Thread: Your secret will be revealed

Default Your secret will be revealed

Uh, what secret? Heh. I've never seen that particular threat before and thought it was pretty funny. Any guesses what it refers to? None of my faction members even have any sort of "secret" vices. I guess I'm tempted to fail the senate mission just to learn what my sinister secret is.

Default Re: Your secret will be revealed

lol i'd fail it (but save first :) )
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ah - interesting one, that. The 'secret' is a vice or collection of vices that you don't actually have yet. If you fail the mission, you will be 'investigated by the Senate', which has a 20% chance EACH of giving you the 'Lewd', 'Perverted', 'Sacrilegious', 'Arse', and/or 'Girls' vice, in quite large doses.

I think the said vice(s) is/are applied to your faction leader, but I'm not sure on the finer details of this trigger, having never been on the receiving end - perhaps someone else can clarify?

But the basic message is that if you fail the mission, you will probably acquire some nasty vices.
    Author of this humble treatise On the Feeding and Breeding of Governors and Generals

Pity Poor Pyropiggy!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i had that 3 times, but it always said. "you have friends in high places" cuz i play RTR in 25 years all the cursus honorius are taken by me (CH is jobs like concul and praetor)

We do not sow.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Multiple outcomes for this. One of them being a general/faction leader will commit suicide over the shame of his accusation. If you hold a good amount of senate offices the charges will likely falter. Also you can be fined up to 50,000 denari or maybe even more.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

I got pinged about 200,000 denarii fairly early in a campaign for failing one of these
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

OWWW! Wow...and to think I always sneerd at the penalties... But I suppose I always went ahead and did them. But geesh...200,000 I think I have had that much in a game maybe twice (one Macedon the other Seleucids).

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i have that every game. i even reached the maximum. 1.4 billion denari

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius
    Ah - interesting one, that. The 'secret' is a vice or collection of vices that you don't actually have yet. If you fail the mission, you will be 'investigated by the Senate', which has a 20% chance EACH of giving you the 'Lewd', 'Perverted', 'Sacrilegious', 'Arse', and/or 'Girls' vice, in quite large doses.

I think the said vice(s) is/are applied to your faction leader, but I'm not sure on the finer details of this trigger, having never been on the receiving end - perhaps someone else can clarify?

But the basic message is that if you fail the mission, you will probably acquire some nasty vices.
    Sorry I got side-tracked and forgot to report back the results of this interesting threat. Aesculapius had the right of it. My previously respectable Faction Leader (sharp/true roman/Quaestor) suddenly became "Aggressively Perverse", an extremely unpleasant sounding vice with a -3 influence modifier. Yuck.

I've seen the different Senate threats involving investigations resulting in fines or suicides, but I believe this was an entirely different threat and event trigger. I guess the moral of the story is if the Senate threatens to expose your secret, its probably worth doing what they want...

This also shows how it isn't important whether or not your governor or general actually HAS those traits or flaws, he is merely PERCEIVED as such.

The effect on his leadership is the same, regardless.
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Lightbulb Re: Your secret will be revealed

Since playing RTR I usually only follow senate assignment only when it suits me.. They keep asking me to invade peaceful/ally nation far away (such as Carthage) when all my concentrated efforts are towards Dacian and Gaul.

When my ally Macedon and me just finish exterminating the Greeks the Senate ask me to declare war on Macedon.

Shame them.

I just ignore them no matter what they ask me. Only follow if the faction I'm already at war with.

Now in they year 230BC and waiting for the Marian reform, building up my armies for the march to Rome. In 10 years time those pesky polotician will be put to death and ....
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

Dirty scum. Just invade now! And then slaughter the population, then tear down the buildings, then leave. Then get demolished by the rival houses...
    Its not flooding if you have something good to say.

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    Multiple outcomes for this. One of them being a general/faction leader will commit suicide over the shame of his accusation. If you hold a good amount of senate offices the charges will likely falter. Also you can be fined up to 50,000 denari or maybe even more.

I got fined by the Senate once, and a few turns later there was a message of "faction destroyed." Yes, I destroyed it. Anybody care to guess which was destroyed?

Why have I never got these events in my Roman campaigns? I try and annoy the senate as much as I can by ignoring their missions, but they just leave me be! What does a Roman have to do to be asked to commit suicide, I ask you!?!

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

I think when you earn the Senate's favour and then refuse them it happens most often. Most of the time I would be threatened with fines after failing to blockade a port two or more times. But each time I held most (if not all) senate offices and held at least twice as many territories as the other Romans. (just playing 1.2, working on my own mod )
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."