Thread: Testudo Formation

Default Testudo Formation

Ive been following your mod for a long time now and was wondering, after experimenting this myself, how you plan on handling this famous formation that the romans created.
    In the vanilla version, the men slowly get into position and crawl forward on the map... understandable. The problem comes in that even with the shield wall, arrows still slice through with decent proficiency... somewhat less understandable but to continue. At that point the formation stops moving, sits there until a guy from the back runs forward to replace his fallen comrade... understandable again (getting sick of understandable arent you?) As he moves forward to replace the hole, more arrows come and kill more men, so there is no movement, only a vicious cycle of men dying as another slowly moves to the front.
    Is there anyway you've changed this so it is more accurate to its once god like anti missile state?

Default Re: Testudo Formation

I agree here. It's possible I was using the formation wrong, but I never really saw much use for it. Sure, the soldiers were less vulnerable to missile fire, but they also weren't firing back, and weren't moving very fast, which made them sitting ducks (in the long run, getting massacred anyway). I haven't seen its strategic value yet, at least in the game.

The formation was useful when archers, particularly the uber-egyptian pharoanic archers, had endless supplies of ammunition. Hopefully EB will cut down the archers' ammunition.

It cut down on missile kills by like 1% though its pathetic. I assaulted a town with a large wall and had my men go into testudo formation as they neared the siege towers. The men made it about 25% of the way then stopped as 4 were killed per volley. They made it to the wall with 40 of the 161 (I think thats huge isnt it?) When I had them run they made it at 90.

Large walls have scorpion style arrow throwing artillery in their towers. The scutum can`t provide cover from such projectiles.

I meant that the archers in the enemy army also caused this effect