Thread: I hate the AI

Default I hate the AI

Im doing a custom battle siege map. Im the seleucids defending against 3 roman factions on very hard, thought that would be fun. I want them to attack my walls with the siege towers and rams, not the... cant think of the name so I'll say catapults, so I give each roman faction 33k to spend on units 2 siege towers each, and a ram. I use about 50k on my guys so they have a chance.
    I load the game and position my men and wait for the siege to begin. The Julii family moves into range and tries to siege... good good. I check on the other sides of my city. The other two havent moved their siege engines. Instead they are having half of their army running alongside my wall, running to the Julii family Im assuming? Strange tactics... So I wipe out half of the Brutii and other family and push the Julii away from my walls.
    At this point the Julii decide their siege towers are useless and also run up and down my walls while their men are massacred. Then the Brutii and other family move their siege towers into range of my archers and towers, but then stop and wait for them to be destroyed.
    It just pisses me off when the AI does stupid newb tactics like that.

Just incase you lost me in my explanation:
    Julii sent two forces of hastati to storm my walls, they died and then the rest of that army ran along my walls until the towers killed them. Two other roman families moved siege engines into range and let them burn, then ran up and down my walls and died.
    Last edited by soibean; 06-11-2005 at 19:36.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: I hate the AI

Sieges and attacking AI = Worst AI in gaming history.

I find 95% of all sieges involving stone walls end in disaster for the AI. The last siege I set up had 2 AI armies attacking a stone wall city with my faction inside along with a few Senate units. The AI had 2-3 ladders each and a siege tower. None of the ladders were used - in fact half the ladders went in one direction, the others in the opposite direction, looking like something out of a Laurel & Hardy comic sketch. With one siege tower burnt, one tower is all they had to take on my city and were promptly killed. There seems to be some kind of basic error that makes the AI not use its siege equipment until a certain situation arises, as later on, perhaps when a section of wall has been stripped of its defenders , the attackers spring into action and try and use ladders and towers, but usually their army is all but dead by that stage. For whatever reason, they get stuck in a mode of being unable to do anything - except die, thus making you cringe painfully at their ineptitude.

Worst ever siege I had involved 3 AI reinforcement armies helping me assault a stone wall settlement. 11,000 men, around 8 sets of ladders, 3-4 siege towers, 3 rams, and only one of the siege towers was used and one ladder. At least 5,000 of the 7,000 men I lost were due to the AI controlled ones standing in front of towers and dying.

There is the occasional good siege battle, although most of them involve wooden pallisades, or better still, an unprotected Roman village. I recommend trying village battles, especially with 2-3 enemies - you'll be swamped from all sides.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Please do not talk about the seige AI....i find that if you have stone walls and archers, you can beat an entire stack without suffering any losses. And that is just sad. after all, all the AI does is just come up to your wall, and stand there, while they get killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yup, i just hate it. than gimme tha ol' MTW sieges back

We do not sow.

Default Re: I the AI

welcome to the official "This AI is AWFUL" club...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    yup, i just hate it. than gimme tha ol' MTW sieges back
    Last edited by IliaDN; 06-12-2005 at 10:11.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

cheers BRO

We do not sow.

We can only Hope BI will tweak it better....

"The key to immortality,is first liveing a Life worth remembering" Bruce Lee
    Also known as NightWar so add me for ETW MP fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jediknight73
    We can only Hope BI will tweak it better....
    Me too

PS:Welcome to the .org!

Attacking armies suck during a siege. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck.

I hate it that if they can't take the walls with the first 1-4 units they send in support of a ladder or tower, then they give up.

I have like 11 guys left in a unit. And they give up.

Or how about the time that they successfully breached the walls of my huge city (because I had too few defenders), and then got lost wandering around the streets? They finally gave up looking for the city square and the entire army fled the battle.

*note: obviously they were not trying to "find" anything. But you get the picture.

I sure wish they would use catapults and balistas more often, in the field or in a seige.

Now that you bring it up, attacking AI really IS terrible! My god! How could I have been so blind? I know. They suck.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    Now that you bring it up, attacking AI really IS terrible! My god! How could I have been so blind? I know. They suck.
    yeah, just the AI attacking in the field. you can win without a single mouse click. just sit there. the fun is diminished after that.

True...more AI and less eye candy would be nice.

EDIT: Welcome to the .org!

dictator by the people Member caesar44's Avatar

better AI ? neh
    "The essence of philosophy is to ask the eternal question that has no answer" (Aristotel) . "Yes !!!" (me) .

"Its time we stop worrying, and get angry you know? But not angry and pick up a gun, but angry and open our minds." (Tupac Amaru Shakur)

The worst bit is when you have to sometimes manually open your gate to try and entice the enemy to attack, if they just sit there out of bow range not moving at all.
    - I'm sorry, but giving everyone an equal part when they're not clearly equal is what again, class?

- Communism!

- That's right. And I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies 'til my shoes filled with blood to just roll out the welcome mat for the Reds.