Thread: How to become moderators

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Cool How to become moderators

Topic explains everything(especially for the mods to give us some info about their job)
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: How to become moderators

Hmmm, good question. I think you have to show responsibility, and a good attitude.

and be respected and liked in the community. Also a level headed person who's not prone to fits of madness...which rules me out

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

bribes work well too. *cough* Oh! ...i mean, yeah. A Good attitude, That's what I meant!

*mutters under breath* crap...now i'll be hunted for speaking out

Bribe??? How can I bribe for example KukriKhan or Gregoshi who are thousands of miles away from me!!!!

To the mods: Those who want, can become moderators???(of course, first a trial mode)

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Bribe??? How can I bribe for example KukriKhan or Gregoshi who are thousands of miles away from me!!!!

To the mods: Those who want, can become moderators???(of course, first a trial mode)
    Just joking

seriously. to become a mod there first must be a need for one. I'm not sure we have one of those atm.

To TosaInu:

Do you plan on making higher social classes for members??? Like "Important Member" or "V.I.P Member" ....

Proud

Been to:

...Senior Member?

I don't think we need different ranks of upper-class members.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Interesting thread, and while I do not speak for the Org I would like to put a few ideas out there.

First, as Monk mentioned, there has to be a need.

Once a need is recognized the leadership here looks for willing and acceptable volunteers. For example, there was a need for AMs in the Jousting Fields and Barracks (MTW MP forums). CBR and I threw our names out as willing to try and we were elected in a vote. In other cases members have made an offer to become a mod, sometimes the leadership is aware of someone who might be a good candidate and they ask them if they would be interested.

Almost always the recruits start as Assistant Moderators. AMs don't have all of the powers of a full Moderator, but I've found out that AMs have the complete support and backing of the big boys.

So if you want to try to help out a little around here, the best idea is to send the moderator of your favorite forum a quick note letting them know of your interest. Post responsibly and make contributions in the forum and let it happen on its own time.

Kukrikhan the other day made the point that we are all moderators in a sense. Each of us is responsible for our own posts, and for helping out where we can. That doesn't mean jumping into each and every issue, but every now and then a well-timed word can have a big impact.

Like I said, these are just my thoughts, certainly not official Org policy. I think its cool that people want to help out, I know I enjoy my little contributions.

ichi

ps

Do you plan on making higher social classes for members???
    Those who have contributed the most to the game, community, and forum are considered Senior Members . Post count and join date don't seem to matter, its all about doing things (mods, tourneys, game info, etc.).
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Wolf_NimbleNota Member NimbleNota's Avatar

Good Post Ichi, all those interested should read carefully, I myself Have been registered two years with a pathetic number of posts and very unknown within the TW community so if you want to be a mod do not do as me

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

=]IMDHO[=

1) Need.
    2) Normally a pool of candidates is thrown up for discussion. Obviously the current moderator(s) of the forum have to get along.
    3) Those candidates are normally chosen from candidates who show they can self moderate and dampen flame wars on the whole. Kurkikhan is very good at stopping flame wars.
    4) Mature enough to take responsibility for their own actions. Oops I threw Napalm on the flame war not Fire Fighting foam.
    5) Have a thick skin and a good sense of humour. Rob the Bastard is a classic example, Gregoshi as well.
    6) Relatively political moderate. Very hard thing to measure considering this is a world wide board.
    7) Available fairly often.
    8) Ready to find ways other then just upping warning levels.
    9) Ready to punish offenders when you have to. Some people are just too nice. Personally I carry a pair of bricks to use on offenders as I find castration gets most peoples attention... 'What is the sound of two bricks clapping.'

The candidate is PMed and asked if they would like to be a Moderator. It is not done in the Forums.

As always all patrons are expected to moderate themselves. In the end of the day it would be a much better board if the AMs and Moderators where more tour guides then on a tour of duty.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Why would one want to be a mod? Then you have responsibilities and you have to be nice all the time. That would destroy my nerves.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Indeed BP, it's often a thankless task. It's the 1 in 100 threads that 'take off' into unexplored territory, or that result in new understandings, or that demonstrably widen the contributor's views, that make the job a pleasure.

Like Pape said above:
    "...it would be a much better board if the AMs and Moderators where more tour guides then on a tour of duty..."

That's what we want to do: guide, help, facilitate. The discipline bit only comes into play when 'guide, help, facilitate' fails.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

But you get ' Power ' !

BTW do you really read every thread in the forum you're moderating ? Must be hell to mod the backroom at times, even if everyone behaves.

Respect !

Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

The task of being a moderator seems hard, but it's not so hard when you like the threads in the forum you are mod. I think. For instance, I won't want to become mod in RTW or MTW forums, because I don't know a thing on those games.

If there is need for a(n) assistent moderator in a forum I like, I'd love to serve the org. I do have time, but I don't know if I'm suited for it.

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

I'd like to moderate, and I have enough time for it.

But I don't think there's much chance that I'd be chosen, even if I asked very very nicely.

I'd have just enough time.... But there are mods, so I can't be one....

Proud

Been to:

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

When you become a moderator, do you have to change your avatar to the sort of veil one or are those just all the rage in the mod community?
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

You have a choice of robes...

Ones with Veils or Geisha.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

I'll take the old rags compared to what KukriKhan offered me any day!

Bring Back Buck

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Most of those arabic assasin avatar are so great! I wish I could use one!

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

The robes are great and SPF 50+.

Also to be more silent we use satin underlay.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Exclamation Re: How to become moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    =]IMDHO[=

1) Need.
    2) Normally a pool of candidates is thrown up for discussion. Obviously the current moderator(s) of the forum have to get along.
    3) Those candidates are normally chosen from candidates who show they can self moderate and dampen flame wars on the whole. Kurkikhan is very good at stopping flame wars.
    4) Mature enough to take responsibility for their own actions. Oops I threw Napalm on the flame war not Fire Fighting foam.
    5) Have a thick skin and a good sense of humour. Rob the Bastard is a classic example, Gregoshi as well.
    6) Relatively political moderate. Very hard thing to measure considering this is a world wide board.
    7) Available fairly often.
    8) Ready to find ways other then just upping warning levels.
    9) Ready to punish offenders when you have to. Some people are just too nice. Personally I carry a pair of bricks to use on offenders as I find castration gets most peoples attention... 'What is the sound of two bricks clapping.'

The candidate is PMed and asked if they would like to be a Moderator. It is not done in the Forums.

As always all patrons are expected to moderate themselves. In the end of the day it would be a much better board if the AMs and Moderators where more tour guides then on a tour of duty.
    kurkikhan didnt stop the flame war between me and (dont complain about spelling mastake) ranixa in the "europe barbarom mod" about bartix and armenia new units and was deleted!
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Patrons should always self-moderate themselves first. If you go to the gym, you do the pushups not your fitness trainer.

Is Kukrikhan listed as the moderator for that forum?

Personally I carry a pair of bricks to use on offenders as I find castration gets most peoples attention... 'What is the sound of two bricks clapping.'

I knew an actual farmer who used to geld his pigs with a pair of bricks, very much as you describe. One day I was talking with him about his methodology and I asked him if it hurt?

"Only if I catch me thumbs" he replied
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I grew up on a farm... to geld sheep they use a rubber ring that cuts off blood supply and after a while the testis go shrivel up and drop off... not sure which is worse.

Uhh... Macabre....

Proud

Been to:

So the next idiot we get here spamming the boards, down go the bricks and Pape gets out the rubber ring.....

*Apache sidles towards the door *
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

imho, the role of the assistant moderator is a strange one.

They are recruited to perform the actions of a mod when they are offline, but they cannot perform these duties as they have very limited powers. They merely act as stepping stones for the proper moderators, which is something which I believe undermines their position. The AM's should be given more power, instead of constantly having to converse with the main mod before anything can be done...if this is not altered, then what is the point/need for an AM?
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

I was thinking the same sort of things about the role of AM's. I also think they don't get as much respect as they should. And they need a different colour, (mods get green names, admin gets red) maybe they should get blue?