Thread: Help required - Damsel in distress

{KoL} Berzerker {Duke} Member {|DK|}Berzerker{Cpt}'s Avatar

Default Help required - Damsel in distress

Ive played happily for 6 months bur recently I am having serious login problems when i try to get into multiplayer gamespy via the game. It keeps saying 'Account Details Incorrect' I have reinputted all the info. I have logged onto gamespy and logged off and tried again. I have tried playin thru the gamespy website but the same happens.
    I have reinstalled the game and it worked for a while. Then i hosted a 4 v 4 got an error message at the end of the game saying YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE SERVER. When i tried logging on again it said 'Account details incorrect' this has been an intermittent problem for the past few weeks but this time no matter what i do it will not let me in! I have tried reinstalling gamespy and deleting all my gamespy accounts and makin new ones but nothing seems to work. Has it happened to you? Any ideas?? Ive exhausted all my ideas!

yours puzzled frustrated and confused
    {DK}Berzerker
    Knights of Legend {KoL} MTW and VI clan
    please visit us on www.kolclan.kk5.org
    KoL Berzerker Duke

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Help required - Damsel in distress

Hmm open your MTW folder and see if you can find a file called gstats. Delete it if you find it.

CBR

Why is there a gstats?

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cha
    Why is there a gstats?
    And that is a damn good question. Some players started noticing some problems logging in, I think that was spring last year, and by chance noticed this gstats.dat file.

Its not a file that normally is there so we can just conclude GameSpy did something new around that time and that causes problems to some gamers.

CBR

I noticed the problem in June 2004. After hosting an MTW/VI 4v4, I got disconnected and couldn't logon to GameSpy because of "details incorrect" no matter how many times I tried. Getting disconnected after hosting a 4v4 was an old problem, but before June I could always relog ok. I checked my account info, and everything looked right. At the time, I had another install of MTW/VI which did allow me to logon. So, I compared the main folders of the two installs, and I saw the gstats.dat file in the one that didn't work. The file isn't a text file. I didn't try a hex editor on it. So, I deleted the file, and then I could logon. I found other players experiencing the same problem, and they were getting around it by reinstalling the game. I posted about this issue at the official site, and there was no response from CA.

I contacted Activision Customer Support. They told me the GameSpy software had changed in late May, and that the problem I was having was a compatibility issue betwen the client (MTW/VI) and GameSpy, and that it wasn't Activision's responsibility to fix the client. This is interesting because it's Activision who authorizes patches to the client software. Of course, Activision isn't going to authorize anymore patches to MTW/VI. So, there is no way to get this problem or any compatibility problem with GameSpy fixed on a product such as MTW/VI that has been end-of-lifed.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2