Thread: GTA San Andreas on the PC

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Default GTA San Andreas on the PC

Wow...

1280x1024x32, Anisotropic Filtering on max and draw distance on max it looks so good (not HL2 or Doom3 good, but good not the less)... It is so big or at least it feels that way to someone who never played it on the PS2.

The cars resemble real cars more than in any previous version and there is a greater persistancy in the objects around you (remember in GTA:VC) you would notice a nice car as you turned, but when you turned back it had vanished, this does not happen in GTA:SA...

The game has a lot less comedy then any of the pervious GTA titles, in fact I have not really encountered any comedy yet, just heaps of grit, crime and violence... Voice acting is excellent... If you liked any previous GTA you will love this and like I said above I maxed out the graphics setting and it looks great (the Anisotropic Filtering makes a huge difference) and my machine is no ninja, it is in fact aging a bit. AthlonXP +2600, 1GB RAM, nvidia 6800GT...

One thing to note, the full install of the game, a whopping 4.7 GB... Yes you did read that right!!!

Default Re: GTA San Andreas on the PC

4.7!!!!!!!!

Well I've been saving for this game for over a year now. Does anyone know if its out in Aus yet?
    Viva La Rasa!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I have it on the ps2. I really don't understand what people like about this game! It is boring

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

That's what I thought about the original GTA games, but I've never played them in 3D. I've been meaning to pick up GTA3 or Vice City on budget.

I'm a terrible driver though, that's what's really keeping me from playing those games
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

What is nice is the basic mechanics of the game between the 2d and 3d version remains absolutely the same. I find that there is little real replay value in the GTA3 games as they are a form of pretty linear RPG/adventure really. Once you have been through the story once then it is all old...

Vice City had some replay value because of the music (and the implicit Miami Vice association). Once you had finished the game, sometime you would start it up and find a nice car or bike to drive around listening to all the cool 80's tunes... If you are around 30 it probably means more to you...

For me the first time through is just like any adventure game except with cars, guns and a city (or three in the latest one), GTA:SA is even more so (at least so far into the game) then the previous versions...

I like to think of GTA3 as being like a Morrowind for the 3D shooter crowd...

Imagine what would have happened if Troka got hold of it.....
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 06-09-2005 at 13:52.

i liked this game better when it was called GTA3. i keep wondering how many times they're going to release the same game with different texture packs...
    obviously, you're not a golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyLebowski
    i liked this game better when it was called GTA3. i keep wondering how many times they're going to release the same game with different texture packs...
    Don't forget the better music...

That was certainly true for Vice City, but I don't understand how it can be applied to the latest release. The are changes in how the game plays and much more in the game.

But I guess if you didn't really take to the first initial games then there is little the new features of the latest one will do to change your mind...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Man...GTA San Andreas rocks!!!

Can't wait to buy the game!!!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

What`s the specs, does it work at my 512 megs of RAM?

4,7 GB is not that impressive as Brothers In Arms is 5 GB.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I borrowed the PS2 version of a friend for a few weeks. The only fun thing about it is the plane, and doing stupid things with them. Like landing them on the motorway. I once tried landing the jumbo jet on the motorway, but it just kept on going, knocking cars out of the way and destroy lamp-posts until it swerved off a tall bridge and fell and went boom. And, by using the jumbo jet, you can recreate the part of the film 'Cast Away'. You circle about until it's night, then go to the ocean, and do a sort of emergency landing. Let the plane start to sink, and then get out once it's half submerged. It looks quite cool. And, another thing is to get in the jet fighter, go high up above a motorway, and then get out. Once you parachute back down, observe the mighty pile-up that you're falling plane has caused. Another thing to do on motorways is to drive a bulldozer. On the wrong side of the road. You get a few cars to hit you, get out and run to the side of the motorway and watch the carnage unfold, as about 20 twenty cars just plow into your crash, with about half of them flipping over and exploding, causing all the other cars to explode, thus causing a huge simultaneous explosion. Or, bomb the motorway with satchels. One a load of cars come, detonate them, and KABOOM! Or, stick satchels to passing cars, and instant car bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

well i just got it for my PC installing it now

Efem, i picked mine up from Big W for $78 AUD pretty good price IMO
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

I am going to pick up the XBOX version of it when the price goes down to maybe 40 dollars. Too bad my computer can't hack it; it's old and creaky, and I swear it leaks oil.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Screw the PC version I'm getting the Xbox version. Same graphics (but lower resolution) no install.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Got the PC version yesterady, and it really is very good. i've only ever played previoes GTA3 incarnations in fits and starts, so it's pretty much a new experience to be able to follow the story. It got about 8 hours out of me yesterday, and I'm maybe 5%-10% of the way through the missions. Shame my broadband connection finallly comes live on Weds in a way, since i'll have a difficult decision about where to spend my gaming time for a bit.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I got this off The Attack of the Show on g4TV, there is mini sex part of the game (kind of like God of War) that you can shift camera angles and otherwise. Just to let all the interested folks know. (don't kill me)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Vice City > All Else. That's final.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

My little bro had GTA: SA for PS2, and I used to play it once in a while when visiting home. I had a lot of fun with it. Just a few days ago, I got the PC version. It was pretty crazy - it started raining, the sound totally messed up, and then all the textures flipped out and/or exploded.

I found out on one of the fansite forums for the game that if you turned off your hardware acceleration for sound in your DirectX settings that it should solve the problem, and I didn't think it'd work, but it did. Since then I haven't really had any problems, and I've been having fun with it.