Thread: why do the elephants never die

Default why do the elephants never die

the elephants in my game have all anmo and they are hard to kill

Default Re: why do the elephants never die

Why not make one thread "Just afew questions" and ask all of your question there?

it will have too many replys

The trick is to use lots of skirmishers and they might panic if attacked. If that does not work, slow them down, then surround them, then they fall like big, oafish redwoods.
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

You can either use skirmishers or archers ( esp if they use flaming arrows ).
    This will make elephants run amok , what will make them easier to kill , if they won't flee the battlefield after it.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clayton ballentine
    it will have too many replys
    Well, it's easier to find a large thread with 20 replies rather than than hunting for multiple threads with 5 replies.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Charge in a unit of troops that are useless to you to keep the eles busy. while they are pinned down (to a point) let fire the javelins and arrows. That should bring them down, eventually.

edit: just be careful not to let them get on your flank. if a unit of elephants manage to outflank you; it's pretty much over. Especially if they are the armored kind
    Last edited by Monk; 06-08-2005 at 17:42.

I found three things words best against the mighty war elephant;

• Spear men in open order; the spears will take a beating but do the job in the end.
    • Lots of javelin armed infantry (at worst the elephant unit spends the battle trampling a unit of worthless javeliners)
    • Best yet; javelin armed cavalry; they can keep away from the Elephants rather nicely.
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yup but what if they're eles with archers. the best thing is indeed jav cav. flame arrows can do the job, but they're very inaccurate.

We do not sow.

I have been using armored elephants in my S.E. campaign and I can say that the best way to kill them is with repeating ballistas and onagers. The A.I. once rebelled with an artillery-heavy army (gold sword and shield with double gold chevron to boot) and they managed to kill a large number of my armored elephants (also gold sword and shield). Unfortunately for A.I., I had four units of them...

Another time I was assaulting a city and a unit of elephants got stuck under the gate inside the city walls and they were shot up by the gate's ballistas; I lost 1 complete unit there.

If no artillery is available, skirmishers left on loose formation and take off skirmish mode and they should get in a couple volleys before they're gored, theoretically.

Javelin cav don't work against war and armored elephants. The elephant's archers have longer range and will shoot the cav to death. I never lost an elephant to javelin cav.

Flame Pigs work wonders on elephants. However, if you play a faction that can't built them, use javelin skirmishers / phalnx units.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the fried bacon, since I play a faction that can't build them. The Romans used it on me once; it was very effective in making my elephants run amok. Funny thing was, my elephants were the only units engaging their line, so they ran the Romans all over again hahahahaha

I find that flames are the best way to deal with elephants. I practically never use skirmishers once I get archers, so I rarely have skirmishers around.

Anytime I fight an elephant nation, if possible I like to have a couple units of pigs with me. They don't neccesarily kill the eles but that doesn't matter, running amok is good enough. If I have no access to pigs, I find if you concentrate all your arrow fire (flaming) on the ele's they run amok.

As a little side note, elephants are great arrow magnets. The enemy archers always attack the ele's so they are amazing to have on the flanks and so you can keep your army safe from archer fire until the battle. Works really good when you still have crappy infantry.

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

I think it is possible to use dogs instead of pigs , because they also make elephants run AMOK.
    Last edited by IliaDN; 06-09-2005 at 05:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the fried bacon, since I play a faction that can't build them. The Romans used it on me once; it was very effective in making my elephants run amok. Funny thing was, my elephants were the only units engaging their line, so they ran the Romans all over again hahahahaha
    i play without those damn pigs. they only use precious space in the descr_battle.txt

We do not sow.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Pigs are most effective but is more specialty solution as is velite gladiators. Puppies are certainly fun to send against eles.

Skirmishers are cheapest solution. Flame archers also good, just focus fire. Phalanxes work but are expensive. Use in combo for best effect.

Key is to stop the eles. Once they are immobilized, you will win the war of attrition.

The archers on top are annoying but just take the beating.

Woo Hoo. Warning level 5. You da man mate!
    This chap is unstoppable!
    Ancient Miniature Wargames

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

why did he get banned for

We do not sow.

nothing important.

a death threat was a part of it tho, along with the usuall stuff.

no the threat wasn't cuz you can't get warned for sending threats in PM"S.

We do not sow.

Err, what about the threat about sending flaming spam VIA email?

If you have a problem with CB's ban, PM a moderator. This is not the place to talk about it.