Thread: This date in history:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Default This date in history:

June 12: 1987

U.S. President Reagan publicly challenges Soviet Premier Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Default Re: This date in history:

June 12: 1942

A girl named Anne Frank receives a diary for her thirteenth birthday.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

My Mom was born, son too (my wife, ex-, said she'ld have kept her legs crossed if she had known - and that after a delivery that took 8 hours).
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

On this day in history:

I woke up for the 14,772nd time.

"Good morning."
    Unto each good man a good dog

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Let's commemorate this day properly, since June 12th marked the premiere of both Cleopatra and Predator (in different years, obviously). A great day for film, and for humanity.

not to mention that June the 12th was only a prelude to June the 13th....and so it goes
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

June 15 1215

King John of England puts his seal on the Magna Carta.

The Great Western Schism: the Catholic world is rocked with a tripartite division as Petros Philargos is elected Pope Alexander V by the Council of Pisa, joining Pope Gregory XII in Rome and Pope Benedict XII in Avignon.

Benjamin Franklin proves that lightning is electricity.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pindar

Benjamin Franklin proves that lightning is electricity.
    Mrs. Franklin experiences her first orgasm the same day, claiming Ben was "fully charged!"
    Unto each good man a good dog

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Mrs. Franklin experiences her first orgasm the same day, claiming Ben was "fully charged!"
    LMAO!!
    Cheers on that one Beirut!
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

June 17:

Mumtaz Mahal died during childbirth. Her husband, Mughal emperor Shah Jahan I, then spent more than 20 years to build her tomb, the Taj Mahal.

The British forces take Bunker Hill outside of Boston.

17 June 1908

Siberia. A huge meteor streaks across the sky and explodes. It wipes out two villages and leaves a huge crater covering 400 square miles. But meteors smash into fragmentswhen they hit the earth. Investigators cannot find a single fragment when they explore the crater. The mystery object has vanished. If it wasn't a meteor, what was it?

June 27

Charles XII of Sweden pursues the Czar Peter into the Russian interior. After passing through a Russian scorched earth policy a battle hard but reduced Swedish force meets the Russian mass at Poltava. Charles XII is defeated.