Poll: roman emperors - who was the most cruel and crazy ?

Thread: roman emperors - who was the most cruel and crazy ?

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

Default roman emperors - who was the most cruel and crazy ?

tiberius , caius caligula , nero , vitellius , domitianus , commodus , caracalla , heliogabslus or other ?
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: roman emperors - who was the most cruel and crazy ?

i would say NERO, hands down

We do not sow.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Caligula was defitinely stark raving bonkers.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

yep
    to kill your own mother ? he was cruel (nero)
    i voted for domitian because he was not insane when he ordered to kill his cousins , friends etc' he was as bad as a man can be
    Last edited by caesar44; 06-08-2005 at 21:05.
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Caligula was absolutely insane and cruel beyond reason. He made a horse a senator!
    He made himself a god, he erected temples for himself everywhere, he even made the jewish temple for himself(or was that someone else). This of course not to mention the way he had all his relatives killed.
    The bastard even stole Alexander's cuirass. You can only imagine how angry that make me.

Id say Nero.Tryid to burn down Rome so his magnificent Palace would fit somewhere.Caligula comes in close.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Tiberius.

Two Words: The Minnows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

I know who most of those guys were and its a hard call. All of them were pretty twisted in some way. Caligula sticks out in my mind as being expecially bad so i went with him.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Heliogabalus IMHO. According to "Lives of the later Caesars" he seems to have spent literally his entire time being, err, how shall I put this, passively "unmanly". Most of the others managed to acheive something, however minor, before going mad.

Making a horse a senator or burning Rome (if indeed Nero had anything to do with that) is at least memorable, which is more than can be said for, well, you know.

It does make you wonder who actually ran the empire since it was obviously nothing whatsoever to do with the emperor. Governors and civil servants I imagine
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

i voted for caligula.

Tiberus was not that bad at all. Suetonius was mostly interested in gossip storys.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Caligula , the man was so crazy , he even ordered to attack the sea...

Picture this , a full army ( with siege engines etc ) lining up on the beach, and then getting the order to assault and plunder it ( meaning collecting sea shells ) .
    He had a parade in Rome for that 'victory'

Although I find Nero to be a close second...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Smile Re: roman emperors - who was the most cruel and crazy ?

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Heliogabalus IMHO. According to "Lives of the later Caesars" he seems to have spent literally his entire time being, err, how shall I put this, passively "unmanly". Most of the others managed to acheive something, however minor, before going mad.

Making a horse a senator or burning Rome (if indeed Nero had anything to do with that) is at least memorable, which is more than can be said for, well, you know.

It does make you wonder who actually ran the empire since it was obviously nothing whatsoever to do with the emperor. Governors and civil servants I imagine

"lives of the later caesars" did you meant the "historia augusta" ?

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

It's either Nero or Caligula. After all, Nero let Rome burn to the ground (but he didn't play a fiddle) just so that he could build a new palace, but Caligula was just stark raving mad. He attacked the sea with a full roman army for pete's sake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I'm leaning towards Nero.

Why is Caracella a candidate? He never struck me as particulary insane, though he did kill his brother, he's chiefly remembered for extending Roman citizenship to all in the empire.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Who was the one that gutted prisoners on grass because he liked the red/green color-contrast? I believe it was Nero, I love crazy people

Quote Originally Posted by Germaanse Strijder
    I'm leaning towards Nero.

Why is Caracella a candidate? He never struck me as particulary insane, though he did kill his brother, he's chiefly remembered for extending Roman citizenship to all in the empire.
    Well, he ordered to slaughter the people in Alexandria for no particular reason.
    Thousnds of egyptians was killed without any reason.