music would be nice to be able to get it somehow ,, cheers for now ,, DTS

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrios the samian
    I never played Shogun back in the day so i missed out on all the adrenalin rushes initially instigated by this classic ,, I figure/hope this mod is just as good if not better than the one that started it all off ,,
    Battlefield weather effects and the atmosphere on the strategic map were better in the original game. You also had four seasons which affected both the strategic and tactical gameplay. On the downside, the strategic AI had no limit on the money it could spend (original STW), geshias stalking your daimyo were a pain and the AI taisho tended to suicide charge in battle. Samurai Warlords makes use of many of the enhancements to the strategic campaign gameplay of mtw/vi which is a plus, the battlefield AI is slightly different and the suicide taisho is fixed.

Just wanted to let everyone know the link in the very first post of this thread to patch 2.01 is broken. I also tried the link at totalwar.com.....support for MTW and their link is broken as well. Does anybody know a current link?

On another note I am trying to remember if 1.1 is the furtherest patch of the old MTW by itself.

A link for (almost) all patch-related requests is http://www.patches-scrolls.de

Quote Originally Posted by highlanddave
    Just wanted to let everyone know the link in the very first post of this thread to patch 2.01 is broken. I also tried the link at totalwar.com.....support for MTW and their link is broken as well. Does anybody know a current link?

On another note I am trying to remember if 1.1 is the furtherest patch of the old MTW by itself.
    Thanks I'll fix that.
    Here, try this link:
    http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-...ar/MTW/patches

You can access all TW related downloads via your forum menu. At the top is a menu bar, in it is an entry "Files". Try it.

1.1 is the latest for MTW.
    2.01 is the latest for VI.

1.1 is the latest for MTW.
    2.01 is the latest for VI.
    Just a reminder: If you are reinstalling VI from the ground up, you do not need to add the 1.1 patch to MTW before (or after) adding VI. VI has the MTW 1.1 patch in the install.

Some folks have had problems because of this error.

All you need is MTW, VI, and the 2.01 patch
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-21-2007 at 02:00.

dedicated copy = including the sound files?
    Dedicated meaning a copy of VI dedicated to only playing the Samurai mod.

That way there would be no swap files involved. No fuss no muss

Just remembering (or trying to): Some sound files did not have STW counterparts so substitutions had to be made. And the voice files had to be done seperately, but I don't remember the details on that. Was there a program to help...sorry I should just start looking through my file collection

After beta8 is released, I'll be transferring the sounds from STW, and I'll post my method at that time.

Dedicated meaning a copy of VI dedicated to only playing the Samurai mod.

That way there would be no swap files involved. No fuss no muss

Just remembering (or trying to): Some sound files did not have STW counterparts so substitutions had to be made. And the voice files had to be done seperately, but I don't remember the details on that. Was there a program to help...sorry I should just start looking through my file collection
    Okay, as said before, the beta_8 will be a complete overwrite.
    This means you preferably need an extra copy of MTW/VI.
    The other Medieval eras will not work properly.
    A paralell install with other mods is also not possible.
    For the stats and sounds this means that no swapping is required anymore.
    The installer will only be a single file and it will also install the sound import tool from TosaInu. (it needs slight alterations, though)

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I've been looking into checking this mod out, but decided to wait until the beta_8 was out. Never tried any other MTW mods before, so please forgive my ignorance. I should be able to install a second MTW/VI instance on my PC, and then put the beta_8 over top of that, while still maintaining my original vanilla MTW/VI, correct?

It's looking good, can't wait to try it out.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I've been looking into checking this mod out, but decided to wait until the beta_8 was out. Never tried any other MTW mods before, so please forgive my ignorance. I should be able to install a second MTW/VI instance on my PC, and then put the beta_8 over top of that, while still maintaining my original vanilla MTW/VI, correct?

It's looking good, can't wait to try it out.
    Hi drone,

yes it's possible to install MTW/VI a second time.
    But you can't use the install routine that's on the CD, that would give you an error telling you that you already have it installed. What you have to do to get a second install is actually much simpler (You just need your Windows Explorer and your mouse):
    1. Find the main "Medieval - Total War" folder on your harddisk. (default path is "C:\Programs\Medieval - Total War"
    2. Right click on the main folder and select "copy"
    3. Right click in the parent directory ("C:\Programs\" in this example) and select "Paste" (Insert). Your PC will now make a new folder called "Copy of Medieval - Total War" in the directory C:\Programs\
    4. Your "Programs" folder now contains two versions of Medieval:
    "C:\Programs\Medieval - Total War" and
    "C:\Programs\Copy of Medieval - Total War"
    5.You may now rename the "copy of" to "Samurai warlords" by right clicking the folder and changing the properties/ the name. (not required but looks better)
    6. As a last step you find the Medieval.exe file in your new folder "copy of...." and with the right mouse button drag it to the desktop and drop it there. From the menu that pops up when doing so, select "Create Shortcut".

You now have a second copy of Medieval and a shortcut to it on your desktop.

R'as

Yes, surprisingly you can just copy the folder, despite the involved installer. There's nothing noticably changed by the lack of registry information. Total win.
    "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity...
    ... the product of screwing being newborn virgins and the product of pacification wars being peace."

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Even better, thanks for the help.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123