Thread: Picts?

Default Picts?

Not as a faction, obviously.

But will they get one or two scotland-specific units? It would be nice as romans if when I invades caledonia I was confronted with a horde of screaming tattooed long haired picts from the mountains.

Or can't you tell me?

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Re: Picts?

Picts are out of our timeframe.
    Cogita tute

My mistake, caledonians. The people that Agricola defeated at Mons Graupius (which is outside your timeframe also, but they were around during the game period)

Hmm, Now that I think about it a little more...*hff* maybe they just weren't very unique after all.

Were the Caledonians not Picts? I have heard them described as "Pictish" before.

I'm assuming that Khelvan's right and that the term 'pict' was not used to refer to the inhabitants of the area, but seeing as they werent conquored until the dal riada arrived a few centuries later, I guess they're the same people.

EDIT: Wait, I'v been reading what Ranika said in another post, and....seems like it's more complicated than that, basically (surprise surprise). Caledonians it is.
    Last edited by Greek_fire19; 06-11-2005 at 12:40.

The term Pict is first used in 297 AD, and does indeed refer to the Caledonian tribes, and was probably used because they, unlike the Romanised Britons south of the wall, still carried on the old practice of painting or tattooing themselves.

There is also a reference which talks of the "Caledonii and other Picts", so it seems to be a generic term for any of the free British tribes rather than a national or racial term. It is only later, during the "dark ages" that the term "Pictland" comes to have any meaning as a political description.

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Read here for a further explanation of Picts:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48133
    Cogita tute

Will there be Caledonians?

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

There will be at least one Caledonian unit, yes. As for Picts, they did not exist yet. The name comes from their tattoos (which Britons didn't do anyway in recorded history; Britons painted themselves, Picts gave themselves permanent tattoos) most likely. Caledonians are a seperate, very primitive culture compared to the Britons. Picts formed out of necessity, combining Caledonians with British refugees and Gaelic immigrants (it's more complicated than that, but, it's explained elsewhere).
    NÝ dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

Yep, I read your more detailed description in the 'if you could have as many factions as you wanted....' thread.

Actually, the name of the people aside, I was just curious as to whether the people of modern day scotland would get a unit. And they will :) . So thats fine.

Thanks.