Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Names

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Names

The "manner" of office ? What do you mean ?

Missi Dominici were people working for the Carolingian kings

Dungalloigh Brehonda Member Ranika's Avatar

Default Re: Names

That is to say, what are offices, as in, what is their purpose in game?
    Ní dheachaigh fial ariamh go hIfreann.

They grant bonus to named characters' stats.

Ah, alright. Don't have BI yet, so was unaware. Do all factions get offices? Could put them together for Ireland and Alba.

Well, in BI, I just noticed offices for the Sassanids and the Romans. But I think adding new ones is just like adding ancilliaries.

And yeah, we would happilly use offices for the Gealic factions, aswell as relics, legendary weapons and stuffs like that.

Alright;

Bonuses I'm not totally sure how they work, so what seems appropriate with these;

Gaelic offices:
    Ruire (King; Faction leader)
    Tanaise (Tanist; Faction heir)
    Flath ('Prince' or 'Chief'; regional governors/leaders, administrators as well as military leaders)
    Brehon ('Judge'; kept the peace, was in charge of organizing militias, as well as convened with other Brehon to vote on laws, and arbitrated in legal proceedings; every region had a few Brehon usually, selected from the most well-educated)
    Cuinnaran ('Coiner'; head of a mint)
    Ardtaidhleoir ('High Diplomat'; head chancellor of the kingdom)
    Easpag ('Bishop' of a region)

Gaelic ancillaries (I posted more elsewhere);
    Religious (Related to governing a province with religious structures)
    Manarch - A monk usually was included in a chief's retainers largely to help him keep track of finances and as a personal tutor. - +Management (in a chief's retinue, it's unlikely he would be converting many people, since monks had no one to delegate to)
    Ab - An abbot is a very learned monk, and head of a monastary. His signs of confidence in a leader are a boon, and he brings both considerable skill and a private cadre of monks to aide him. - +Christian conversion, influence, and management
    Sagart - A priest was not an uncommon part of a Gaelic chief's followers, for both keeping a region Christian, and for aide in managing finances, as Gaelic priests were often byproducts of the best local schools. - +Christian conversion, and management
    Easpag - A bishop entered into the personal retinue of a king or chief was a sign of prestige and influence; it represents a vote of confidence from the Church itself in the abilities of a man. - +Christian conversion, influence, and management
    Manarmainlia - A surgeon trained in a monastary is familiar with techniques to reduce pain, clean surgical tools, remove limbs, and staunch bloodflow; he, and his associates, are useful for improving the number of survivors after a battle. - +Increases number of survivors after a battle
    Scribhneoir - A scribe assigned to a chief or king takes an exhaustive record of his life; he copies down his speeches, major events, such as the birth of children, or death of close relatives or friends. - +Increases influence

Militaristic (Related to military structures or winning battles)
    Gasog - Military scouts search the nearby area, and examine an enemy's position to give a commander an improved idea of how to conduct a battle. - +Armies line-of-sight, and command
    Curadha - A champion in the service of a chief raises his men's morale and encourages them to fight harder. - +Morale to troops in the army, maybe an additional bodyguard or something if possible
    Cogaflath - A warchief is a skilled lesser chief who has shown a knack for command. Coupled with another leader, his abilities are useful for coordinating a battle. - +Command when attacking
    Dunflath - A fort-chief is a defender of a cashel, and is best used in this ability. - +Command when defending during a siege
    Seanlaochagal - A veteran soldier or mercenary of a foreign people is useful when fighting them. - +Command when fighting a specific culture (same basic ancillary of various types)

Civil (Related to governing a province with appropriate structures, like courts for judges, or markets for merchants/craftsmen, etc.)
    Brehon - A judge is a useful associate, both for keeping law, and keep one's self out of trouble. - +Law in a province
    Ceanna - A merchant is good both for his grasp of monetary matters, and his knowledge of the inner workings of trade. - +Trade income and management
    Baiera - A treasurer has an intricate knowledge of mathematics, taxation, and budgetting, and is of use in eliminating costly waste and overspending. - +Tax income and management
    Ealaiont - An artisan crafts something; banners, pictures, linen works, etc. This particular artisan crafts objects for his master's fame, such as elaborate metalworks or banners depicting his victories. - +Influence
    Ceoltoiri - A band of musicians sings praises about their master,and improve his image in the eyes of the people he governs. - +Influence and happiness
    Cogaceoltoiri - A band of war musicians sing and play war songs that help his men keep step when marching and inspire them before battle. - +Influence and morale of army

Some Relics/Objects;
    Leabhar Ciella - 'The Book of Kells' was probably crafted on Iona, but sent back to Ireland. It is a work of exquisite beauty and craftsmanship, a testament to the skill of the artisan-monks who designed it. It is a mainly Irish manuscript containing the Four Gospels, a fragment of Hebrew names, and the Eusebian canons, known also as the "Book of Columba". So beautiful is it, that when it originally turned up in Kells, Ireland, it was believed that only angels could've made it. - +Influence, and maybe Christian conversion {many times Celtic Christians converted pagans by preaching as well as displaying works of art like this}

Criosa Cillar - 'The Cross of Killarn' was later lost, but in its day, was an important symbol of Gaelic Christendom. Forged in Ireland, it was given as a gift to a Dal Riadan chief as a show of good faith, and ultimately, ended up among the possessions of the king of Scotland. It was fancifully decorated with images of angels around the host, and was attributed miracles; the host was said to bleed or weep at different times, and apparitions of angels were often attributed to it. - +Christian conversion

Brideleamh - 'The Hand of Saint Bride'. This is not a colorful term; this relic is literally the hand of Saint Bride, a beloved Irish saint. While later presented to Lisbon in Portugal as a sign of good relations, after Irish crusaders aided in taking the city from Muslims, it resided longest in Ireland, Scotland, and occassionally Wales. It was a widely travelled relic; Bride was loved by more than just the Irish, and the miracles associated with the hand were profound enough that everyone desired it to tour their kingdom. Visions of the saint, angels, the Messiah, and the Virgin have all been attributed to it at different times. - +Christian conversion

Ninnidhleamh - 'The Hand of Saint Ninnidh'; this relic does not actually contain Saint Ninnidh's hand. Ninnidh attended the dying Saint Bride, and was famed for having had his right hand encased in metal, as to never allow it to be defiled. This is the encasement. Lost, along with some of the relics of Saint Bride, during Norman raids, it was originally a part of the King of Munster's treasury, encased in a stone box, until he deemed to move it to Armagh. Like other relics of this nature, it was associated with saintly visions and inspirations, or healing those who touched it or prayed by it. - +Christian conversion

Padraightaisead - 'The Shroud of Saint Patrick'; this is not the final shroud of St. Patrick, but was one of two shrouds made by Saint Bride for Patrick's internment after he died. The second shroud was removed before burial, and hidden away for many years in the holdings of the king of Leinster, and appeared later, worn as a cloak by the high kings during their coronations; a symbol of divine providence and favor. Like many similar relics, visions and miracles are attested to it. Before it was lost, it was normally held, not by the kings, but by a shifting mileu of chieftains assigned to defend it. - +Influence and Christian conversion
    Last edited by Ranika; 11-03-2005 at 23:55.

Thanks Ranika, although I think the first 2 offices would fit better as traits.

Are there offices? Really?

Magyars had 3 kind of (known) offices.

Kende - sybolic leader
    Gyula - military leader
    Horka - judge

The exact use of the word gyula by the Magyars is unclear but, based on contemporary sources, many Hungarian historians believe that under the system of dual kingship which the Magyars used in the 9th century, the two kings of the tribal confederation were the kende (or kündü) and the gyula. While the former was the nominal leader, the latter was the chief warlord or military commander.

Horka or harka was a title used by the Magyar tribes in the 9th and centuries. According to Emperor Constantine Porphyrogennetos in De administrando imperio, the horka had judicial authority. However, in other sources the term horka was applied to a military leader (such as Bulcsú who led the Magyar forces at the Battle of Lechfeld). Certainly at some point in the 10th century the roles of horka and gyula (the chief warlord) had became similar, with the horka having authority in Western Transdanubia and the gyula in Transylvania in the east. In later sources the word appears only as a personal name.

The Faction leader can be the kende with many but only influence bonus. The Gyula can play the role of the faction heir as a commanding leader. I suggest to choose the Gyula by the command rank of the characters instead of the influence (?).
    The Horka can be a trait, too but the other two cannot get this office. He may get law bonus - what else?

Sorry, but I have not ever heard about "missi dominici" at asturian royal court.

They had personal bodyguards called gardingi or fideles, as in gothic times, and other court offices.
    I am still looking for that information.
    I´ll post here when I find it.

Thanks.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I hadn't thought of offices yet, but it's good. One example I can think of ATM is the BEK for the Khazar Khaganate. The faction leader is the khagan, but the Bek is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and in practise held much of the real power. Could be and office associated with influence and command stars.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Default Re: Re : Names

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Thanks Ranika, although I think the first 2 offices would fit better as traits.
    That's fine, but Alba should have 'Righ' for their king (technically he was considered a Flath or Flabh until he took control of southern Pictland, and then was referred to as 'Righ').

Is it possible for the Irish Ruire to become 'Ard Ruire' if they control all of Ireland? And how many offices are allowed? The Gaels had many minor officials and the like; I wouldn't include all of them in any event, but was thinking about 'Deais' (Chief) and things like that.

Default Re : Re: Re : Names

Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    Is it possible for the Irish Ruire to become 'Ard Ruire' if they control all of Ireland?
    No idea. I don't know how moddable are the conditions for acquiring traits.

And how many offices are allowed? The Gaels had many minor officials and the like; I wouldn't include all of them in any event, but was thinking about 'Deais' (Chief) and things like that.
    The more we have is the better. I don't think we'll reach the hardcoded limit on ancilliaries (if there's an hardcoded limit) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    I hadn't thought of offices yet, but it's good. One example I can think of ATM is the BEK for the Khazar Khaganate. The faction leader is the khagan, but the Bek is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and in practise held much of the real power. Could be and office associated with influence and command stars.
    Please, what do the ATM and the BEK mean? And HRE?

Btw Magyars got the idea of dual kingship from the Khazars.

Default Re : Re: Names

Quote Originally Posted by Csatadi
    Please, what do the ATM and the BEK mean? And HRE?

Btw Magyars got the idea of dual kingship from the Khazars.
    ATM = At The Moment
    HRE = Holy Roman Empire or the Central Frankish Kingdom, which is somewhat unhistorical for our period.
    BEK = I think that's just the word Bek with caps

I have looked at all my history books and knowed history links and I have found poorly information about asturican court.

king Alfonsus II (800-842) restored gothic Aula Regia (or royal Court). I´m not sure he restored exactly, but I am going to put you the offices of gothic Aula Regia in order to allow you use some of them (choose yourself as you like) as asturican offices.

- Rex (king) or faction leader.
    - dux (duke): military head of a province and usually also civil power. The only historical asturican dux was dux of Galicia (dux Galicarum). (++ influence)
    - Comites- singular comes (Count): were two kind of counts: local counts, as governors of towns and counties, and comites of "officia palatina" (royal court offices)

a) About local counts we know the powerful count of Castille (comes Castellarum) (+ influence and probably + command due to be a border county), count of Alava (+ influence), count of Bierzo (+ influence), count of Bureba (+ influence), count of Viseo (+ influence), count of Lugo (+ influence), count of Saldaña (or Saldania if you have not ñ) (+ influence), count of Carrion (+ influence), count of Dueñas/Duenias (+ influence)

b) royal court offices (remember, gothic offices, could not be as exactly as in asturias):
    - comes cubiculi: as in roman times, reliable person near the king, in order to advise him. (++ influence, - personal security, because of the envy and the court plots)
    - comes scanciarum: similar to majordomus in frank kingdom, but with no comparable power (+ influence)
    - comes thesaurorum: head of the royal treasure. (++ management, + tax collection- he does not listen at odd tales at the moment of tax collection )
    - comes patrimonii: administrator about royal inheritance possesions (+ management, could be + farmer and trader)
    - comes notariarum: he controls all the documents of the chancellory (+ management, + influence)
    - comes stabuli: head of the royal stables (I suposse + when command cavalry...)
    - comes spatariorum: head of the personal royal bodyguards (+ perosnal security and could be + command). I think this office really doesn´t exist at asturican times, so be sensible about it.
    - comes civitatis: major of the royal court town. Depend on where you put the capital it could be comes civitatis ovetensis or comes civitatis legionensis, but I think if you are going to let the player to move the capital it could be wise name it as simple "comes regis civitatis". (+ influence, + personal security)

Of course I will try to achive historial sure asturican offices, but you can begin with these ones.
    Good work, guys!
    Last edited by Nacheras; 11-04-2005 at 21:25.

Here am I again... :)

I think about agents (spy, diplomat, assasin), and could be you want to put surnames to them.

You can use the name+az or -ez about I´ve talking about yet. i.e Froilaz, Garces, Fernandez, Gonzalez, Ansurez, Sanchez, Velez, Vermudez, Ordoniez, Menendez, Ximenez or Jimenez, Nuniez, Munaz, Dieguez or Diaz...

In fact, I think that at IX century only the great nobles (magnates) used surname.

You can use the name of the birth town too. And then I provide you of a good list of towns to add as "of..." to the name:
    Cangas, Pravia, Compostela, Valtierra, Gijon, Cosgaya, Tuy, Astorga (Asturica), Lugo (Lucus), Oporto, Braga, Chavez, Viseo, Simancas, Ledesma, Agueda, Salamanca, Zamora, Toro, Saldaña, Mabe, Amaya, Oca, Avila, Segovia, Sepúlveda, Clunica, Arganza, Osma, Miranda, Revenga, Cenicero, Carbonaria, Alesanco,Palencia, Valladolid, Sahagun, Santillana, Burgos, Lamego, Soria, Coca, Vitoria, Calahorra, Najera, Orense, Mieres.
    Last edited by Nacheras; 11-04-2005 at 21:42.

Default Re: Re : Re: Names

Meneldil: thanks. I found also 'bek'.

Default Re : Re: Names

Quote Originally Posted by Nacheras
    Here am I again... :)

You can use the name of the birth town too. And then I provide you of a good list of towns to add as "of..." to the name:
    Cangas, Pravia, Compostela, Valtierra, Gijon, Cosgaya, Tuy, Astorga (Asturica), Lugo (Lucus), Oporto, Braga, Chavez, Viseo, Simancas, Ledesma, Agueda, Salamanca, Zamora, Toro, Saldaña, Mabe, Amaya, Oca, Avila, Segovia, Sepúlveda, Clunica, Arganza, Osma, Miranda, Revenga, Cenicero, Carbonaria, Alesanco,Palencia, Valladolid, Sahagun, Santillana, Burgos, Lamego, Soria, Coca, Vitoria, Calahorra, Najera, Orense, Mieres.
    Unfortunatly, agents and characters share the same name lists, so either we use surnames for everyone (except captains) or we don't use them at all. Do you know an 'asturian' equivalent for 'of' ? 'De' ?

Default Re: Re : Re: Names

Unfortunatly, agents and characters share the same name lists, so either we use surnames for everyone (except captains) or we don't use them at all. Do you know an 'asturian' equivalent for 'of' ? 'De' ?
    Mmmmh, difficult question. In fact, there was not "asturian language" in that time. All the official documents were scribed in latin. Surely, as in other parts of "Romania", there was a popular spoken local version of latin, that in later centuries derived in galaic, asturian, leonese or the more spreadly castilian, but first documents in that languages belongs two centuries after the beginning of game.

"de" is "of" in modern spanish, not at that time.
    If you want to achieve maximum reality, you must to use latin forms for asturian names (and arab forms in arabic alphabet for andalusies ). In fact, most of names I have provide you are modern form spanish names of old latin, gothic or pre-roman names.

i.e, if you want to name a character as "Vermond of Oviedo", you can post "Vermudo de Oviedo" in modern spanish, but if you want to be historical exactly, you must name as "Veremundus ovetensis" (I think, cause I´m not an expert in latin ).

Is your choose which form will be used. IMO has no sense to use spanish modern forms, except could be for names without known original forms. And has little sense use a "mix" of spanish, latin and english.
    Using latin forms you really hit a good kick of historically accuracy, but you will need a latin expert, and most of the names I will provide will remain untranslatable or simply posted as "macaronic latin".

Sorry, I don´t know if I have helped you or have I confused you more.
    In any case please don´t doubt about questioning anything.

Good work and go on.

Well, yeah, we'll try not to mix ancient latin, modern spanish and visigothic

The best would be to have some good latin speaker, cause he would be helpful for both Asturians and Franks.

Btw, could you help me by providing a list of all the names you posted in alphabetical order, kinda like Csatadi did in the previous page ? That would be really handy, cause I currently have a lot of work (studying, helping EB, testing the viking factions )

Well, yeah, we'll try not to mix ancient latin, modern spanish and visigothic
    The best would be to have some good latin speaker, cause he would be helpful for both Asturians and Franks.
    Btw, could you help me by providing a list of all the names you posted in alphabetical order, kinda like Csatadi did in the previous page ? That would be really handy, cause I currently have a lot of work (studying, helping EB, testing the viking factions )
    Male asturian names

Adaninus
    Adeca
    Adefonsus/Athalfuns (goth)
    Aierio
    Aldroitus
    Aloitus/Alois (german)
    Alvarus
    Annaia
    Ansuro
    Antin
    Anton
    Antonius
    Apringius
    Arduca
    Arias
    Aurelius
    Ausonio
    Adolfus/Astholf (lombard)
    Bagauda
    Beatus
    Belaius
    Bellidus
    Berengarius
    Bernardus
    Boronta
    Bureus
    Calorato
    Casius
    Cesius
    Cervelius
    Christophorus
    Chrsituevalus
    Cisila
    Dia
    Didaco
    Diego
    Dulcidus
    Egerius
    Eita
    Eiximenus
    Elias
    Elipandus
    Elisipus
    Emerardus/Hemerard (goth)
    Eulogius
    Favila-Fafila
    Felix
    Ferdinandus/Ferdinand (goth)
    Fidelius
    Flacencius
    Flacianus
    Flaino
    Flavius
    Florentius
    Fortis
    Fortunius
    Fredegarius/Fredgard (frank)
    Froila
    Garcia
    Gatonius
    Gemellus
    Genesius
    Gisando
    Glimirus/Gelmir (goth)
    Gomis
    Guntericus
    Gustio
    Gutierre
    Harmonius
    Hermenegildus/Ermenkhild (goth)
    Heterius
    Holalio
    Ienesius
    Iohannes
    Kintila
    Julianus
    Lope
    Lucas
    Mames
    Manricus/Mannrikh (goth)
    Martinus
    Matrolo
    Maurecatus
    Melendus
    Menendus
    Monnio
    Monito
    Montano
    Nepotianus
    Nunio
    Nonito
    Odoarius
    Opila
    Ordonio
    Orvano
    Pascual
    Pelagius
    Penoio
    Pepi
    Petrus
    Puniolus
    Radolfus/Randolf (goth)
    Raimundus/Radimund
    Ranemirus/Radomir (goth)
    Recafredus
    Recaredus/Rekhard (goth)
    Revelio
    Rodanio
    Rodericus/Rodrikh (goth)
    Rotibus
    Samson
    Sancio
    Sarracinus
    Saulus
    Savaricus
    Scipionus
    Sebastianus
    Servandus
    Severus
    Silo
    Soario
    Sonna
    Stephanus
    Suinitus
    Tellus
    Teoda
    Teodila
    Teodulfus/Teodulph (german)
    Teudemirus/Teodomir (goth)
    Tinnus
    Tizo
    Toribius
    Usunnio
    Uzerius
    Valerius
    Veila
    Velascus
    Veremundus/Vermund (goth)
    Victorius
    Vida
    Vigila
    Vimaranus/Vimara (goth)
    Vincebilis
    Vincentius
    Zamma
    Zezius
    Zoilus
    Zonius

Female asturias names

Aba
    Adosinda
    Aldonza
    Anella
    Argilo
    Bermesinda
    Brunila
    Caudiosa
    Creusa
    Christina
    Elvira
    Ermesinda
    Faquilo
    Favinia
    Froiliuba
    Galla
    Goto
    Hildegarda
    Icka
    Leodegundia
    Marina
    Masita
    Munia
    Nunia
    Nunilona
    Oneca
    Ozenda
    Paterna
    Sancia
    Sara
    Savilli
    Terencia
    Teudilla
    Tezana
    Thisiena
    Togia
    Urbana
    Urraca
    Valeria
    Verilde
    Ximena

Male Basque (kingdom of Navarra) names

Antzo
    Asnar
    Bela
    Eblo
    Enneko
    Fortunio/Fortun (basque)
    Garcia
    Gondesalvo
    Gustio
    Rodericus/Ruy (basque)
    Sanctius
    Sigerici/Geriz (basque)
    Ximeno/Gemeno (basque)

Female basque names

Aldoncia
    Anderazo
    Belascuza
    Belasquita
    Çinara
    Constanza
    Domeca
    Domicussa
    Elvira
    Emazteona
    Endregoto
    Fronilla
    Iuxta
    Jurdana
    Justa
    Leguntia
    Lupa
    Maria
    Mencia
    Muniadona
    Oneca
    Ortissa
    Sancia
    Toda
    Urraca
    Yenega
    Zianna

Hispanic Mark (catalonian and aragonese) male names

Acenar
    Albinus
    Aleran
    Angelinus
    Ansur
    Arifred
    Armengol
    Arnaudus
    Asnarius
    Babila
    Bela
    Belasco
    Bellon
    Bera
    Berenguerius
    Bernardus
    Bertrand
    Bivas
    Borrelius
    Bradila
    Centollius
    Cesarius
    Chacus
    Dacho
    Dato
    Elias
    Enneko
    Ermennisculus
    Estebanus
    Exemeno
    Ferriolus
    Filgolo
    Fortunio
    Galindus
    Garsia
    Gerallo
    Gilbert
    Guillem
    Gundisalvo
    Hug
    Humfred
    Incalzatus
    Magier
    Maiolphus
    Mancio
    Mascarone
    Martinus
    Miro
    Odalric
    Odila
    Oleguer
    Oliba
    Oriol
    Petrus
    Pontius
    Porcelius
    Ranimirus
    Rampo
    Raymond
    Raterus
    Robert
    Rodebaldus
    Rodulf
    Sabarinus
    Sancio
    Salomon
    Sampiro
    Savigildus
    Scemeno
    Scluva
    Suniarius
    Sunifred
    Uincentius
    Vida
    Vigila
    Wifred
    Wiliesindus
    Witard

Hispanic Mark female names

Ahalaez
    Ailo
    Ato
    Balla
    Cixilona
    Dadildis
    Emma
    Emon
    Ermisenda
    Ermisindis
    Fakilo
    Maria
    Matrona
    Petronila
    Richildis
    Vinidildes

All them are real names, from around 750 until around 1030.

I hope this list will be enough, because I´m exhausted (remembre, that dismish the moralle ) of searching history books.

Next day I´ll post about surnames in latin.
    But first I will take a short "historic holiday". Surely I´ll pass my time playing RTW-BI or RTR

Thanks a lot Nacheras. I'm adding them to the game right now

btw, I have a question.

I suppose that in RTW hardcore there is some problem about the order number of kings, due to never appears an Seluco II i.e, or a Alexander III. Always the royal name is different for any king.

Please tell me if I´m in right. If it´s so, its a really pity, because at least in asturican royal familiy some names repeats mostly (Ordonio, Radomir, Adefonsus, Garcia) and the correct way for the game should be a large list of Radomir II, Ordonio III or Adefonsus V.

Thanks

That's unfortunately not possible as far as I know. It might be possible to work something with traits, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I sent you a PM, could you check your box ?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Hey people,

Last year a some friends and I collected a few namelists for the Modlet (link in my sig.) Everybody vanished after RTW was released and some even abandoned TW modding at all. But I decided to complete the thing "as is", ie with whatever at hand and release it as an incomplete beta. Anyway, I've taken on the name lists since yesterday, formatted some of them, verified bits and pieces etc. AFAIK the naming format from MTW to RTW hasn't changed, so MTW formatted lists must work in RTW too. (If they are different I can convert them in Excel.)

Anyway, here are the lists we have at hand:

German (HRE era), aquitaine + languedoc + provence, aragon, baltic peoples, castillia + léon, welsh, irish (probably obsolete when you have Ranika instead ), czech, armenian (kilikian), french, english, swedish, khazar, kievan rus, kypchaq/cuman (approved by Forgus today ), polish, lithuanian, mongol mixed with uyghur, norse, papal, rhomaioi (byz.), scots, finnish.

Here are the ones (male only, forenames and surnames seperately) I formatted for MTW use:

castillia + léon, german (HRE), french, kievan, polish, rhomaioi

I'm doing the rest as we talk.

I can upload/post/send one of you if you need them. As they're not solely my work credits should be cited:

solo, Eastside Character, Tricky Lady, Swordsmaster

Btw, I see you have name CTDs. It happens if you use any character not found in the English alphabet in the ["label"] part. Use them only in the {"data"} part. Ie:
    Code:
    ["Tunon"]	{"Tuñon"}
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Hey Mouzafphaerre, any help with the names would be really appreciated. I'm not sure which names we could use for our mod, so I'll likely send you a PM once we've made up our minds.

The CTD issues were solved thanks to Teleklos.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Fine (no CTDs). I just read the first page, so...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Nacheras, do you know what was the exact title of the King of Asturias ? Something like Rex Asturiarum I guess. Too bad I forgot all my latin

Rex asturorum.
    Last edited by Nacheras; 12-13-2005 at 01:14.

Many of the offices you're mentioning here vary from mispelt to inaccurate to non-existent. You a charlatan ranika?

Alright;

Bonuses I'm not totally sure how they work, so what seems appropriate with these;

Gaelic offices:
    Ruire (King; Faction leader)
    Tanaise (Tanist; Faction heir)
    Flath ('Prince' or 'Chief'; regional governors/leaders, administrators as well as military leaders)
    Brehon ('Judge'; kept the peace, was in charge of organizing militias, as well as convened with other Brehon to vote on laws, and arbitrated in legal proceedings; every region had a few Brehon usually, selected from the most well-educated)
    Cuinnaran ('Coiner'; head of a mint)
    Ardtaidhleoir ('High Diplomat'; head chancellor of the kingdom)
    Easpag ('Bishop' of a region)

Gaelic ancillaries (I posted more elsewhere);
    Religious (Related to governing a province with religious structures)
    Manarch - A monk usually was included in a chief's retainers largely to help him keep track of finances and as a personal tutor. - +Management (in a chief's retinue, it's unlikely he would be converting many people, since monks had no one to delegate to)
    Ab - An abbot is a very learned monk, and head of a monastary. His signs of confidence in a leader are a boon, and he brings both considerable skill and a private cadre of monks to aide him. - +Christian conversion, influence, and management
    Sagart - A priest was not an uncommon part of a Gaelic chief's followers, for both keeping a region Christian, and for aide in managing finances, as Gaelic priests were often byproducts of the best local schools. - +Christian conversion, and management
    Easpag - A bishop entered into the personal retinue of a king or chief was a sign of prestige and influence; it represents a vote of confidence from the Church itself in the abilities of a man. - +Christian conversion, influence, and management
    Manarmainlia - A surgeon trained in a monastary is familiar with techniques to reduce pain, clean surgical tools, remove limbs, and staunch bloodflow; he, and his associates, are useful for improving the number of survivors after a battle. - +Increases number of survivors after a battle
    Scribhneoir - A scribe assigned to a chief or king takes an exhaustive record of his life; he copies down his speeches, major events, such as the birth of children, or death of close relatives or friends. - +Increases influence

Militaristic (Related to military structures or winning battles)
    Gasog - Military scouts search the nearby area, and examine an enemy's position to give a commander an improved idea of how to conduct a battle. - +Armies line-of-sight, and command
    Curadha - A champion in the service of a chief raises his men's morale and encourages them to fight harder. - +Morale to troops in the army, maybe an additional bodyguard or something if possible
    Cogaflath - A warchief is a skilled lesser chief who has shown a knack for command. Coupled with another leader, his abilities are useful for coordinating a battle. - +Command when attacking
    Dunflath - A fort-chief is a defender of a cashel, and is best used in this ability. - +Command when defending during a siege
    Seanlaochagal - A veteran soldier or mercenary of a foreign people is useful when fighting them. - +Command when fighting a specific culture (same basic ancillary of various types)

Civil (Related to governing a province with appropriate structures, like courts for judges, or markets for merchants/craftsmen, etc.)
    Brehon - A judge is a useful associate, both for keeping law, and keep one's self out of trouble. - +Law in a province
    Ceanna - A merchant is good both for his grasp of monetary matters, and his knowledge of the inner workings of trade. - +Trade income and management
    Baiera - A treasurer has an intricate knowledge of mathematics, taxation, and budgetting, and is of use in eliminating costly waste and overspending. - +Tax income and management
    Ealaiont - An artisan crafts something; banners, pictures, linen works, etc. This particular artisan crafts objects for his master's fame, such as elaborate metalworks or banners depicting his victories. - +Influence
    Ceoltoiri - A band of musicians sings praises about their master,and improve his image in the eyes of the people he governs. - +Influence and happiness
    Cogaceoltoiri - A band of war musicians sing and play war songs that help his men keep step when marching and inspire them before battle. - +Influence and morale of army

Some Relics/Objects;
    Leabhar Ciella - 'The Book of Kells' was probably crafted on Iona, but sent back to Ireland. It is a work of exquisite beauty and craftsmanship, a testament to the skill of the artisan-monks who designed it. It is a mainly Irish manuscript containing the Four Gospels, a fragment of Hebrew names, and the Eusebian canons, known also as the "Book of Columba". So beautiful is it, that when it originally turned up in Kells, Ireland, it was believed that only angels could've made it. - +Influence, and maybe Christian conversion {many times Celtic Christians converted pagans by preaching as well as displaying works of art like this}

Criosa Cillar - 'The Cross of Killarn' was later lost, but in its day, was an important symbol of Gaelic Christendom. Forged in Ireland, it was given as a gift to a Dal Riadan chief as a show of good faith, and ultimately, ended up among the possessions of the king of Scotland. It was fancifully decorated with images of angels around the host, and was attributed miracles; the host was said to bleed or weep at different times, and apparitions of angels were often attributed to it. - +Christian conversion

Brideleamh - 'The Hand of Saint Bride'. This is not a colorful term; this relic is literally the hand of Saint Bride, a beloved Irish saint. While later presented to Lisbon in Portugal as a sign of good relations, after Irish crusaders aided in taking the city from Muslims, it resided longest in Ireland, Scotland, and occassionally Wales. It was a widely travelled relic; Bride was loved by more than just the Irish, and the miracles associated with the hand were profound enough that everyone desired it to tour their kingdom. Visions of the saint, angels, the Messiah, and the Virgin have all been attributed to it at different times. - +Christian conversion

Ninnidhleamh - 'The Hand of Saint Ninnidh'; this relic does not actually contain Saint Ninnidh's hand. Ninnidh attended the dying Saint Bride, and was famed for having had his right hand encased in metal, as to never allow it to be defiled. This is the encasement. Lost, along with some of the relics of Saint Bride, during Norman raids, it was originally a part of the King of Munster's treasury, encased in a stone box, until he deemed to move it to Armagh. Like other relics of this nature, it was associated with saintly visions and inspirations, or healing those who touched it or prayed by it. - +Christian conversion

Padraightaisead - 'The Shroud of Saint Patrick'; this is not the final shroud of St. Patrick, but was one of two shrouds made by Saint Bride for Patrick's internment after he died. The second shroud was removed before burial, and hidden away for many years in the holdings of the king of Leinster, and appeared later, worn as a cloak by the high kings during their coronations; a symbol of divine providence and favor. Like many similar relics, visions and miracles are attested to it. Before it was lost, it was normally held, not by the kings, but by a shifting mileu of chieftains assigned to defend it. - +Influence and Christian conversion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast